PDA

View Full Version : Climate Control Defaults to Auto

x3ronnie
02-08-2007, 06:58 PM
I usually make it a point to return the climate control to auto before shutting off the engine, but lately I've left it in defrost with the fan on high. I thought I might have forgotten to put it back on auto, but after several times I've found that the climate control returns to the auto setting, no matter where it was last when the engine was turned off. On the one hand I like this, but it seems kind of annoying at times. What if one wanted to leave the defrost on high so that the snow and ice would melt off of the windshield while brushing and scraping? I personally like this returning to auto, but wonder if it's a programmable feature. Anyone care to shed some light on this issue.

r6girl
02-08-2007, 07:40 PM
there's a key memory setting that returns the climate settings to what they were when a specific key was last year (see the form in this thread here (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=43180&highlight=Vehicle+Key+Memory+Worksheet).) are you switching between the 2 keys you have, by any chance?

i have mine set to return to the last climate control settings from when my key was last in the car. works well, no issues. having the defrost on high to allow this to turn on first thing with car in the morning sounds like a good idea, but i'd never remember to turn it on before i turned the car off the night before!

x3ronnie
02-09-2007, 06:28 AM
I am only using one key. I wonder if my settings are stored each time I leave the car, as I don't always lock it at home. I understand that locking the doors using the remote saves the settings and unlocking retrieves them. Still, I believe I locked the car at work, and came back to find the setting had gone from defrost to auto. I will have to check this out some, and then report back. Thanks r6girl.

x3ronnie
02-09-2007, 07:11 PM
Confirmed it's the key memory. When I lock the doors using the remote, the last climate control setting is saved. When I unlock with the remote, the settings are recalled. Guess I could've consulted the manual.