PDA

View Full Version : Someone must have jacked my signature here

5Thirty
02-17-2007, 08:45 AM
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/04-05-06-E60-525I-530I-545I-550I-M5-MATTE-BLACK-GRILLE_W0QQitemZ320083314539QQihZ011QQcategoryZ336 45QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Looks like someone came and grabbed my signature and used it on his ebay auction:mad: :mad:

Guys, I am not the seller ok? If you have problems with the grille u bought from him, dont email me :D :D oh...and dont come after my car.:angel: :angel:

krash
02-17-2007, 10:55 AM
Wow. That is serious stuff.

First of all, it is fraudulent. He is misleading customers. You can't do that. This is why I'll never buy anything on eBay.

Seriously dude, you should call the FBI. He is selling a car on the internet and it is a photo of your car...I wouldn't stand by and do nothing.

bimmerrg
02-17-2007, 01:02 PM
oh come on, I think the guy is selling the black grille and used this CAR style for showing it. Using any ones photo with out permission can be an issue though!

Alex550
02-17-2007, 01:23 PM
I would e-mail him and either ask that he remove it, or give you something in exchange for letting him use it. But anyways, that is one sweet looking ride, no wonder he wants to use it for his ad.

stream
02-17-2007, 01:53 PM
Look where my sig pic ended up :) (they asked and I gave permission):

http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/BMW_E60

krash
02-17-2007, 02:40 PM
oh come on, I think the guy is selling the black grille and used this CAR style for showing it. Using any ones photo with out permission can be an issue though!

if he just selling the grills, then I probably over-reacted...but, it is still pretty rude to use someone's picture like that

Maximus57
02-17-2007, 02:50 PM
Unless the photo has a copyright, it's fair game.

FyteOn
02-17-2007, 03:14 PM
:rolleyes: The FBI? Cmon...

Me530
02-17-2007, 04:00 PM
Look where my sig pic ended up :) (they asked and I gave permission):

http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/BMW_E60

Cool! :thumbup: :thumbup:

Bart001
02-17-2007, 07:48 PM
Unless the photo has a copyright, it's fair game.

Good job on the internet lawyering. :eek: Copyright arises automatically upon creation of the work. The photo is protected by copyright even absent the creator registering said copyright.

FyteOn
02-17-2007, 08:49 PM
That's correct. Now if the guy went out a took a picture of the car himself, even if it's not his car, then that's ok. No expectation of privacy for something held out in public. Wow, 3 years of law school just paid off for something.

Kouper
02-17-2007, 09:34 PM
Report it to e-bay. I had an incident where some thief actually duplicated the product page I had listed on e-bay, using my screen name, photo, everything. There's all kinds of fraud/security problems with e-bay these days.

5Thirty
02-18-2007, 12:26 AM
Wo wo wo, calm down guys hahah. I dont have to call FBI on this....in fact, I won't have a problem if someone would have asked me for the pic and would've have let me know what they are gonna use it for....you know what I mean? Its not like my car is some top secret car or something. I just wanted to let everyone know that I am not the seller in case someone recognize the pic. I just felt like somebody just broke into my front yard, grabbed my water hose to wash his car on my driveway without asking...... and thought I would never find out. But again, bottom line is its just a pic....as if it was just water (at least he didnt come in and grab my Meguiars too). ;)

Bart001
02-18-2007, 03:58 AM
That's correct. Now if the guy went out a took a picture of the car himself, even if it's not his car, then that's ok. No expectation of privacy for something held out in public. Wow, 3 years of law school just paid off for something.

Expectation of privacy really isn't a copyright issue at all. No copyright issue with your hypothetical because the owner of the car doesn't own the copyright in the car's design, for one.

But that "expectation of privacy" term does come up in 4th Amendment search cases.

krash
02-18-2007, 07:01 AM
:rolleyes: The FBI? Cmon...

The FBI would be justified if the seller was selling a car, and then posted a picture of your car, correct?

I agree that if he is only selling grills, then FBI is not justified.

But if I went on eBay, and someone was selling a car, and it was my car, then that is FRAUD and against the law. Correct?

One other thing: That seller could be someone here that frequently posts and converses with all of us.

FyteOn
02-18-2007, 09:24 AM
[But that "expectation of privacy" term does come up in 4th Amendment search cases]

Three years at Georgetown and still couldn't get the answer right. Crim Pro/Copyright, it's all the same to me. I guess that's why I went into banking. :rofl:

SC400
02-20-2007, 07:00 AM
If you want action to be taken, contact ebay, they aggresively fight plagerism, be it text or images.