PDA

View Full Version : Infamous Sunroof Rattle

kjboyd
02-07-2007, 10:54 PM
My sunroof rattle has finally gotten to me. Can those of you who have had it "fixed" tell us if it really has been fixed? and what the solutions were? I think in my case, the whole cassette needs to be changed out, and with less the 7 months of owning it and less than 5,000 miles, i hate to see it go thru major surgery like this...

crazybelgian
02-08-2007, 07:15 AM
15,000 miles and no rattle... I would definately get it fixed if it happened to me though

AzNMpower32
02-08-2007, 09:54 AM
It's clearly a known problem on X3s, and there is a service bulletin out on it (I cant find it anymore). If your dealer claims ignorance, then go somewhere else. I think the first fix is to replace the liner or something, not the whole cassette.

ub6ib9
02-08-2007, 10:27 AM
happened to me and got the cassette replaced... nothin big

brh_minn
02-08-2007, 11:24 AM
Can someone elaborate a little on this topic? I have a 2007 X3 with the Pana sunroof, adn there is a "creaking" sometimes towards the back right of the sunroof, but not very loud, and I wouldnt describe it much as a rattle, more a creak of sorts.

Just wondering if this could be the same thing. It disappears when the roof liner is closed.

MPBX3
02-08-2007, 04:03 PM
Had it fixed on the 04 about 2 months ago. Not sure what they did, but it worked.

MTLX3
02-09-2007, 08:18 AM
I have a 2007 X3 with the Pana sunroof, adn there is a "creaking" sometimes towards the back right of the sunroof, but not very loud, and I wouldnt describe it much as a rattle, more a creak of sorts.

Just wondering if this could be the same thing. It disappears when the roof liner is closed.

As per my BMW salesman, this should not be an issue on 2007 X3's as it was a known issue that was part of the 2007 "improvements".

White05X3
02-10-2007, 01:21 PM
I had a rattle in my pano roof when closing the doors and a creaking towards the back over rough roads. My solution was simple and seems, so far to have worked...

Buy some self-adhesive weatherstrip foam at your local home improvement store. Tilt the roof up. There is a black plastic piece that runs across the car and separates the two roofs. Stick the foam inside there, toward the front. Then, on the back part of the rear glass, in the corners, put another small piece on each side. This seems to have cured mine.

Good luck!

kjboyd
02-10-2007, 01:29 PM
HI WhiteX... actually, i tried that but didn't work. this is on both sides front, and if you press the headliner up, it stops 'creaking'. so im guessing the whole cassette isn't screwed down tight enough.

i have an appt. on next monday, so ill let everyone know what is done. thanks!

White05X3
02-10-2007, 04:25 PM
Please do keep us informed. Sorry my easy solution did not work out for you!! Good luck!

wallyk525
08-03-2007, 03:14 PM
2005 X3. I took it to my dealer and they finally agreed with me and had the whole sunroof replaced with a newer version (2007) including the glass and track system.

Wolfie
08-16-2007, 11:18 AM
I have a 2006 X3 for about a month now 15K miles. I just started to notice the sunroof rattle. It only happens when I'm doing 60 or more MPH. It rattles and goes away and only when the winds it a certain way. I can't tell if it is the big glass or the small one. Is this the IMFAMOUS RATTLE I have been hearing or is it normal?
Thanks

sterfrydude
08-17-2007, 05:13 PM
Ok, I'm not sure if I really have the same problem or what, but my roof doesn't seem to rattle. I just have a lot of wind noise at the front of the sunroof like it isn't sealing well. Can anyone tell me how I might resolve this as i'm out of warranty. :(

Wolfie
08-17-2007, 07:33 PM
Ok, I'm not sure if I really have the same problem or what, but my roof doesn't seem to rattle. I just have a lot of wind noise at the front of the sunroof like it isn't sealing well. Can anyone tell me how I might resolve this as i'm out of warranty. :(

My opinion is if this a known recalled problem BMW should fix these problems for free!
I would take it in and demand they fix it! Can't hurt to try!
Good luck!