PDA

View Full Version : Anyone hardwire their radar detector in an '07 530* yet?

simplemind
02-18-2007, 06:44 PM
If you have, which hot wire did you get power from and exactly where was it located?

I did this in my 325, but I am having trouble locating the right wire. I want it to be controlled by the ignition switch, btw.

Thanks,
SM

Padre650i
02-19-2007, 05:58 AM
Here's a great link: http://forums.e60.net/index.php?showtopic=708

It's the green/yellow wire that goes to the rain sensor. I did this on my 07 530xi last week and it took all of 10 minutes.

simplemind
02-20-2007, 12:16 PM
Thanks Rich, I had the right wire.
My bad was that I thought it would become hot when I just inserted the key fob. You actually have to start the engine for that circuit to becomes hot. :rolleyes:

Padre650i
02-20-2007, 02:51 PM
Thanks Rich, I had the right wire.
My bad was that I thought it would become hot when I just inserted the key fob. You actually have to start the engine for that circuit to becomes hot. :rolleyes:

No need to start the engine, just insert the key fob and keep your foot off the brake and press the Start button......

DPN
02-22-2007, 02:48 PM
Hey Rich. I got your message but I STILL can't find the green wire w/ yellow stripe going to the rain sensor. Now I have a 2007 530xiT (wagon) so I'm not sure if that has anything to do with not having the green w/ yellow wire. I saw about 8 wires in the bundle to the rain sensor. I checked a few that had stripes but they were +5VDC and 0VDC. Keep in mind I did this V1 hardwire on my 2003 E46 so I know what the green w/ yellow stripe wire looks like. I just don't have one. Anyone else try to do this on an '07 530xiT?

simplemind
02-22-2007, 05:06 PM
Hey Rich. I got your message but I STILL can't find the green wire w/ yellow stripe going to the rain sensor. Now I have a 2007 530xiT (wagon) so I'm not sure if that has anything to do with not having the green w/ yellow wire. I saw about 8 wires in the bundle to the rain sensor. I checked a few that had stripes but they were +5VDC and 0VDC. Keep in mind I did this V1 hardwire on my 2003 E46 so I know what the green w/ yellow stripe wire looks like. I just don't have one. Anyone else try to do this on an '07 530xiT?

On mine, the green was predominant, the yellow stripe was faint. Keep looking :thumbup:

theworm
02-23-2007, 07:52 AM
Just did a V1 in my 07 550 last night according to Don Juan's instructions in the e60 link. 20 minutes end-to-end. My green/yellow wire was in a bundle attached to the roof, it's not one of the bundles hanging down to the panels/switches. The yellow stripe is very faint as simplemind notes.

10mm crescent needed for the grounding bolt used in that thread. I used one of those articulating wratchets and it wasn't too difficult, but it is very tight in there.

If you haven't gotten that far, you might want to check if one of the more accessible torx bolts on the silver box up there (sunroof motor? telecom equip?) can serve as a ground.

FWIW, I found the easiest place to run the wire out of the headliner and to the windshield right next to the rear view mirror, where the wires come down for everything else - there's more flex and working room. You can slide your power/tel cord left or right once it's through.

Also, someone suggested putting a towel/blanket over the center console area while working - a good idea since the limited working room increases the likelihood of dropping a wrench on your dash or console (or, in my case, dropping it twice).

DBU
02-25-2007, 11:28 PM
If you have, which hot wire did you get power from and exactly where was it located?

I did this in my 325, but I am having trouble locating the right wire. I want it to be controlled by the ignition switch, btw.

Thanks,
SM

My detector is resting on the dash in the crease between the instrument cluster and the iDrive. I "hardwired" it be running a wire from the passenger foot well power outlet up in front of the glove box and through the iDrive screen opening. You can remove the iDrive screen quite easily and there is plenty of space. The only exposed wire is abt 1" from the top of the dash around the edge into the iDrive cluster.

simplemind
02-26-2007, 06:07 AM
I did find the right wire in the overhead (the green w/ yellow stripe). Thanks to those that posted for the help! :angel: