PDA

View Full Version : Need advice regarding service

Richard B
01-07-2003, 05:15 PM
I just bought my wife a 2001 330Ci and need some advice regarding the servicing of the car. Is it best to take it to the dealer for servicing or will I be ok taking it to an independent shop? For those that take it to an independent shop is there much $$$ savings? If it's ok to take it to an independent, can anyone in the Los Angeles area recommend a good shop to service the car?

thanks

eric5150
01-07-2003, 05:24 PM
1. If you got it CPO or new, you have maintenance covered by the warranty. Take it to the dealer if this is the case for the free stuff. You can't beat free.

2. If you want to get together with other enthusiasts, there's the HACK sessions (check the DIY forum for the next one coming up, they average about 1 a month)

3. Absolute Automotive at (626) 440-9777. They are in Pasadena, recommended to me by SoCalTom, who is the area Z3CCA rep.

I recommend the HACK sessions, as this is a great way to meet some of the people on the board, and get to know your car. If you bring good beer, you can even get HACK to do most of the work for you. ;) :angel:

Whatever works for you.

Eric

Richard B
01-10-2003, 09:48 AM
Thanks, what is a HACK session?

eric5150
01-10-2003, 10:16 AM
If you check the DIY forum on this board, you will notice that it is administered by The HACK. He, along with several of us, have made it a sort of 'ritual' to have these things once a month or so to fix/upgrade/wrench/break/swear at our cars.

Usually you will run into VinceTopazBlau, Raffi, Kaz, Scottn2retro, Opprtunockity (or however he spells it), myself, others (apologizes profusely for having a lame memory) at these events. We generally perform oil/brake changes, Vince has done steering wheel replacements, sway bar instralls/lubing, etc. Just a bunch of people getting together to do some 'shade-tree mechanic' work on the cars.

Here is the current thread (for some reason, it was called a 'techsession this time) regarding it HACK Session (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=17562)

They are always fun, and people just coming to hang out are not discouraged, feel free.

Hope to see at one soon!

Richard B
01-10-2003, 10:37 AM
Sounds good. Thanks for the info and hopefully I can get to one of those HACK sessions...I'm in the middle of my MBA program now so time is slim....but maybe after graduation in Aug I can come out and meet some of you guys...

operknockity
01-10-2003, 08:14 PM
Originally posted by eric5150
Opprtunockity (or however he spells it)
Just don't spell me "late for dinner" :D

Matthew330Ci
01-11-2003, 11:55 AM
1. If you got it CPO or new, you have maintenance covered by the warranty. Take it to the dealer if this is the case for the free stuff. You can't beat free.

just one clarification, CPO cars do not come with free maintenance, just extended warranty.

eric5150
01-12-2003, 10:20 AM
Originally posted by Matthew330CiM
just one clarification, CPO cars do not come with free maintenance, just extended warranty.

Then don't tell my dealer - I bought my Z3 as a CPO and they performed the maintenance up to the 50K mile mark - (Oilservice and an Inspection I).

So, as with all answers here, YMMV. ;)

Matthew330Ci
01-12-2003, 12:53 PM
Then don't tell my dealer - I bought my Z3 as a CPO and they performed the maintenance up to the 50K mile mark - (Oilservice and an Inspection I).

So, as with all answers here, YMMV. ;)

which dealer is this? sounds like a pretty cool dealer... i see you're in the so cal area...

eric5150
01-13-2003, 08:35 AM
Purchased from McKenna (they had a low mileage CPO in the Steel Grey, no one else did at that time) - Serviced at Assael (Close tohome).