PDA

View Full Version : X3 with Nav ?

TestnDoc
02-18-2007, 07:41 AM
My girlfriend is thinking about getting an X3. She wants it equipped with navigation. From the pictures in the brochure, it looks like the radio controls are laid out differently. Where are the radio stations displayed on an X3 with nav... on the Nav screen? Is there voice control? Also, is there a USB iPod interface? Thanks

vern
02-18-2007, 08:59 AM
My girlfriend is thinking about getting an X3. She wants it equipped with navigation. From the pictures in the brochure, it looks like the radio controls are laid out differently. Where are the radio stations displayed on an X3 with nav... on the Nav screen? Is there voice control? Also, is there a USB iPod interface? Thanks
Radio stations come up on the Nav screen. No VC for the Nav. IMO the Nav is well worth the price.
cheers
vern

iversonm
02-18-2007, 06:54 PM
I'd be lost without it...

:D

White05X3
02-18-2007, 11:16 PM
The OE Nav is great! The radio station is displayed on the nav screen (usually right above the map if you are in split screen mode).

Voice control of nav requires an additional voice control module. I think it is between $500 and $700.

There is no USB iPod interface for the X3.

TestnDoc
02-19-2007, 06:56 AM
The OE Nav is great! The radio station is displayed on the nav screen (usually right above the map if you are in split screen mode).

Voice control of nav requires an additional voice control module. I think it is between $500 and $700.

There is no USB iPod interface for the X3.

Thanks for the info. Is there an iPod interface of any kind? How does it work( do you have to sacrifice the CD changer)? Thanks

stangmatt66
02-19-2007, 08:24 AM
Thanks for the info. Is there an iPod interface of any kind? How does it work( do you have to sacrifice the CD changer)? Thanks

You can plug the iPod into the aux-in located on the back of the center console. The aux in connects to the iPod's headphone port so the only control over song selection is on the iPod itself.

If you want a completely integrated solution check out http://www.europeanautosource.com/ and take a look at their iPod solutions for BMW. Their DICE kit will allow full control over the iPod with the radio as well as display track names, etc on the radio or nav screen.

Also, forget about the CD changer, that was so 1999. An MP3 CD can hold more songs than a CD changer. An iPod or other MP3 player can hold even more than that. Don't waste the money on a CD changer.

X3 Skier
02-19-2007, 12:05 PM
Nav is one of those things that some must absolutely have and others think is a waste of money. (I'm in the second camp since I have driven for almost 50 years without one and only rarely get lost and never permanently:rolleyes: ). If you are after only the Nav function, its a lot cheaper getting a Nuvi or Street Pilot that can be taken from car to car and on foot. But to each their own.

Cheers

kettleone
03-13-2007, 05:35 PM
I know this is an old thread but ...

I just ordered my X3 this weekend but the dealer did not have one with Navigation (which I will be getting) and I was wondering what exactly is displayed on the Nav screen from the radio.

Does it display the RDS info like song title, etc. I actually ordered the HD Radio but I assume it will be basically the same only with the HD capability.

Plus I don't know who thought of putting the mini rca jack at the back of the console like that. I use my iPod alot but don't want the cable showing. I know there is the Dice kit but I have no desire to rip into my new X3 plus it seems like lots of people seem to have issues with it and I do not need that frustration.

thanks for your help.

ish
03-15-2007, 04:05 PM
I think I'm spoiled by the touch screen Nav system on the Range Rover, but I think this Nav system on the X3 is a POS.
Menu's sux, everything takes steps. white on white routes you can't read....etc....etc...

SFX3
03-16-2007, 12:48 AM
I love the nav...yes, its not as nice looking and well laid out like some others out there but it sure beats not having one. Also, notthing beats the stock look.

Kettleone, yes the RDS info is shown.

ish
03-16-2007, 05:29 AM
I agree, the tacked on aftermarket is not even an option. I am just disappointed in the Nav's performance.

These are BMW's and I expected 1st rate, I know I paid 1st rate.....lol

kettleone
03-17-2007, 05:40 AM
I love the nav...yes, its not as nice looking and well laid out like some others out there but it sure beats not having one. Also, notthing beats the stock look.

Kettleone, yes the RDS info is shown.

Thank you for confirming this.

Having had Honda/Acura Nav systems in my last few cars, I will say that the system in X3 is definitely not as user friendly but I still like having an OEM version instead of an add on.

Now I just have to wait another 6 weeks or so for it to come in. :cry:

bbal
09-11-2007, 09:28 AM
I'm a potential buyer of X3 with a couple questions re: nav
1. Is there a way to disable the voice while navigating?
2. Since the nav screen pops up every time you start the car, does it ever get in the
way? or in the line of sight of the road?
3. Assuming I leave the screen up at all times, is there a way to simplify the screen
if I'm just using the radio (maybe just the station listed on a black background)?

dug01
09-11-2007, 12:56 PM
I'm a potential buyer of X3 with a couple questions re: nav
1. Is there a way to disable the voice while navigating?
2. Since the nav screen pops up every time you start the car, does it ever get in the
way? or in the line of sight of the road?
3. Assuming I leave the screen up at all times, is there a way to simplify the screen
if I'm just using the radio (maybe just the station listed on a black background)?

There is a vol control setting for the nav
it does not get in the way
You can switch screens to whatever you want

You should go to a dealer and ask all these questions--the sales person will explain all--:thumbup:

bbal
09-11-2007, 02:24 PM
i did try questioning my dealer, as they have no X3 with nav in stock. my knowledge of the X3 including it's options is vastly superior to any of the 3 salespersons that i have encountered so far despite only 3 days of reading, research, and test driving. sometimes i offer up a brief test like, "can i get the heated steering wheel with the sport package?" (which they have said yes to), or, "are there any priority one options on this car?" to which they usually will say, "all the options are in this brochure", then i realize the rest of my questions should be saved for this forum! i realize that they sell many models, but it doesn't take very long to learn it all. this has been my experience when working with multiple salespersons, regardless of whether it's been an
X5, M5, 330, porsche, acura......
on topic...i hope the voice feature can be turned all the way off, and i'm glad to hear that it doesn't get in the way, and that the screen can be simplified.

stangmatt66
09-11-2007, 02:26 PM
sometimes i offer up a brief test like, "can i get the heated steering wheel with the sport package?" or, "are there any priority one options on this car?" and as soon as they say, "yes i think you can", or "all the options are in this brochure", then i realize the rest of my questions should be saved for this forum!

:rofl: You sound just like me. I do the same thing when I'm shopping for cars. I ask a few easy questions to test the sales person and If they don't have the correct answers I'll move on to another sales person or another dealership. You would think SA would know the ins and outs of their product.

vern
09-12-2007, 05:41 AM
:rofl: You sound just like me. I do the same thing when I'm shopping for cars. I ask a few easy questions to test the sales person and If they don't have the correct answers I'll move on to another sales person or another dealership. You would think SA would know the ins and outs of their product.Thats one of the reasons why I use JMK BMW, CA"s that I've used are very well versed in BMW's and can answer all your questions. They don't just sit there and fill out the blanks on the order form One other plus is if you have a Fax # and are doing a ED they will Fax you the forms that you have to sign so you have a chance to read them before you put your signature on the bottom line.
cheers
vern