PDA

View Full Version : Brrrrrr, 10 below. Tire pressure monitor error?

brh_minn
02-05-2007, 05:32 AM
Hey all-

I live in MN, and last night (this morning as well), my tire pressure monitor light came on. I have a 2007, so I have the actual monitor of pressure, not the "rotational" flat tire monitor.

I looked at the tires,and they all seem fine, but at -13 I didn't go and check the pressure in each. I know that air contracts in colder temps, and this would likely cause the pressure to drop, but I have not seen this at all, and it has been 3 to 5 below a couple of nights.

I am guessing that there is nothing here but cold, but I jsut wanted to see if I was in a boat by myself, or there were others. Of course, the boat is not going anywhere as all the lakes up here are frozen solid...

the528i
02-05-2007, 06:15 AM
i have a buddy with a new '07 im in PA its 3 degrees and he said he got a tire pressure error as well

jimoreno
02-05-2007, 10:03 AM
They are fine! with this temperature difference its expected to have a lower pressure (lower temperature + same volume = lower pressure). Mine is the same but it is only lit yellow and last time I checked my tires they were -0.5 to -1.5 psi of the recommended setting.

I guess its another way to know that its doing its job!

Cheers!

erikbmw1
02-05-2007, 04:11 PM
I get the same thing when we have a big temp chang.... Still take a lok at them tho myself to be sure.:D

pilotman
02-06-2007, 04:55 AM
I consider this to be a malfunction, although our 2006 X3 does it too.

The reason I say it is a malfunction is none of our other cars suffer from this problem (Toyota, MB).

I really hate the false positives, what good is the system if it isn't reliable and can't adjust for temp changes? Toyota and MB's systems do, they have *never* falsely tripped, and it was -6 here this morning...

x3pig
02-08-2007, 07:45 AM
2007 X3 3.0si here in Canada - so far we drove it in temperatures from +8C to -20C and never got the tire pressure warning. Having read all the posts I wonder whether it even works :)