PDA

View Full Version : HELP!!! X3 w/ Nac looking for a SPRINT phone that WORKS with bluetooth

X34Lilpeps
02-06-2007, 02:51 AM
:mad: I have tried two phones so far: treo 700wx and a rinky dink A640 by Samsung

I just want a SIMPLE phone that will work and sync address book with my beaut of a SAV!

PLEASE help! The cheapest simplest phone is fine, I just need good batt power that will take me through the day making a fair amount of calls. No need for anything fancy tho a camera would be nice :)

ANY help much appreciated!

r6girl
02-06-2007, 03:37 AM
there are 2 sprint phones that bmw has officially stated are compatible: http://www.bmwusa.com/owners/bluetooth/phones

why don't you try one of them if you want to be sure of compatability?

pilotman
02-06-2007, 04:52 AM
there are 2 sprint phones that bmw has officially stated are compatible: http://www.bmwusa.com/owners/bluetooth/phones

why don't you try one of them if you want to be sure of compatability?

Right, the *only* phones that BMW will help you with are the ones listed on their website. Get one of those, its that simple.

Others may work, but you are on your own and your dealership isn't obligated to fool around with them.

X34Lilpeps
02-06-2007, 08:51 AM
Then I am confused, why are there so many threads about finding sprint phones that actually work? :dunno: I mean, if it's that simple...

X34Lilpeps
02-06-2007, 09:00 AM
Right, the *only* phones that BMW will help you with are the ones listed on their website. Get one of those, its that simple.

Others may work, but you are on your own and your dealership isn't obligated to fool around with them.

BMW fails to tell you on that crap of a site that Sprint no longer offers the treo 650, only the 700wx and the 700p. I've tried 700wx with crappy results. Before overhauling to the blackberry 7103e (a soon to be out dated phone) I poked around to see if it worked, all I have seen are complaints. From what I can tell most people use Phone M500 by Samsung or the a920 by samsung.

But liked I said, just trying to figure out which phones ACTUALLY work, not the two phones BMW has told us to buy. Moreover, I can't believe that after getting 45+ from me, BMW is to lazy to keep up with A) Which sprint phones actually work, but more importantly B) The phones they actually OFFER. Treo 650 has been long gone. Like months. :thumbdwn:

r6girl
02-06-2007, 10:47 AM
BMW fails to tell you on that crap of a site that Sprint no longer offers the treo 650, only the 700wx and the 700p. I've tried 700wx with crappy results. Before overhauling to the blackberry 7103e (a soon to be out dated phone) I poked around to see if it worked, all I have seen are complaints. From what I can tell most people use Phone M500 by Samsung or the a920 by samsung.

But liked I said, just trying to figure out which phones ACTUALLY work, not the two phones BMW has told us to buy. Moreover, I can't believe that after getting 45+ from me, BMW is to lazy to keep up with A) Which sprint phones actually work, but more importantly B) The phones they actually OFFER. Treo 650 has been long gone. Like months. :thumbdwn:

not sure what to tell you. as i'm sure you've seen from here and other forums that finding compatible phones beyond what bmw lists can be a bit of a crapshoot.

here's a thread that seems to be a continuous archive of phones people are trying with their bmw's and listing what works: http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=78474

if it makes you feel better, complain to bmw about their list of approved phones and your dissatisfaction with it. bmw is in the business of making great cars, not keeping up with phone technology. personally, i'm happy to let them focus on their core business and not worry so much about new phones and bluetooth compatability. at the time i bought my X3, the bluetooth feature didn't even appeal to me, but i ended up finding one with it that had all the other packages and features i wanted, so i got it. had finding a compatible phone even been a priority for me, i would have researched that before plunking down my $40k+...

X34Lilpeps
02-06-2007, 11:37 AM
Totally agree with, it was just a great feature that I wanted to yuse and was assured by my sales person that it would be fine and work sooo easy. I am not a tech person so I trusted him, now I am stuck :( Thanks for the info!

If anybody has any other suggestions I appreciate it

r6girl
02-06-2007, 01:17 PM
Totally agree with, it was just a great feature that I wanted to yuse and was assured by my sales person that it would be fine and work sooo easy. I am not a tech person so I trusted him, now I am stuck :( Thanks for the info!

i hear you on that! i didn't know my X3 had voice command capability until i found information here and tried it out. my sales guy didn't say anything about voice commands! :rolleyes: but he was absolutely great otherwise, and i'd still recommend him to others...

makes you wonder how much education the sales advisors really do get on all the features of the cars they sell (or how much they paid attention to what they were taught). from now on, i'm going on the assumption that they don't know a whole heck of a lot and will take what they say with a grain of salt... :D

vern
02-06-2007, 02:12 PM
i hear you on that! i didn't know my X3 had voice command capability until i found information here and tried it out. my sales guy didn't say anything about voice commands! :rolleyes: but he was absolutely great otherwise, and i'd still recommend him to others...
... :D
When you talk about VC do you mean for your phone or other functions ?
cheers
vern

r6girl
02-06-2007, 03:06 PM
When you talk about VC do you mean for your phone or other functions ?
cheers
vern

for the phone only (i don't have navigation, which i think includes a whole host of other possible voice commands to control it, plus the heating/AC, etc.). i can save names to my X3's phone book and dial by name, or dial by reciting numbers, etc.

vern
02-06-2007, 03:20 PM
for the phone only (i don't have navigation, which i think includes a whole host of other possible voice commands to control it, plus the heating/AC, etc.). i can save names to my X3's phone book and dial by name, or dial by reciting numbers, etc.
Thanks I have Nav and nothing happens with VC. Thats why I asked. Maybe you would know something I didn't. Thanks again. Any luck with your first aid kit under the drivers seat?
cheers
vern

X34Lilpeps
02-06-2007, 08:13 PM
With the VC, does the dealer show you how to work this? What is the easiest way ot figure it out? read the manual?

r6girl
02-07-2007, 04:35 AM
Thanks I have Nav and nothing happens with VC. Thats why I asked. Maybe you would know something I didn't. Thanks again. Any luck with your first aid kit under the drivers seat?
cheers
vern

nothing happens with voice command in your X3? that doesn't sound right - you have the premium package as i do, and same model year. so when you hold down the button with the talking head on it on your steering wheel for 2 seconds or so, you don't hear the car beep at you? i really think you should have this feature with the premium package that includes bluetooth & bmw assist...

that first aid kit box is sitting in a cupboard in our garage. the dealership couldn't find the right bolts to order for it, and i haven't yet raided my husband's supply of self-tapping bolts to install it... :angel:

vern
02-07-2007, 04:58 AM
nothing happens with voice command in your X3? that doesn't sound right - you have the premium package as i do, and same model year. so when you hold down the button with the talking head on it on your steering wheel for 2 seconds or so, you don't hear the car beep at you? i really think you should have this feature with the premium package that includes bluetooth & bmw assist...

that first aid kit box is sitting in a cupboard in our garage. the dealership couldn't find the right bolts to order for it, and i haven't yet raided my husband's supply of self-tapping bolts to install it... :angel:
It does beep but I'm talking about VC to tutn on the Radio,CD,Nav Instructions etc. like on my 530i.
cheers
vern

pilotman
02-07-2007, 05:02 AM
It does beep but I'm talking about VC to tutn on the Radio,CD,Nav Instructions etc. like on my 530i.
cheers
vern

if you have a 2007 you can't control NAV by voice commands.

you can only voice dial use phone commands etc.

JSY
02-07-2007, 09:42 AM
The only way I found out about the commands that work on my 2007 was saying 'HELP' after the car beeped and the computer would then read a list of commands that were valid. Other than that, I don't recall it being mentioned much at all in any of the manuals. It was actually a pleasant surprise by discovering it by trial and error but I bet a lot of people have it and don't even know much of it.