PDA

View Full Version : Buying or leasing?


Guest84
01-08-2003, 10:04 AM
Just curious as to numbers that buy or lease. If you paid cash or already paid for it..just pick "Buying".

Alex Baumann
01-08-2003, 10:08 AM
All my cars are leased (without the option to buy) :)

Guest84
01-08-2003, 10:12 AM
My mistake, I've never leased so I just assumed that the "option to buy" was always there. :dunno:

jw
01-08-2003, 04:09 PM
You forgot OC.

GimpyMcFarlan
01-08-2003, 05:18 PM
Leasing with the BMW multiple down payment plan. :thumbup:

Kaz
01-08-2003, 05:25 PM
Obviously I have no clue about the feasibility of something like this, but with all these sort-term leased cars floating around, (many of which I know get processed through CPO programs and get sold used) would there be a business case to re-lease these instead? :dunno:

I was thinking, if I wanted a cheap daily commuter type car, a 3-year-old car I could lease cheap for 3 years might actually sound pretty good.

The HACK
01-08-2003, 05:31 PM
Originally posted by Kaz
Obviously I have no clue about the feasibility of something like this, but with all these sort-term leased cars floating around, (many of which I know get processed through CPO programs and get sold used) would there be a business case to re-lease these instead? :dunno:

I was thinking, if I wanted a cheap daily commuter type car, a 3-year-old car I could lease cheap for 3 years might actually sound pretty good.

Yeah, let the other guy take the brunt of the depreciation for the car. :thumbup:

Emission
01-08-2003, 05:36 PM
We lease any car over $30,000. Depreciation is too great.

Of the past ten cars I have owned, I have bought just one: '86 Porsche. I won't ever lose any money on it.

I think you always have the option to buy at the end of the lease.

Kaz
01-08-2003, 05:38 PM
Originally posted by The HACK
Yeah, let the other guy take the brunt of the depreciation for the car. :thumbup:

Again, this may be a bad idea for the carmakers, but...

Most automakers offer their for-sale CPO cars with extended warranties, usually out to 6/80 or 7/100 or something like that (I think BMW's is 2/50 on top of the original warranty, so 6/100 total), so increased warranty claim costs shouldn't be a factor.

My guess is the residual on a twice-leased car would be so poor that even the re-lease wouldn't cover the cost of doing this business.

Should I patent this idea before someone decides it IS a good idea?

:dunno: :lmao:

AF
01-08-2003, 05:39 PM
Paid in full :thumbup:

Dr. Phil
01-08-2003, 05:40 PM
Originally posted by Alan F
Paid in full :thumbup:
:flipoff: :flipoff:

;)

Mr. The Edge
01-08-2003, 05:42 PM
Originally posted by Alan F
Paid in full :thumbup:

Mystikal
01-08-2003, 06:02 PM
Stolen.

Cadetdrivr
01-08-2003, 06:13 PM
Paid in full.

Goodbye car payment! :D

JST
01-08-2003, 09:21 PM
Bought this one, leased the last one, may not keep this one long enough to pay it off, probably will lease the next one.

I have a short attention span when it comes to cars. Two years is about my limit.

TD
01-08-2003, 09:38 PM
Originally posted by Kaz
Again, this may be a bad idea for the carmakers, but...

Most automakers offer their for-sale CPO cars with extended warranties, usually out to 6/80 or 7/100 or something like that (I think BMW's is 2/50 on top of the original warranty, so 6/100 total), so increased warranty claim costs shouldn't be a factor.

My guess is the residual on a twice-leased car would be so poor that even the re-lease wouldn't cover the cost of doing this business.

Should I patent this idea before someone decides it IS a good idea?

:dunno: :lmao:

Pardon me if I'm mistaken, but doesn't BMWFS allow you to lease their CPO'd cars?

EDIT- Yup. Click on CPO then Financing.

Plaz
01-09-2003, 12:31 AM
Paid in full. Wrote one MFer of a check to Cutter Motors. Makes me sweat again just thinking about it. :lmao:

Randy Forbes
01-09-2003, 06:00 AM
Did it both ways.
Both M Rdstrs bought for cash (99 was CPO w/5400 miles & 01 was PCD w/6 miles).
X5 is leased (two years to go).
Next car (Z4///M) who knows...

Ack
01-09-2003, 08:00 AM
I've only had two new cars and I purchased both of them. The Bimmer is paid off. If it wasn't I wouldn't be going so bonkers with mods. :D