PDA

View Full Version : PZero Nero on X3

OCNYBMW
02-04-2007, 08:40 AM
I have searching around and came across using the Pirelli PZero Nero M+S on my X3. Does anyone have any experience using these? Since I live in NY, I wanted to have decent all season tires that may work OK in snow.

I currently have the Bridgestone Turanza's with 33000 miles on them. I think that any tire will be an improvement. I am also considering the Pirelli Scorpions as well.

Thanks!

sayemthree
02-04-2007, 10:42 AM
I have Pirelli PZero Nero M+S on my S4 Avant Quattro - they are very good tires, much better than the stock Contis. they are good in rain - have not tries snow yet but the guys on Audiwork like them for occaisonaly snow where you dont need dedicated snow tires. they are a good price and good treadwear also.

XMN
02-04-2007, 11:08 AM
I have some P PZero Scorpions on my X3 but I am in Cali it has never been in snow though. I also think they are better than the Conti's on my M3 just haven't changed them out yet but I will. Also have P P ZN on my 545 like them also. I have been thru some tires and I like the Pirellis the best but that is just my opinion though.

There are pics in my garage.

Be Easy

Rick

dug01
02-04-2007, 01:07 PM
I have searching around and came across using the Pirelli PZero Nero M+S on my X3. Does anyone have any experience using these? Since I live in NY, I wanted to have decent all season tires that may work OK in snow.

I currently have the Bridgestone Turanza's with 33000 miles on them. I think that any tire will be an improvement. I am also considering the Pirelli Scorpions as well.

Thanks!
I assume you are looking at High and ultra high performance M&S tires--looking at tire rack survey section the Michelin pilot and thepirelli p-zero nero are tied for 2nd in the ultra performance m&s category--but the michelin is is $211.00 and the pirelli is $79.00 and both have treadwear of 400--seems like a no brainer. :thumbup:

iversonm
02-04-2007, 06:28 PM
They are nice tires, but you'll find their snow performance to be inadequate in NY.

If you really want to go at it with one set of tires, you'll probably want to go a little further down the performance spectrum.

OCNYBMW
02-04-2007, 07:07 PM
Thanks for the help. My reasoning behind this tire, is mainly the great price ($79/tire) and that I got through some major snow storms with the Bridgestone Turanzas. The PZeros are rated much higher with regard to snow and ice that the Turanzas.

98'Kashmere
02-04-2007, 07:37 PM
I have Pirelli pzero nerro M+S on my M-pars. These tires are SWEET! Quiet! Smooth! Great looking!

:thumbup: :thumbup:

iversonm
02-05-2007, 02:01 AM
Thanks for the help. My reasoning behind this tire, is mainly the great price ($79/tire) and that I got through some major snow storms with the Bridgestone Turanzas. The PZeros are rated much higher with regard to snow and ice that the Turanzas.

To give a little more information, I tried the very same approach on my 330, and found the tires to be useless in snow. I gave up and bought winter tires.

However, I am running very wide tires: 225/40R18 in the front and 255/35R18 in the back, so your results may vary.

The tires (now summer only) have performed well. They have performed well as a street tire, but would not cut it in a track setting. They perform well in the wet, as well as cold weather, as long as the snow stays away.

They have grown a little noisy as they near the end of their life. I'll get about 25k out of them if I had to guess, and they have about 15k right now, stacked in the garage for winter.

The only other complaint I have is that they lack a heavy bead on the sidewall to protect the rims from curbs, so I'm extra cautious parallel parking.

BTW, even with pretty high performance 225/45HR17 winter tires, my 330 will soundly outperform my X3 in winter conditions, with the exception of acceleration. The performance gap in acceleration is closer than you think, however. Tonight I drove the X3 back form a superbowl party in the snow, and was surprised at how much wheel slippage I got accelerating, and how poor the traction was cornering.

In contrast, my snows just seem to bite.

I'd recommend that you go this way, but I doubt that I'll talk you in to buying two sets of tires and a set of wheels at once.

OCNYBMW
02-05-2007, 07:50 AM
You're right snows will definately be best. What type of tires do you currently have on your X3?

iversonm
02-05-2007, 09:54 AM
You're right snows will definately be best. What type of tires do you currently have on your X3?

The OEM Pirelli Scorpions.

The 330 has (obviously) the P Zero Neros in the summer, and Bridgestone LM-25s in the winter.

You might look into the Scorpions. They seem to be a pretty good all purpose tire for the climate we live in.

OCNYBMW
02-06-2007, 07:26 AM
Thanks! The Pirelli Scopions seems to be very good. But they are very similar to the PZeros in the ratings. It is true that they are made for light trucks and SUVs and the PZeros are for cars. Since the ratings are very similar, and I made it through many storms using Turanza's (which are car tires as well), I am going with the PZeros M+S. They are only $79 pre tire. Amazing price!!