PDA

View Full Version : Just got my Bimmer!

IUBMW
02-17-2007, 04:55 PM
After months of lurking on the forum and debating b/t a new 3 or used 5 series, I finally pulled the trigger and got a used 5. In the end, the 3 just did not have the size I needed. Some specs:

525i
Black Sapphire
Auburn Leather (looks sweet!)
Step
Cold Weather
Premium
Xenons

Initial impressions
-The ride is as nice as everyone says - very nice and confident and handled well in the snow today, I was pleasantly surprised by that since it had only all seasons and is not an xi.
-I actually like IDrive alot - especially the bluetooth functionality. I don't get why people are so upset about it, I think it functions very well and is easy to use while driving.
-the xenons are awesome.
-I love the cabin and interior, very understated and elegant. I like that it doesn't beat you over the head with trying to be all fancy with tricked up gauges and purple lighting, just solid and luxurious timeless design.
-The cruise control setting is pretty cool too.
-The only minor nag - and it will probably just become 2nd nature after a while - is the start stop button is not intuitive yet. I wish BMW would just give you the comfort access feature all ready!

Had a couple of ?'s

-Can you add comfort access after the fact and, if so, how much?
-Can you add NAV to the idrive after the fact?

Anyway - thanks for all the info and for the great site, I will post some pics after the snow melts away. Happy Driving....

Me530
02-17-2007, 05:43 PM
Welcome aboard! Glad you went with the 5er!

Unfortunately, the answers to your questions are no and no. :(

jcatral14
02-17-2007, 07:57 PM
Welcome to the club :) :hi:

Fixxer
02-19-2007, 06:44 PM
Welcome...enjoy the ride...

merklebob
02-20-2007, 07:51 AM
comfort access must be factory installed.

get a garmin, tomtom.... there better gps nav.

joe2700
02-20-2007, 08:03 AM
Welcome and congratulations on your new 5er.

I agree with you, iDrive is great. The guys that are complaining about it are probably the same ones that can't use a mouse on a computer. Or, they might be journalists that expect to figure it out in 30 sec.

I don't think you can add Nav after the fact. But to tell you the truth, BMW's NAV isn't anything to brag about. Your better off getting an aftermarket NAV for $300-$500.

Veight
02-20-2007, 09:38 AM
After months of lurking on the forum and debating b/t a new 3 or used 5 series, I finally pulled the trigger and got a used 5. In the end, the 3 just did not have the size I needed. Some specs:

525i
Black Sapphire
Auburn Leather (looks sweet!)
Step
Cold Weather
Premium
Xenons

Initial impressions
-The ride is as nice as everyone says - very nice and confident and handled well in the snow today, I was pleasantly surprised by that since it had only all seasons and is not an xi.
-I actually like IDrive alot - especially the bluetooth functionality. I don't get why people are so upset about it, I think it functions very well and is easy to use while driving.
-the xenons are awesome.
-I love the cabin and interior, very understated and elegant. I like that it doesn't beat you over the head with trying to be all fancy with tricked up gauges and purple lighting, just solid and luxurious timeless design.
-The cruise control setting is pretty cool too.
-The only minor nag - and it will probably just become 2nd nature after a while - is the start stop button is not intuitive yet. I wish BMW would just give you the comfort access feature all ready!

Had a couple of ?'s

-Can you add comfort access after the fact and, if so, how much?
-Can you add NAV to the idrive after the fact?

Anyway - thanks for all the info and for the great site, I will post some pics after the snow melts away. Happy Driving....

Did you attend IU?

Im am a BS Finance IU class of 1977.

schnell525
02-20-2007, 09:50 AM
Congrats on your BMW!

IUBMW
02-20-2007, 07:31 PM
Yeah, I went to IU.

I noticed something and don't know if this is normal. After I drive the car, sometimes I will go into the garage to throw something away or just look at the Bimmer to make sure it is ok. Anyway, sometimes there is a noise coming from either the engine or center console - sounds like a CD changing or something like that, hard to describe. It will happen like every 2 minutes and then will just stop. Has anyone experienced or heard about this?

Also, for car care what do you guys recommend? For exterior, I have heard Xaino works well, especially on dark cars. Do you guys use the lotion on the leather inside?

Pjuran
02-21-2007, 04:41 AM
Easy on and off

Water beads are small

Bird crap rolls off

aficionado
02-21-2007, 01:08 PM
Also, for car care what do you guys recommend? For exterior, I have heard Xaino works well, especially on dark cars. Do you guys use the lotion on the leather inside?

Zaino is the name and shiny is its game. There is a learning curve, but once you get it, it's the easiest thing to use.

BigWhup
02-25-2007, 02:08 PM
I've been using Zaino for the past 5 years or so, including their Leather in a Bottle. Their polishing products are great, easy to apply and even easier to remove. I like the easy part and also like that it doesn't stain the black (wipers, trim etc). If you get some on those parts you never know it.

Leather in a Bottle is even better, easy to apply, smells EXACTLY like leather.

I am not too keen on their tire treatment. It works well but is a very thin consistency so if you get too much on an applicator it can run onto the wheels. Doesn't hurt anything, just a little too thin. That won't keep me from buying it, however!

NASA43
02-25-2007, 02:25 PM
I've been using Zaino for the past 5 years or so, including their Leather in a Bottle. Their polishing products are great, easy to apply and even easier to remove. I like the easy part and also like that it doesn't stain the black (wipers, trim etc). If you get some on those parts you never know it.

Leather in a Bottle is even better, easy to apply, smells EXACTLY like leather.

I am not too keen on their tire treatment. It works well but is a very thin consistency so if you get too much on an applicator it can run onto the wheels. Doesn't hurt anything, just a little too thin. That won't keep me from buying it, however!

I agree completely. Especially the Leather in a Bottle. It really leaves your car smelling good too. What I do with the tire treatment is pour some onto a dry cloth, wipe the tire down, then go over the tire with a separate dry cloth to get any extra solution off. A little goes a long way.

IUBMW
02-25-2007, 05:15 PM
Which application have you guys used? On their site I see a ZS-Clear Seal, All in One and then a Grand Finale spray - do you guys use all three or is one good enough? Also, do you use their applicator pad or is there something else that is ok to use? Thanks for all the info....