PDA

View Full Version : 2 Year Update

tonymey
02-14-2007, 02:07 AM
On the 17 of Feb our X3 turns 2 years old and the warrenty is over. :tsk: Yes, it is , I work for the US Army here in Germany and all US spec BMW only get the regular 2 year warrenty that the Germans offer their customers, and that does not include any paid services or anything.
Anyway the X3 is currently in the shop to fix this funny noise coming from the windshield, this is the second time it's been in for this. Otherwise that has been pretty much it for service. It has 23k Miles, and this is my accessment:
1. The tires suck (Bridgestones T) had to change them with just 20k miles, and they where loud as hell. The winter tires I have on them now are 100% better.
2. How could BMW make such a loud sunroof, it may be nice and large but unless you are driving under 35 mph forget about opening it. I have a 740i that I could drive over 100 mph with sunroof open and still have a conversation. I know this is like comparing apples and oranges but the point is BMW could have done better.
3. Now that I've changed the Tires I've notice a big improvement in general road noise but still not to the level of BMW
4. Gas miliage Sucks, even though I've had this X3 over 100 MPH
5. Power is mediocore in this heavy SAV and I have the 3.0.
6. I did not expect a smooth ride but this SAV is a bit too jumpy for my taste (hard suspension).
7. The passeger seat should fold forward flat so you could load long items.

What's good about this BMW X3??
It's a BMW !!!!!!
Would I buy one again?
No way, I'll save my money and buy the X5.
Would you recommend the X3?
No way, if you want a real compact SAV/SUV there are plenty out there way better, faster, larger and less expensive that this one.
If you want a real BMW to ride around in then go with the 3 series BMW.

Now comes the big question ?,, Why don't I sell it and get me something else? Well because this X3 is my wifes car and she is in love with it. I get to drive only on weekends which is more than I like. I currently drive a BMW 740i which is probably the reason I feel so out of place in the X3.

Bottom line, I've been driving BMW since the 70s, my first was a 1969 BMW 2000, I've own many 3s, 5's and this is my second 7 series. The X3 is by far the lease likeable but it is practical.

Now please don't beat me up because of my write up,, I don't need people telling how wrong I am and how great they are. THIS IS MY OPINION.

MJS
02-14-2007, 03:46 AM
Atleast it sounds like your wife likes it. Maybe she should write up some thoughts.

I haven't had my X3 long enough to come to any conclusions yet. It's only been 5 days since I picked it up. So far I really like it.

disden
02-14-2007, 04:31 AM
interesting write up. We leased my wife a new X3 2 months ago because she is pregnant and wanted an SUV. She is tiny, about 5'2", so she wanted a smaller SUV that she felt more comfortable in. We chose the X3 because she liked the way it drove on the test drive compared to other vehicles, in particular my wife liked that she didn't feel like she was driving a truck.

After 2 months her reviews are mixed. After about 3 weeks she hated it. Little things were really annoying her. For example: she hated how hard it is to get in and out of the X3. If you notice, there is a little black flare/body work under the door. being tall i never noticed it, but you really do have to stretch out over it to enter/leave the vehicle. for smaller people it is quite an inconveniance. next, she hated that she could not place her purse on the passenger seat because it would set off the seatbelt alarm. next was the rough ride, we got upgraded 18's because they look so cool, but ride quality does suffer. next was that the heated seats really suck, very little warmth; magnified by the fact that my 335's are like toasters.

All this aside, after another month some of these complaints have begun to disappear. she has her choice of a 2006 Accord or the X3 to drive everyday, and more and more she chooses her X3. it as grown on her, but she is not overwhelmed. personally I really like it, it's fun to drive and yet versatile.

Anyways, sorry to hijack your post, just thought I would add my thoughts as well.

crazybelgian
02-14-2007, 06:10 AM
I love mine, and so does my wife. Of course our other car is a Honda Civic, so big difference. Don't buy a BMW if you don't like stiff suspension though.

OCNYBMW
02-14-2007, 06:30 AM
On the 17 of Feb our X3 turns 2 years old and the warrenty is over. :tsk: Yes, it is , I work for the US Army here in Germany and all US spec BMW only get the regular 2 year warrenty that the Germans offer their customers, and that does not include any paid services or anything.
Anyway the X3 is currently in the shop to fix this funny noise coming from the windshield, this is the second time it's been in for this. Otherwise that has been pretty much it for service. It has 23k Miles, and this is my accessment:
1. The tires suck (Bridgestones T) had to change them with just 20k miles, and they where loud as hell. The winter tires I have on them now are 100% better.
2. How could BMW make such a loud sunroof, it may be nice and large but unless you are driving under 35 mph forget about opening it. I have a 740i that I could drive over 100 mph with sunroof open and still have a conversation. I know this is like comparing apples and oranges but the point is BMW could have done better.
3. Now that I've changed the Tires I've notice a big improvement in general road noise but still not to the level of BMW
6. I did not expect a smooth ride but this SAV is a bit too jumpy for my taste (hard suspension).

What's good about this BMW X3??
It's a BMW !!!!!!
Would I buy one again?
No way, I'll save my money and buy the X5.
Would you recommend the X3?
No way, if you want a real compact SAV/SUV there are plenty out there way better, faster, larger and less expensive that this one.
If you want a real BMW to ride around in then go with the 3 series BMW.

Now comes the big question ?,, Why don't I sell it and get me something else? Well because this X3 is my wifes car and she is in love with it. I get to drive only on weekends which is more than I like. I currently drive a BMW 740i which is probably the reason I feel so out of place in the X3.

Bottom line, I've been driving BMW since the 70s, my first was a 1969 BMW 2000, I've own many 3s, 5's and this is my second 7 series. The X3 is by far the lease likeable but it is practical.

Now please don't beat me up because of my write up,, I don't need people telling how wrong I am and how great they are. THIS IS MY OPINION.

Very interesting post. Mine just turned 2 years as well, and I have 1 year left on the lease. I agree with alot of your points; but what would you get that is similar to the X3? The new X5 is great but it does cost a great deal more. The older X5 has some reliability issues, so for some annoyances, I would rather have a trouble free vehicle. In almost 35,000 miles, I have had no issues. It is actually one of the most problem free vehicles that I have ever had. Much better than Nissans, and American SUVs.

cbj
02-14-2007, 06:51 AM
Wouldn't a large sun roof like in the X3 always make noise at least that was my expectation when I saw the car.

Coming from Europe one thing all reviews of US cars mentioned was the softer rides compared to cars made in Europe. I have never had any US cars but I wonder if there is a difference in perception of what is soft/no soft?

Anyway the X3 is not for everybody and good to see somebody with a long time in the car giving his perspective. For me it can't go wrong coming from a 99 Honda CRV it can only get better :)

tonymey
02-14-2007, 08:06 AM
Sunroof: Those with sunroof know what I'm talking about, it does not matter about the size (that's what they all say). You ever try going down the highway at around 60 mph with the sunroof in the half way position and can not hold a conversation, and have you tried holding down the deflector with the stupid window screen and find out how quiet things get all of sudden? I don't care what people say the sunroof design is messed up and BMW has done nothing to fix it.

As far as the suspension being hard, to some extend I understand the the intent here, BMWs are suppose to handle better than most cars but the balance is not there for some reason.

There are plenty of SAV/SUV out there that are compatible to the X3,, some that come to mind are : the new CRV, the Rav 4 that has more powerful v6 and better MPG and many more equally expensive models. BUT I understand that none will give you the prestige of owning a BMW.

For those that have not driven and X5 please do, the older model drove 10 times better that my x3 , I could only imagine how well the new model will drive. Yes, more expensive but you get what you paid for.

I don't intent on changing anyones mind on the purchase of a new X3, overall its a great SAV with outstanding brakes, great traction, nice stereo, OK interior room and a very safe car that I feel my wife is driving , plus as I mention she love the hell out of this car and will not give it up for anything.

If you really need the extra space and ground clearance of the X3 go for it. But you may also consider the BMW 3 station wagon with all wheel drive. Here you have the best of all worlds. These are nice driving machines and the real feel of a BMW, and station wagons are coming back, just put some nice rims on them and you will be styling. :thumbup:

cbj
02-14-2007, 08:23 AM
Agree I neede the ground clearance and larger trunk space/height to fit in my bikes or the 3 wagon would have been a very interesting choice.

SilverX3
02-14-2007, 01:26 PM
Totally AGREE

3 and 5 are probably TRUE BMW

the rest of the fleet are not pure breed.... make for market demand rather than True Drivers Cras

07X3platinum
02-14-2007, 06:40 PM
I'm surprised your wife complained about the heated seats. I have an 07 X3 and the heated seats work really well....almost too well. I use them on the lowest setting and I have to turn it off after about 5 minutes because my a-- gets too hot.

The X3 is just a comfortable car to drive. The ride is a little firm even with the standard suspension and tires, but you know going in that it's not going to be as smooth as a Lexus. Are there other SUVs out there where you can get more for your money? Sure. But I wanted another BMW and I was hesitant about getting a 3 or 5 series after reading about all the electronic glitches, software problems, and the dreaded run-flat tires.

After having my previous BMW for the past 7 years and after being amazed at the number of times the handling, braking, and balance of the car literally saved me from getting into numerous accidents I made a promise to myself that I would stick with BMW (as long as I am financially able to).

Ishniknork
02-14-2007, 08:11 PM
Really sorry you don't like the X3. In the end I think it all comes down to what you buy it for and why. Personally I wouldn't want a 7 series, just not my style. Just like the X3 isn't yours.

It's all good.... :thumbup:

dbtheo
02-15-2007, 10:03 AM
I think you should try driving the 2007 verison first, major imo, major improvements over earlier versions

dug01
02-15-2007, 01:13 PM
[QUOTE=tonymey;1. The tires suck (Bridgestones T) had to change them with just 20k miles, and they where loud as hell. The winter tires I have on them now are 100% better.

.[/QUOTE]
Didn't you even drive and look over this vehicle before you bought it?? The power and ride did not change after you bought it did it? I came from an Audi Allroad and find the X3 ride comparable --the power is very good and I am getting 17-26 MPG--but I don't go 100mph --Just trade it in-If your wife will let you-:dunno:

tonymey
02-15-2007, 09:48 PM
Didn't you even drive and look over this vehicle before you bought it?? The power and ride did not change after you bought it did it? I came from an Audi Allroad and find the X3 ride comparable --the power is very good and I am getting 17-26 MPG--but I don't go 100mph --Just trade it in-If your wife will let you-:dunno:

Funny you mention that because I notice the hard ride during the test drive but not much else. The longer I drive it I keep saying to myself that I will get use to it or you try to convince yourself that is not that bad. Sorry guys , this car is fully paid for, and for what ever reason the wife loves it (go figure she is German) , so I'm stuck with it, although I did mention the possibility of trading it in for an X5 and that brought a smile to her, ( in my mind I was thinking a new Corvette). I on the other hand I perfer the more balance ride of a 7 or 5. There is a saying or maybe I made this up,," once you drive a 7 you are spoiled for life".
PS The X3 came out the shop Yesterday for it's last day of warrenty work, and they replace the windshield. Seems to be a problem with these windshield cause this is the second time I had this service, the first time they moved the windshield up about a 1/4 inch because it start to develop a noise in the cabin (as soon as I mention this to the dealer he new excatly what it was ,he said it's been a problems on this years car. That noise came back and this time they replace the windshield , striping , glue and the works. Otherwise this car has been trouble free. BUT I knew that about BMWs, They are great cars, to me they just could have done better on this one. :rofl: