PDA

View Full Version : Ride is rough - HELP!

chuck92103
02-14-2007, 08:39 PM
My friend has owned his X3 for about a year now. His X5 lease was up.

He regrets not getting another X5 because it road so smooth.

I told him the X5 did not have the sport package and his X3 does.

Question. Has anyone asked the dealer or a shop to put the stock suspension back in? I believe if he removes the stiff springs that should do the trick. I don't think a tire/wheel package change would make that much difference.

I ahve had an X3 loaner without the sport package and rooad so much better than his. He does not care if he gives up some handling as the X3 is used as a wagon.

Thoughts?

Ishniknork
02-14-2007, 09:34 PM
Has he checked the tire pressure? 32-35 psi helps a bit.

The X3 with SP is going to be taught. Personally I like it though it can be a little uncomfortable at times.

Other than that he'd have to pay to get the suspension changed. Don't know for sure but I think it's mostly the shocks/struts. I believe the springs are the same.

UncleJ
02-14-2007, 10:37 PM
I had the same rude awakening in my '06 non sport 18" option X3 going over rough pavement. I honestly don't think going to all that expensive suspension work will give that much better a ride. The beast is just taut sprung and does give superb handling. I have just learned to live with it and look at the positives and try to drive on smooth roads whenever I have the choice! I have to add that with 12K on the clock now I have made some long drives that were very enjoyable and comfortable, so it is easing up a bit or I am just getting used to it.

dug01
02-15-2007, 08:46 AM
I had the same rude awakening in my '06 non sport 18" option X3 going over rough pavement. I honestly don't think going to all that expensive suspension work will give that much better a ride. The beast is just taut sprung and does give superb handling. I have just learned to live with it and look at the positives and try to drive on smooth roads whenever I have the choice! I have to add that with 12K on the clock now I have made some long drives that were very enjoyable and comfortable, so it is easing up a bit or I am just getting used to it.

Wow--I guess the '07 has a improved ride--Mine is non sport with 18" and it rides great--somewhat bouncy on certain pavement--certainly not like a crown-victoria but comfortable.

UncleJ
02-15-2007, 09:26 AM
I drove both the non sport and sport '07's, albeit briefly, and found little difference in the non sport ride than my '06. The sport option as expected I found worse than mine over rough, uneven pavement. I had hoped BMW had improved the ride but my tailbone couldn't tell the difference if they had. The '07 actually bounced worse than my '06 over a particular section of nasty pavement, but I put that down to the newness and stiffness of the suspension. Just my .02 worth.

dbtheo
02-15-2007, 10:56 AM
personally I think the 07' rides much better than the any previous version X3, especially 04' verisons which I found to be awful. I am currently driving an 06' sport, but I work at a BMW center, so I drive the 07's daily. Too me, there is a very noticable difference. I plan on "upgrading" to the 07' before next winter. The nicer interior & added power are simply bonus'

Bobert
02-15-2007, 05:33 PM
My friend has owned his X3 for about a year now. His X5 lease was up.

He regrets not getting another X5 because it road so smooth.

I told him the X5 did not have the sport package and his X3 does.

Question. Has anyone asked the dealer or a shop to put the stock suspension back in? I believe if he removes the stiff springs that should do the trick. I don't think a tire/wheel package change would make that much difference.

I ahve had an X3 loaner without the sport package and rooad so much better than his. He does not care if he gives up some handling as the X3 is used as a wagon.

Thoughts?

I think changing the suspension wouldn't be worth it. If he's running 18" rims, I suggest picking up a set of new or used 17" wheels and run a passenger tire such as Goodyear Triple Tred 235/55/17. It has the correct load rating of 99 and also correct H speed rating. Goodyear has some pretty mediocre tires overall, but the Triple Tred is one of their better tires and has excellent ratings. A passenger tire is going to give a better ride than a performance tire, at the expense of some handling. Here is a link:

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Goodyear&tireModel=Assurance+TripleTred&vehicleSearch=false&partnum=355HR7ATT&fromCompare1=yes&place=5

NateXTR
02-15-2007, 05:46 PM
Wow--I guess the '07 has a improved ride--Mine is non sport with 18" and it rides great--somewhat bouncy on certain pavement--certainly not like a crown-victoria but comfortable.

+1, I thought that the X3 would be harsh with the sport package, I think that it is smoother than my 3er with the RFTs!! I second the idea of 17" with a higher aspect ratio tire. Good Luck!

chuck92103
02-15-2007, 06:32 PM
So if I hear you folks correctly.

1. Check/lower air pressure a bit
2. Leave suspension alone.
3. Smaller wheels and softer tires.

OCNYBMW
02-15-2007, 06:58 PM
I think the pressure is 35 in the front and 38 in the back, at least for my 05 with the non sport, and 17s. I found that 38 is too much and definately make it right rough. Try 32 all around.

skitime
02-15-2007, 08:06 PM
Does he have the 19s on?

Ishniknork
02-15-2007, 10:10 PM
I think the pressure is 35 in the front and 38 in the back, at least for my 05 with the non sport, and 17s. I found that 38 is too much and definately make it right rough. Try 32 all around.

OK, I just checked the manual. For 17's or 18's it says 32 front, 35 back for a load of 1-4 people. I've been running 32 on all 4 since I'm usually the only one in it. Really made a difference from the 41 psi it came from the dealer with. BTW, I have staggered 18's on.

iversonm
02-16-2007, 07:52 AM
So if I hear you folks correctly.

1. Check/lower air pressure a bit
2. Leave suspension alone.
3. Smaller wheels and softer tires.

+1 for the tire/wheel change. My 330 had a much softer feel with the snows on it, which is welcome on potholed and frost-heaved roads in the winter.

firstbmwX3
02-22-2007, 09:54 AM
Thanks for the above recommendation. I have a 2007 with 18in, non sport. The ride is a bit on the rough side so I checked the PSI. Rear was set at 38.5 and the front at 34.5. I dropped everything to 33.5 and now it is so much better! Wow! Everything else is great. No problems to date with 4000 miles. Handles great in the snow. I haven't noticed any change in handling with the lower PSI.

Ishniknork
02-22-2007, 06:11 PM
Thanks for the above recommendation. I have a 2007 with 18in, non sport. The ride is a bit on the rough side so I checked the PSI. Rear was set at 38.5 and the front at 34.5. I dropped everything to 33.5 and now it is so much better! Wow! Everything else is great. No problems to date with 4000 miles. Handles great in the snow. I haven't noticed any change in handling with the lower PSI.
:thumbup: Funny what a few lbs. less pressure will do, eh? ;)