PDA

View Full Version : Comfort Seats Option

DCC
01-10-2003, 08:26 AM
Does this option just change the front seats or do all 4 seats get a upgrade?

Jon Shafer
01-10-2003, 08:39 AM
Just the front seats Daniel...

Confort seats are THE BEST if you have a tendency
toward soreness in your back when going for a long drive.

The seatbacks themselves are articulating.

Check out a 7-Series to see them; very rare option
on a 5-Series.

DCC
01-10-2003, 10:15 AM
Thanks Jon
But why are they 'rare' options?
Price?

jrubens
01-10-2003, 10:22 AM
Jon, what's the most comfortable seat for a 3, in your opinion?

johnlew
01-10-2003, 10:31 AM
I can't say enough about the comfort seat in the 5er. Better than the sport seat in my 330cic.

jrubens
01-10-2003, 10:41 AM
I don't know if they're comfort seats or not, but the seats in my step-dad's 7 are the most comfortable seats I've ever driven in, except maybe for a 70/80's Jag Vanden Plas.

The top of the 7 seats bend forward and back to curve to your back, so you're sitting in a seat which fits like a glove.

johnlew
01-10-2003, 11:04 AM
Originally posted by jrubens
I don't know if they're comfort seats or not, but the seats in my step-dad's 7 are the most comfortable seats I've ever driven in, except maybe for a 70/80's Jag Vanden Plas.

The top of the 7 seats bend forward and back to curve to your back, so you're sitting in a seat which fits like a glove.

That's it!

DCC
01-10-2003, 12:26 PM
So they are worth the $1200 option cost in a 5?

johnlew
01-10-2003, 12:27 PM
Would be for me, but I can't say for you.

jrubens
01-10-2003, 12:37 PM
Same as the 7? If you take long drives, definitely purchase the comfort seat

PropellerHead
01-10-2003, 02:27 PM
Have the sports in mine and a friend with comfort. As with all things, where preference is king, there will be debate. We both happen to like the side support of my sports better than his comfort. When you really run into a corner, the side bolsters are handy. In his car, I have to "pucker" a little harder not to slide across the seat.

The comfort do adjust in more ways (16 vs 14, I think). We drove his car with comfort on a 14 hour initial pickup and I've driven my car with sport on similar routes. I dont have back pain, though so I dont notice any discomfort in the sports.

Take a seat and take a drive. It's all you.

DCC
01-10-2003, 09:55 PM
ok...a couple more questions

1) the comfort seat headrest in the front is different from the regular or sport seat headrest...when you buy the option, will you get matching rear headrests also?
2) so the side bolsters are the same in sport and comfort seats right?...the most visual difference would be the seat bottom since its less concave or more flat compared to the sport seat...this would mean that the seats would wear better over time since there would be less scuffing from getting in and out yes?

Thanks

Nick325xiT 5spd
01-10-2003, 09:57 PM
The E39 sport seats are the most comfy seats I have ever sat in. The comfort seats are like Volvo S80 seats, IMHO. (OK, not quite that bad.) Very nice in a straight line, but scary in corners.

PropellerHead
01-11-2003, 11:13 AM
Originally posted by DCC
ok...a couple more questions

1) the comfort seat headrest in the front is different from the regular or sport seat headrest...when you buy the option, will you get matching rear headrests also?I wasnt aware the head rests were different from seat option to seat option, but thought it had more to do with the years. My friend's are different in his 97 with comfort seats than my 2000 with sport. If you are asking whether the headrests are the same, I would say no 'cause the ones for the front are front seat head rests and the rears are are for the rears. Presumably, they are smaller in the rear to allow for more visability. As John alluded, there are no changes to the rear seats (or headrests) in comfort seats.Originally posted by DCC 2) so the side bolsters are the same in sport and comfort seats right?...the most visual difference would be the seat bottom since its less concave or more flat compared to the sport seat...this would mean that the seats would wear better over time since there would be less scuffing from getting in and out yes?

Thanks The side bolsters are the most disctint, visual difference between comfort and non. The entire seat is different, both visually and in function.