PDA

View Full Version : What do you think, how much will E90 cost ?

Alex Baumann
01-07-2003, 11:35 AM
I know it's purely theoretical, but what do you think, how much will the upcoming E90 might cost ?

And what kind of options are you guessing (or for some of you, afraiding :D ) that will find it's way on the new 3 Series ?

Kaz
01-07-2003, 11:47 AM
I think BMW will be forced to hold the line on pricing, so a 525i MT (lowest current E39 config in US) will probably remain <$39k MSRP. What may happen in order to get there is product decontenting, which Detroit has started doing again this year.

New stuff predictions, good or bad:
-Improved Servotronic (I'd really want this; my steering is too heavy)
-Swiveling headlights
-Brake force indicating taillights (already on facelift E39 2dr)
-Radar and/or preset (E65) cruise control
-Keyless Go
-bigger moonroofs
-6sp AT or CVT
-Autodim outside mirrors (E53/65 I think)
-ugly silver interior trim (until someone realizes this crap is hideous)

The HACK
01-07-2003, 11:59 AM
Since the E90 is more than 2 years away, I think some on this list will more than likely make it:

-Improved Servotronic (I'd really want this; my steering is too heavy)

It's probably more likely it'll get the tricky assisted steering from the up-coming 5 series...You know, the Active Steering.

-Swiveling headlights

Tough, tough call...I know it's not going to make it in the next 5 series so the chances of it being introduced w/ the E90 is damn slim.

-Brake force indicating taillights (already on facelift E39 2dr)

Ditto. This is almost a given...It'll be there.

-Radar and/or preset (E65) cruise control

I see this as an optional package (convenience package?) on the E90, if it makes it onto the E60 platform.

-Keyless Go

?:dunno: Not likely to happen...You mean the starter button, right?

-bigger moonroofs

Maybe they'll move back to the steel, cranked sunroof to save cost? Don't think the California roof type moonroof would make an appearance on the E90...Would be interesting to see a targa type top on the coupe though.

-6sp AT or CVT

CVT maybe...Although I don't see BMW using CVT for larger displacement engine. 6 speed AUTO will only likely make it after a couple of years of production, if and when the E60 gets the 6 speed auto as well.

-Autodim outside mirrors (E53/65 I think)

One can only hope...Probably packaged with the convenience or premium package only, again, IF the E60 gets this as standard.

-ugly silver interior trim (until someone realizes this crap is hideous)

GASP! Could be worse, it could be fake carbon fiber interior trim. :p

Mr. The Edge
01-07-2003, 12:00 PM
between $28,000 and $50,000 for the various incarnations

The HACK
01-07-2003, 12:10 PM
What I thing the E90 WILL have, is the following:

2.5 liter, 200 HP Valvetronic engine or 3.0 liter, 250 HP Valvetronic engine.

Active Steering.

Convertibles will have a folding hard-top.

Pop-up DVD based nav like Z4.

6 speed manual/6 speed SMG, 5 speed auto until 2-3 years into production.

Tire Pressure Monitor standard. Run flat tire optional, full size spare optional.

LED tail-lights like the E65.

BRAKE BY WIRE. Mark my word...

The tricky suspension from the E65...Active roll control

De-contented iDrive optional, must order DVD.

Powerseats will revert back to an option instead of standard with 3.0

Climate control will revert back to optional.

Base price for 2.5i will be ~$29,500 MSRP, base price for 3.0 will be ~$37,000. Coupe 2.5 will be ~$31,000, 3.0 will be $37,500. Convertibles will cost upwards of $40,000 BASE. Touring models will not be offered.

There will actually be a slight weight reduction, the 2.5i sedan and coupe will weigh in at around 3,100 lbs, and the 3.0i will weigh in at less than 3,200 lbs. 0-60 for the 3.0i will officially be 5.9s and 2.5 will be in the 6.5-6.8 range from BMW.

And yes, I'm pulling all this stuff out of my fat ass.

The HACK
01-07-2003, 12:12 PM
How long do you think it'll take Autospy to take what's posted here and compile it into a sneak preview of E90 option list?

·clyde·
01-07-2003, 12:15 PM
Originally posted by The HACK
How long do you think it'll take Autospy to take what's posted here and compile it into a sneak preview of E90 option list?

What time is it?

aardvark
01-07-2003, 12:41 PM
I would think a CVT option would be a virtual certainty in lower-displacement European models of the E90. All indications are that the CVT will be an option in the 1-series/2-series. Thus, I think it's a pretty safe bet that CVT would be available for E90 318/320 models.

Kaz
01-07-2003, 01:29 PM
Since iDrive or iDriveLite is a given auto AC will come with it, but it will be the E65/85 style with knobbage.

I have already confirmed with Thomas Jefferson that L6 Valvetronic will NOT make it in time for E60 launch, but a year or so later, so it will be in time for E90.

Oh, and I have to make a correction on my original post; I was thinking E60, not E90. :D

DaveN323i
01-07-2003, 01:37 PM
Costs? It seems to me that because BMW is adding the 1 and 2 series as the entry lines, it may move the E90 to the slot where the E39 is. The next 5 series may be moved to the slot of the E38.

Just my gut reaction.

Plaz
01-07-2003, 01:56 PM
Originally posted by The HACK

:lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

PhilH
01-07-2003, 02:01 PM
Price will go up slightly due to new 1-series/2-series, but I agree with Hack that $29,500 is about right for the 325i (ok, maybe $29,900).

Valvetronic and increasing competition will push horsepower up and acceleration times way down. The valvetronic 3.0 better be 260hp plus to win any "atta-boys" from the people working in the BMW marketing department. I just hope the engineers aren't dicatated to by the marketing folks to tune the engines for peak horsepower at the cost of weaker mid range torque.

Alex Baumann
01-08-2003, 02:47 AM
@Hack

Swiveling Headlights (Adaptives Kurvenlicht in german) will be available on the E46 Coupe/Cabriolet Facelift models. :)