PDA

View Full Version : idle+ huge spurts of exhaust gas, 2006 530i

Kiki3
02-18-2007, 09:23 AM
my car, a 2006 530i, has a rough idle problem. When I stop after driving it, let's say at a traffic light, the idle rpm fluctuates between 600 to 700. I can feel a lot of vibrations on the car seat, and the steering wheel. the car seems to be revving up. Also there is a lot of almost whitish smoke coming out in spurts when the car is stopped at a traffic light. it goes away once i start driving it. i looked around quite a few times to see if the other cars were doing this. very few did so but the exhaust gas was clearer and much lesser than mine. This happens even if I have been driving for more than 20 minutes at speeds of 40 miles and above. i took it to the dealer, he says everything is fine. i don't buy that. i live in Maryland. any suggestions?

Me530
02-18-2007, 10:23 AM
Usually a white-ish/blue-ish exhaust means that oil getting into the combustion chamber. Were you able to demonstrate the condition to your current dealer? If so, take it to a new dealer.

Charles
02-18-2007, 02:36 PM
White is water or coolant, blue oil, and brown fuel. How is the humidity level been. Might just be condensation build up in the exhaust, but one would think condensation would burn off after 20 min drive time.

Kiki3
02-18-2007, 03:11 PM
Usually a white-ish/blue-ish exhaust means that oil getting into the combustion chamber. Were you able to demonstrate the condition to your current dealer? If so, take it to a new dealer.

Yes, I did, with the service manager. He said that they would look into it and then after keeping the car for 2 whole weeks to also look into a host of other issues, they concluded that things looked fine including the rough idle.

also the exhaust is more white than any other color. it comes on and off when i have stopped. i very stronlgy believe it is related to the rough idle.

kevinp
02-19-2007, 06:32 AM
Yes, I did, with the service manager. He said that they would look into it and then after keeping the car for 2 whole weeks to also look into a host of other issues, they concluded that things looked fine including the rough idle.

also the exhaust is more white than any other color. it comes on and off when i have stopped. i very stronlgy believe it is related to the rough idle.

Who is your dealer?

bmwstephen
04-07-2007, 10:58 PM
subscribed

killcrap
04-08-2007, 11:34 AM
which engine do you have? m54? n52? did the dealer check if there is adequate vacuum produced if the engine is m54 with a slacktube? a faulty oil seperator can do this. also if the disa valve is fluttering, and the pin that holds the valve comes out, this can cause serious engine damage. these are what i would check on a m54.

bmwstephen
04-08-2007, 01:51 PM
where can i locate the oil seperator?

izen2
04-08-2007, 02:10 PM
A 2006 530i has a N52 engine, I believe. Mag/Al composite block. Look for head gasket leak. The AL portion has the water passages and the Mag portion has the oil passages.

aldo007
07-12-2010, 12:46 PM
Am am wondering what the outcome was of your white smoke from the exhaust and rough idle because I have a very similar problem.

I have 104,124 miles on my '04 525i and I drove 2 1/2 hours with the family this weekend and when I arrived at my destination, and got to the residential neighborhood, I made a u-turn to pull into the curve and that is when I FIRST noticed the smoke. I had no light come on or anything the whole trip. I stopped, put the car in park and then it started to idle roughly and shake. I shut down and check to see if the cooler I had in the trunk had leaked water. It did not so I started it up again and a lot of white smoke came out again. It was really scentless but white. I let the car cool down and then I checked the water and it was pefectly full and the oil was 1 qt low. I had just serviced the engine 1 quart one week prior. I found an oil leak on the car but am not sure why the smoke would subdue if it was a blown head gasket. Please let me know what everyone recommends. I am lost as to what this could be.