PDA

View Full Version : Active Steering

InnerGeek
02-14-2007, 04:14 PM
I am currently planning on upgrading my '04 545i to an '07 550i. I see that Active Steering is now an option (may have been when I got mine too) and was wondering if it is really worth it? I have been using Active Steering in my current BMW and I am not sure if i would even notice it if it was gone. But then again I could be wrong.

Thoughts?

ademitt
02-14-2007, 05:39 PM
You will notice the difference but it is not a big adjustment. Where I noticed the difference was in parrallel parking and driving in tight corners like through a parking lot. Adjustment will take a day or two.

merklebob
02-15-2007, 07:51 AM
i agree real easy to get use to. i notice a real difference between my wifes 330 and my 650. the 330 is like driving a mack steering wheel.

itzeug
02-15-2007, 07:55 AM
go for the active steering cant go wrong

bargamon
02-15-2007, 09:34 AM
Keep it, life as you know it will never be the same! All those turns of the wheel will wear you out!

with so much traffic and urban sprawl BMW has become the "Ultimate parking lot machine"! At high speeds active steering is really not an issue but the handleing in parking lots and drive thrus are very satifying!

M550
02-15-2007, 10:40 AM
You will notice the difference but it is not a big adjustment. Where I noticed the difference was in parrallel parking and driving in tight corners like through a parking lot. Adjustment will take a day or two.

IAW, no big deal. I will skip it. Never used it (except in test drive) and won't miss it. One less item to worry about going wrong on me.

ghw
02-15-2007, 10:55 AM
I sure like it. :thumbup:

X550-ED
02-16-2007, 09:36 AM
I love it. Getting in and out of parking spaces and making turns are a breeze.

EddyLBMW
02-16-2007, 09:49 AM
Do you like your active steering now?
most people who came to the dealership I work at don't care for it.
some BMW enthusists don't like because it doesn't feel like how BMW suppose to feel.
drive one without and it will help you on your decision.

chuck92103
02-16-2007, 09:56 AM
Do you like your active steering now?
most people who came to the dealership I work at don't care for it.
some BMW enthusists don't like because it doesn't feel like how BMW suppose to feel.
drive one without and it will help you on your decision.

A/S came with the sport pack on the 05 645. Now it is an individual option.

Do I still like it? Yes. Here is why. At high speed, say 30-70MPH, the steering acts like a car without A/S. At low speeds, where steering/road feel is not that important is where I notice the difference.

If you thin about it, your brakes vary with speed, as does the active suspension, DSC/DTC, transmissions, etc. Does it not make sense for the steering to adjust to be optimum depending on speed? :dunno:

I can see where some folks would not like it, but the other 90% of the car is variable.

S54 M Rodie
02-16-2007, 06:19 PM
Drove the active, felt it was too light and not worth the money. As for tight parking space, I park at the end of the lot and walk. wud rather have sore arms than door dings.

Either way, you can't go wrong, but in my mind, forego the active steering and get the dinan 3.45 gearing...much better bang for the buck.

good luck

al