PDA

View Full Version : Driving with broken leg?

khnaga
02-15-2007, 09:04 AM
Two week after placing an order for my X3 with manual transmission, I break my left leg. I am thinking that I should hold onto my E39 until my leg heals enough to hit the clutch. I could still take delivery, when the X3 arrives in about 4 weeks and then be tortured knowing that I can't drive the car yet.
Be interested to hear your experiences with using the clutch, when your foot is injured. I would imagine that I would not need to slam the clutch in....so not too much pain driving around!

Just Bryce
02-15-2007, 09:10 AM
I had a severe knee injury years ago. At the time I had a manual Nissan p/u, I learned to twist my hip to use my nonbending left leg to operate the clutch. It took some getting used to but it wasn't painful.

UncleJ
02-15-2007, 09:46 AM
Sorry about the leg! Can you even get into an X3 with your cast? Even if you can I would bet that trying to drive it in any kind of traffic (stop and go) would be a nightmare. I guess it depends on the break and how the cast is put on. Your first thought of hanging on the the old car (with a/t I assume) is probably best. Good luck!

lochness
02-15-2007, 12:56 PM
I had a severely sprained left ankle last summer and driving my e36 MT was very painful even w/ a heavy brace and I couldn't even think about driving my M3 w/ much heavier clutch. I'd hang onto the auto until you're healed.

crazybelgian
02-15-2007, 01:16 PM
I've had a severe knee injury and couldn't drive my manual for 5 months. Even after that it was painful and tricky.
With a cast, it would be seriously irresponsible to drive if you ask me. What if you get in an accident because you can't react fast enough? Not to mention the fact that you are jeopardizing your injured leg... it might not heal the same when used too much.
Just my opinion though...