PDA

View Full Version : Did you also notice this on the recent Car and Motor Shows ?

Alex Baumann
01-08-2003, 11:36 AM
I received my copy of Auto,Motor & Sport today. There was a 10-pages Detroit Motor Show news and pictures.

What I have noticed is that there were almost more SUV prototypes than 'normal' cars. :eeps:

Jspeed
01-08-2003, 11:52 AM
I thought, or hoped, that SUV's were on their way out. I suppose you include car-based crossover vehicles too.

Alex Baumann
01-08-2003, 11:53 AM
yes, I have included anything crossed over :D

Mr. The Edge
01-08-2003, 11:55 AM
Originally posted by Alex Baumann
yes, I have included anything crossed over :D

like the Maserati Kubang?

Alex Baumann
01-08-2003, 11:58 AM
Originally posted by atyclb
like the Maserati Kubang?

yep, unlike any past Maseratis :tsk:

JPinTO
01-08-2003, 12:14 PM
Originally posted by Jspeed
I thought, or hoped, that SUV's were on their way out. I suppose you include car-based crossover vehicles too.

I think that's wishful thinking. Until gas hits 1.00/liter, we won't see changes in appetites for large thangs.

·clyde·
01-08-2003, 12:29 PM
Originally posted by JPinTO
I think that's wishful thinking. Until gas hits 1.00/liter, we won't see changes in appetites for large thangs.

I agree. However, as JST (I think) described earlier today (yesterday, day before...very recently), there aren't many large cars available these days, particularly at price points similar to the most popular SUVs. One of the questions is that now that they've had a taste, would they go back to cars if they were available?

Kaz
01-08-2003, 01:23 PM
Actually I think cars are starting to make a comeback, especially in the Concepts area. Not small cars, mind you, but not SUVs either.

It seems the domestic and Japanese have had their fill of concept SUVs and is moving on but the Europeans are just getting into the SUV arena.

Take a look at that Chevy RX8 clone and the Ford 427.

doeboy
01-08-2003, 01:27 PM
There was a little blurb about this topic on the morning news today... I wasn't totally listening as I was getting ready to go to work, but I did hear that they mentioned there is beginning to be a decline/slowdown :dunno: of SUV sales or something and that attribute it to consumers complaints about fuel costs and junk like that....

JPinTO
01-08-2003, 01:56 PM
Originally posted by Clyde@work
One of the questions is that now that they've had a taste, would they go back to cars if they were available?

Nope! My 323i is the only car in 8 vehicles of my immediate family. All pickups, minivans and SUV's. Hopefully soon to be joined by an M3. People love them.

I can't tempt my wife out of her tall truck even with the A4 wagon which she really likes.

car_for_mom
01-09-2003, 02:09 PM
Will SUV's become the cigarettes of the 21st Century through campaigns like the one being run by the Detroit group and the "What Would Jesus Drive"?

I was listening to Pacifica Radio (conservatives, don't get upset; I listen to Amy Goodman and I listen to Rush; I want to hear both viewpoints! :p ) and there was a discussion about toddlers being run over by SUV's because of the very large blind spots.

In fact, over the past several days, there's been a lot of negative press about SUV's, doubtless connected to the 'Buy A SUV, Support A Terrorist' ads from the Detroit people.

Is there a new Ralph Nader ("Unsafe At Any Speed") arising to crusade against the large of the automotive land?

Alex Baumann
01-09-2003, 02:16 PM
On one side there's a negative campaign against the SUVs in the press, on the web, on the other side every car manufacturer is claiming that there's a expanding market for SUVs and introducing one prototype after the other :confused:

aardvark
01-09-2003, 03:15 PM
Mini has a billboard in San Francisco that reads: "The SUV backlash officially starts now."

And, yeah, there does seem to be a growing resentment toward them, but at the same time, they seem more popular than ever. I know several "car" people who have switched over to the behemoths in just the last few months. :thumbdwn:

Artslinger
01-09-2003, 03:41 PM
Out of my way I'm late for work.

rwg
01-09-2003, 04:20 PM
Originally posted by car_for_mom
Is there a new Ralph Nader ("Unsafe At Any Speed") arising to crusade against the large of the automotive land?

There is in fact a recently published book that goes after SUV's as a class. Something about SUV owners being insecure macho types that like to run over people or something. And then he blames detroit. High and Mighty: SUVs, the World's Most Dangerous Vehicles and How They Got That Way.