PDA

View Full Version : Adios...

Techson
02-09-2007, 04:54 PM
X3 people. I'm off to a new and different automobile (one more accessible to my pups). This is an amazing board with more useful information than I could ever have imagined. Enjoy your X3's, I will miss mine... but my new car is awesome.

MTLX3
02-09-2007, 05:31 PM
What's your new car?

Techson
02-09-2007, 05:36 PM
great deal on a new 06' A3 3.2 Quattro. It's really a TT with more space (and low enough for my pups).

MTLX3
02-09-2007, 05:42 PM
Cool car!!! :thumbup:

Only problem with it is Audi is asking too much $$$ for it. But you say you got a good deal, so I'm sure you're happy with the deal you got. Enjoy!

chuck92103
02-09-2007, 05:44 PM
Cool car!!! :thumbup:

Only problem with it is Audi is asking too much $$$ for it. But you say you got a good deal, so I'm sure you're happy with the deal you got. Enjoy!

And BMW's are a bargain? :rolleyes:

MTLX3
02-09-2007, 05:52 PM
Never said BMW's are bargains buddy... but here in Canada a well equipped A3 3.2 is as expensive as a well equipped E90. Think that's normal???

chuck92103
02-09-2007, 05:54 PM
Never said BMW's are bargains buddy... but here in Canada a well equipped A3 3.2 is as expensive as a well equipped E90. Think that's normal???

They are about the same car really in terms of features, quality, perforamance etc. Pricing for them in the U.S starts in the low 30's, fully loaded is about $40k.

Last I checked, a 3 series was nearly $50k loaded.

Techson
02-09-2007, 05:55 PM
with MTL, the Audi's are a little overpriced. I would never fork over 40+ for a loaded A3... but the deal I got was too good to pass up. The DSG is just sick and with 250 horses it runs like crazy. I'm going to miss the X3, but looking forward to a sportier ride for a while.

MTLX3
02-09-2007, 05:56 PM
They are NOT the same car. An A4 is comparable to an E90, not an A3. And I don't know anything about US price, but I stand by the numbers I just posted. Don't forget that Techson is talking about the 3.2 (not the 2.0T).

The 3.2 starts at 45 690$ in Canada (+14% in taxes and no options added yet), so you get to 50 000$ in no time... for a small car!

BTW, I agree with you Techson, it's an amazing car... but not worth 50K's (CAN) for me. I would however get one if I got a good deal on a used one with a couple of years of use...

Techson
02-12-2007, 07:57 PM
Been driving the A3 3.2 DSG for 3 days now... it really is an amazing car. Can't wait to get the break in period over with.

MTLX3
02-12-2007, 09:47 PM
Enjoy it man! Can you post some pics in this thread (exterior and interior). I'd love to see it.

Play safe;)

pilotman
02-13-2007, 05:40 AM
Did you lease or buy?

The lease rates offered by Audi on that VW Golf (cough, I mean A3) are horrible.

Yes BMWs have higher MSRPs, but if you get a good deal on ED you can crush the price on a comparable Audi. (I did).

Techson
02-13-2007, 07:20 AM
I bought it. It is an 06 A3 3.2... a left over and I got a fantastic price on it. Also got the full maintenance for free since it is an 06. Love the size of it (being a city dweller)... I wasn't that impressed with the 328ix. Drove 2 of them, a couple of A4's, a 250 IS awd (barco-lounger on wheels), and decided the A3 was the best deal for me. The best part is that my Basset's can jump right into the floorboard and onto the seat with no help from me.

MTL,
As soon as the weather lets up a bit, I will take some pics and post them. Getting to try it out in snow today... yipppeeeee.

sfca-325i
02-13-2007, 11:21 AM
Congrats on the A3. We have a B7 A4 and it is a very nice car. Roomier than our e46 325i (which we traded in for the X3). Also like the A3 but my daughter, who drives the Audi, preferred the sedan to the avant.

NateXTR
02-13-2007, 12:43 PM
When I was looking last summer, I really wanted an A3, but there were NO deals to be had, in the end, I love my 325xiT, but when I see an A3 3.2, I still stare... Congrats, enjoy the car, we'll see you in a few years maybe?

Techson
02-13-2007, 02:14 PM
When I was looking last summer, I really wanted an A3, but there were NO deals to be had, in the end, I love my 325xiT, but when I see an A3 3.2, I still stare... Congrats, enjoy the car, we'll see you in a few years maybe?

Nate,
I totally cracked up at your comment... I was thinking today (while enjoying the A3) that in all probability, I'd end up with another Bimmer at some point. Still love the X3 (and BMW's in general). It's fun to do something different, but I will always consider myself indoctrinated into the BMW "thing"... the X3 was my 3rd, and they are awesome auto's.

If there hadn't been a deal on the A3, it wouldn't have happened. I love it, but only at the right price. What's funny is that my payment on the A3 is about the same as my lease payment on the X3.

Techson
02-24-2007, 04:29 PM
Per your requests, pics of the A3.

A few comments on differences (where comparisons can be made since the auto's are so different). Brakes are good on the A3, more play in the pedal, but not as good as BMW's. Thought I would really miss the driving position of the X3, but I don't. Didn't even notice it. The interior A3 is amazing. 10 out of 10. Would only give the X3 an 8 or 9. Also love the sport seats in the A3 and the Bose is sweet. The A3 is surprisingly fast, even dusted a 330i. I'm enjoying it and only missing the X3 a little bit. Talk to you guys soon.

02-25-2007, 05:53 AM
Per your requests, pics of the A3.

A few comments on differences (where comparisons can be made since the auto's are so different). Brakes are good on the A3, more play in the pedal, but not as good as BMW's. Thought I would really miss the driving position of the X3, but I don't. Didn't even notice it. The interior A3 is amazing. 10 out of 10. Would only give the X3 an 8 or 9. Also love the sport seats in the A3 and the Bose is sweet. The A3 is surprisingly fast, even dusted a 330i. I'm enjoying it and only missing the X3 a little bit. Talk to you guys soon.

Just because the driver of the 330i was sane enough to not race with you on public roads doesn't mean their car is slower than yours. If thats the case, then let me see: I have so far dusted a Bently Continental, Quadroporte, F430, F360, NSX, M3, all in my stock 4 cylinder Honda.
:rofl: :rofl:

claud 3
02-25-2007, 10:04 AM
I test drove an E90 SP 330i auto before buying my 06 A3 3.2Q. Both were agile, with the BMW a touch better. Power was not as good in the BMW. It did not feel like it had anywhere near the torque of the A3 3.2. The A3 is roomier than an A4. The A3 is made in an Audi factory, not VW. Gas milage is not as good as even a 335i at 25ish mpg at 70mph cruise. I do like mine, and have tracked it twice at two VIR HPDEs. I am waiting for an 08 or 09 335i or an X3 for the wife.We are both old BMW drivers(not since 1987) and will return to the fold soon.

d-rive
02-25-2007, 11:37 AM
@Techson, i like your cd-casette head unit ;) otherwise the Audi A3 is a very good car :)

vexed
02-25-2007, 12:21 PM
Questions for the A3 folks-is the rear seat habitable and how does it fold for cargo:eeps:

AzNMpower32
02-25-2007, 12:39 PM
For those of you commenting on how expensive the A3 is, the 1-series is the same way. And that is the mentality BMW fears will occur if the 1-series is brought to America, because it doesn't cost much less to make than the E90. Thus, BMW is afraid bringing the 1er to NA will cause the same A3 price-backlash seen here.

Anyway, congrats on the A3! Don't see many here, but I think it's a great car, especially with the 3.2 engine :)

Techson
02-25-2007, 01:55 PM
Questions for the A3 folks-is the rear seat habitable and how does it fold for cargo:eeps:

The cargo area with the rear seat down is pretty nice... plenty for me. The rear seat situation is about the same as with the X3, not bad, but I wouldn't want to be back there for a long time.

So far, the gas mileage sucks about like the X3... luckily I wasn't expecting any differently.

The cassette really does look weird... that is so 80's.

Techson
02-25-2007, 01:56 PM
For those of you commenting on how expensive the A3 is, the 1-series is the same way. And that is the mentality BMW fears will occur if the 1-series is brought to America, because it doesn't cost much less to make than the E90. Thus, BMW is afraid bringing the 1er to NA will cause the same A3 price-backlash seen here.

Anyway, congrats on the A3! Don't see many here, but I think it's a great car, especially with the 3.2 engine :)

Luckily, I was able to get into the A3 3.2 for around 32K... I was happy with that, but wouldn't have wanted to go any higher. You are right AzNM, not many of the 3.2's around, especially in red:)

vexed
02-25-2007, 02:07 PM
The cargo area with the rear seat down is pretty nice... plenty for me. The rear seat situation is about the same as with the X3, not bad, but I wouldn't want to be back there for a long time.

So far, the gas mileage sucks about like the X3... luckily I wasn't expecting any differently.

The cassette really does look weird... that is so 80's.

Thanks, we may look at a used 2006 2.0 6 speed/premium pack/bose. It's black not what I would have picked but....

Techson
02-25-2007, 02:18 PM
Thanks, we may look at a used 2006 2.0 6 speed/premium pack/bose. It's black not what I would have picked but....

I hear you vexed. Mine was a left-over 06... it is the only one they had which is why the price was so good... red is not the color I would have chosen, but it is growing on me. I would much rather get a good deal and no choice of color... good luck.

AzNMpower32
02-25-2007, 02:30 PM
Keep us up to date on the reliability. VW/Audi doesn't have a great history of reliable cars, but it seems to be getting slightly better. Plus, Audi has been making better looking cars than BMW lately (IMO). The A4 looks substantially better, more flowing than the E90.

vexed
02-25-2007, 02:58 PM
I hear you vexed. Mine was a left-over 06... it is the only one they had which is why the price was so good... red is not the color I would have chosen, but it is growing on me. I would much rather get a good deal and no choice of color... good luck.

I like the red:eek: Black is nice when it is clean but.... It's black on black with tint.

claud 3
02-25-2007, 03:09 PM
My A3 was new last March. It has 15,000 + miles on it. It has been to the dealer three times, twice for regular free service. Once for warranty repair of the sunshade clip on my Open Sky that keeps it closed. It melted in our 90+ degree NC summer heat. Dealer provided loaner cars (Audis) each time. So far this is much better service and quality than my last BMW, a new 1984 318i. It was in the shop for multiple engine issues. BMWs are much better now. They are now almost as good as my wife's 05 RX330. We miss the BMW driving experience.

Techson
02-25-2007, 03:09 PM
I like the red:eek: Black is nice when it is clean but.... It's black on black with tint.

Me likey... the black is beautiful, but it is hard to keep clean. Mine is covered in snow right now.

Aznm... Audi reliability can't be any worse than BMW. Hopefully mine will be trouble free.

AzNMpower32
02-25-2007, 04:35 PM
Aznm... Audi reliability can't be any worse than BMW. Hopefully mine will be trouble free.
Really? :wow: There goes my #1 reason (and really the only big reason) against Audi. Looks like an A4 is in the future for my parents.........

VW has a known history of weak reliability......friends and family with VW have had their share of issues. If this doesn't translate into the Audi brand, then all of a sudden Audi is a good contender in my book.

Parker21
02-25-2007, 07:46 PM
Congrats on the A3; the best thing aboout that car are the sweet sounds the 3.2 produces; they have the engine/exhaust perfectly matched. We own a 2004 allroad with 34k and a 2007 Q7 with 2k, both cars have been flawless and have never gone back for non-scheduled maintenance. I recently sold a 2003 A4 (being replaced by X3) with 62k and that car had only two issues, coil pack and fuel pump (now a recall item).