PDA

View Full Version : premature tire wear?

low
01-09-2003, 01:20 AM
so im due for new tires...ive noticed that my rear tires have more wear on them than the fronts, (obviously). but i did notice that my right rear tire shows more wear than the left rear. i mean, its got the metal showing already on the inside of the tire and the left tire still looks intact, just low treads. im thinking of getting a wheel alignment but would you guys suggest i take it in to have it inspected at the dealer for a bent axle or something?? or am i just being paranoid and get the alignment and hope for the better??

oh and the car isnt lowered or anything like that?:D

Chris330Ci
01-09-2003, 06:22 AM
Skip the alignment and begin regularly checking your tire pressure if you don't do it already...

325xi-SteelGray
01-09-2003, 10:04 AM
I just had my car in the shop for brakes and they noticed the "wear bars" were showing, front and rear, but only on the right side. I asked if the alignment was ok and they said it was fine! Maybe it is from driving on too many exit ramps - which tend to vear to the right?! :) Super uneducated guess, but hey, you never know!

steve dunham
01-09-2003, 01:20 PM
I recently had a similar problem on my wife's 325XiT. Outer edges of ALL tires were worn off badly... I decided to have the dealer align the car and then replace the tires... The alignment printout showed all 4 wheels were out of alignment spec... The alignmenr ( 4 wheel) was $70.01 and since then ( 1200 miles) the new tires are wearing fine...

·clyde·
01-09-2003, 01:28 PM
Originally posted by steve dunham
I recently had a similar problem on my wife's 325XiT. Outer edges of ALL tires were worn off badly... I decided to have the dealer align the car and then replace the tires... The alignment printout showed all 4 wheels were out of alignment spec... The alignmenr ( 4 wheel) was $70.01 and since then ( 1200 miles) the new tires are wearing fine...

Hmmm...

My right front a few months ago:
http://www.nrubenstein.com/images/autox5/mini-NSR_2002_1012_123700AA.jpg

rwebbe
01-10-2003, 08:11 PM
On most rear wheel drive cars the right wheel does most of the work pushing the car, hence it shows wear first. If I am wrong, I am sure one of you will straighten my thinking out.

Kaz
01-10-2003, 08:18 PM
Not wearing evenly across the tread can be from incorrect inflation, bad alignment, or just natural. My rear Pirellis wore in the middle as if though they were overinflated (and the inside edge), but I read someplace that it's normal for E36/E46.

One side of the car wearing differently than the other, though, is less normal. I've never had that problem on any of my cars.

rwebbe
01-11-2003, 11:32 AM
You know Kaz, when I took delivery of my wondeful coupe I asked one of the race drivers which end would break loose first on a high speed sweeper. He said the "Bimmer" would plow. If this is true, no wonder they recommend less air in front than in rear. Will not the tire with the least inflation grip better? I have a sweeper near me which we call Gruman corner. I have taken it at 60 with out losing it. My engineering friend says his 323 wagon does it at 65. Yet we read a post where one of our astute members have lost it and broadsided a wall or some other sort of obstruction. I don't trust the Contis as much as a Michelin. It would all but kill me to mess up my nice 330ci playing with it. In retrospect when on the skid pad at Tech Center this same guy lost it in his M5 and did the classic spin out we all have done on the race track. Oh well, that's life. Thanks anyhow.