PDA

View Full Version : License plate question

Richard B
01-10-2003, 09:51 AM
I posted this on another bmw forum, but I wanted to see if anyone here had a good suggestion.
Here is the dilema.

I recently bought a 330Ci that the previous owner had ordered in Germany and had shipped to the states. It appears that the holes in the trunk are drilled for a German license plate. Is there a plate frame or some kind of adaptor that I can buy so I don't have to drill through the plate? Or does anyone have any other ideas on how I should attach the plate to the car?

thanks

Desertnate
01-10-2003, 10:14 AM
Originally posted by Richard B
I posted this on another bmw forum, but I wanted to see if anyone here had a good suggestion.
Here is the dilema.

I recently bought a 330Ci that the previous owner had ordered in Germany and had shipped to the states. It appears that the holes in the trunk are drilled for a German license plate. Is there a plate frame or some kind of adaptor that I can buy so I don't have to drill through the plate? Or does anyone have any other ideas on how I should attach the plate to the car?

thanks

I have actually moved my car the opposite direction as you...here is what I have learned.

The screw holes are a universal width...in the states, the dealer gave me a black plastic holder that mounted via the two screws in the truck and you then mounted the plate via four additional screws that went through the plate into the plastic holder.

Now that I have my car in Europe you can get a different bracket shaped to fit a European plate that mounts to those same two screws.

Living in the UK I got lucky due to their plates not being made to require a mount. I just drilled two holes in the plastic number plate itself, and mounted it straight into the trunk with a little electrician tape around the back side edges of the plate and two PVC washers on the backside of the screws to prevent scratches.

Your dealer should have the holder...did the previous owner never drive the car in the states? if he took the plate holder when he sold the car that is reall cheap...

Richard B
01-10-2003, 10:42 AM
thank you for the information....the car had a euro plate on it and he had just got a personal plate that he had not mounted...that is why he didn't have the plate holder on it...he is an upstanding seller. I just spoke with him and said that he would send me the cash to get a plate holder.....the guy has big cash....he had a new M3 and a new Porsche Carbiolet sitting in the drive.....so cheapness is not the issue...

thanks again...

Richard B
01-15-2003, 12:42 PM
For anyone interested, I spoke with the previous owner of the car and he has an adapter that was given to him by the dealer. It converts the two holes for the German plate to the 4 holes for the American plate. The dealer sells them for $26.

Lansing
02-20-2003, 11:09 PM
That's what I used, and it worked fine. In fact, I liked the european plates a lot--great association with the ED experience. I've mounted my Cali plates on top of the european plates just so I can have that last vestiage of a rememberance.

Another guy had done the same...Let's see how long I run it that way.

Lansing