PDA

View Full Version : SEAT BELT INDICATOR programming

dennisuy
02-05-2007, 07:29 AM
guys... been wondering what it would take to get the SEAT BELT warning indicator to be activated...

I notice that this indicator lights up just before ignition...but stays off after....

would simple programming of some of the options activate this SEAT BELT WARNING feature...
:dunno:

asked the dealer to get this done... but they said that their computer mambo jumbo is on the brink that day...so I have to wait for the next service schedule

AzNMpower32
02-05-2007, 01:58 PM
Wait, so you're saying that your seat belt light in the instrument cluster doesn't light up if you unbuckle your driver's seat belt while driving? That's a problem........

dennisuy
02-10-2007, 07:30 AM
isn't the seat belt warning light supposed to remind you to buckle up? even before the car moves?

after the engine starts...the seatbelt warning indicator stays off......so putting the seatbelt on or off doesn't influence this at all...

are you saying that once I am buckled up and moving....unbuckling this would cause the seat belt warning indicator to light up?

AzNMpower32
02-10-2007, 09:01 AM
isn't the seat belt warning light supposed to remind you to buckle up? even before the car moves?

after the engine starts...the seatbelt warning indicator stays off......so putting the seatbelt on or off doesn't influence this at all...

are you saying that once I am buckled up and moving....unbuckling this would cause the seat belt warning indicator to light up?

Yes. When I start the car, the seat belt indicator light comes on and stays on until I fasten the seat belt. If I unbuckle the seat belt while I'm driving, the light also comes on. You should get this checked.

The reason it might matter, is because the airbag deploys differently depending on whether or not the occupant has their seat belt fastened; it deploys at a lower intensity if it is not fastened. This is a safety issue that ought to be resolved.

dennisuy
02-12-2007, 04:22 AM
thanks so much for this warning...

I'll get this checked as soon as possible....all the while I thought this was a default programming option ...

:thumbup:

simoncpw
02-12-2007, 05:33 AM
I believe different "options" were pre-installed on the X3 for different market.

I'm in Singapore, and my X3's seat belt warning also lights up only briefly just before engine starts (regardless of whether I'm buckled up or not). Whereas the seat belt warning in my wife's 5 series does detect whether a person is in the seat and buckled up or not.

This might be one of the ways to bring down the local price on the X3 slightly, especially seat belt warning isn't required by law here.

I doubt it can be activated just by programming, as it probably would require a sensor underneath the seat to first detact if someone is in the seat, then another sensor to detect if the seat belt is buckled up!

X3 of Miami
02-12-2007, 06:51 AM
wow i wish it can be deactivated ... its soooooo annoying! (i know... i know... its a safety thing) but i still woudl love to deactivate it

AzNMpower32
02-12-2007, 04:40 PM
wow i wish it can be deactivated ... its soooooo annoying! (i know... i know... its a safety thing) but i still woudl love to deactivate it
Well, unlike some people's X3s on this board. mine doesn't beep or b*tch at me. Just a red warning light. I feel sorry for those people who have any vehicle that sounds sirens, flashes warning lights, or both when anyone unbuckles the seat belt........I know how annoying it can get. We rented a Toyota Avalon once, and I'd occasionally unbuckle my passenger belt to get something in the backseat. The incessant chime and flashing light was :mad: and I wish I had a massive hammer to whack the dashboard. I mean, the panels were already misaligned.........who'd notice the damage?

But I digress. I think a warning light suffices. Nothing more or less.

dennisuy
02-13-2007, 03:27 AM
thanks SIMONPW....

I almost thought that I had an unreported defect on my X3.... I'll check with the other owners of X3s here...and see if this indeed was a suppressed feature for ASIAN X3s