PDA

View Full Version : Any news on x3 diesel version?

abcd1
02-19-2007, 01:32 PM
Wondering if there is any information on the diesel version release of x3 ED or US?

stangmatt66
02-19-2007, 01:41 PM
I think there has always been a diesel version of the X3 since it was introduced, however, we have never gotten it in North America. The top of the range X3 in Europe is powered by a twin-turbo 3L diesel.

abcd1
02-19-2007, 01:49 PM
I meant for the US....yeah always had it in Europe.

UncleJ
02-20-2007, 08:38 AM
I have been interested in the diesel introduction for some time and it seems like MY '09 is kind of a general consensus for most marques. There is a lot of "buzz" not only for BMW but also the traditional diesel players like VW and Benz in the boards I have followed. The domestics are also looking at diesel in their large SUV and half ton truck lines as well. I hope they do it better than the last time they tried it! By '09 low sulfer diesel fuel will be available throughout California (and elsewhere) which seems to be why that date has significance. MB and VW of course offer diesels now but only as "47 state" cars. I wonder if BMW is already making diesel X5's for export to europe?

crazybelgian
02-20-2007, 09:56 AM
I wonder if BMW is already making diesel X5's for export to europe?

I'm sure they are. In countries like Belgium, close to 80% of the new cars are diesel, and they like their expensive German cars...

XFOS
02-20-2007, 10:59 AM
Talk to my SA. The X3 will come this fall in Diesel option. Specs on another forum are impressive on torque, fuel economy and hp. They are supposed to be very quiet. I am going for an X3 this year for wife, but without test driving one first I am not sure. Also the higher price of the Diesel here, does it really compensates with the higuer mileage ??.

stangmatt66
02-20-2007, 11:27 AM
Talk to my SA. The X3 will come this fall in Diesel option. Specs on another forum are impressive on torque, fuel economy and hp. They are supposed to be very quiet. I am going for an X3 this year for wife, but without test driving one first I am not sure. Also the higher price of the Diesel here, does it really compensates with the higuer mileage ??.

Hmm... I'll have to look into this. I wonder when this will be available for ordering and I wonder if it will be available in CARB states.

NateXTR
02-20-2007, 01:55 PM

Absolutely! We would pay about .20 per gallon to buy Diesel, you can count on at least a 30% more efficient engine, I would do it in a heartbeat! A quick calculation reveals that if you drive 15,000 miles per year, get 20 mpg and pay $2.59 for premium petrol, you would spend $1,942 per annum. Assuming on a 30% increase in economy (most likely would be better - as much as 50%?), with the yearly mileage staying the same, and Diesel costing $2.79 you would save almost $300!

I guess the only real questions are 1) will BMW charge more for a Diesel vehicle? 2) will "Big Oil" raise the price of Diesel to make up for the fact that they will be selling less gas? I suppose that only time will tell...

Bobert
02-20-2007, 04:15 PM
I guess the only real questions are 1) will BMW charge more for a Diesel vehicle? 2) will "Big Oil" raise the price of Diesel to make up for the fact that they will be selling less gas? I suppose that only time will tell...

1) My guess is BMW will absolutely charge more for the diesel. I would say at least $1,500 over the 3.0si.

2) The only time I've seen diesel about the same price as petrol is when gas spiked to $3.00+ a gallon. I noticed that diesel during that period was the same price as the "plus" gas in my area, but not the same price as regular though. Now diesel is .20 to .30 cents higher than regular gas.

I wouldn't be surprised during the next spike that Big Oil will still keep the .20-.30 cent spread between regular gas and diesel. They are always looking to squeeze an extra buck out of their "customers". The refining of diesel has to be a fair bit lower in cost than to make gas, yet the oil companies still charge more for diesel because they know it is more efficient. Bastards. :p

calgaryx3
02-20-2007, 08:40 PM
Suspension and chassis notwithstanding, I wonder if the new diesel would make the X3 a better tow vehicle i.e not smoother to drive, but with a higher max-tow rating?

A
Looking for a lightweight hardside RV :)

NateXTR
02-20-2007, 09:24 PM
Torque is your friend!:thumbup:

x3man
02-20-2007, 09:30 PM
Wondering if there is any information on the diesel version release of x3 ED or US?

I really don't want to see a diesel. I want to see a plug-in hybrid instead. Diesel gas is hard to find. It's there but not every gas station has it. It also doesn't offer the benefits that a hybrid does (quieter, less emissions, etc...) and a plug-in hybrid would be ideal.

riverripper
02-21-2007, 09:59 AM

Save even more money and run it with home heating oil...its the same thing just dyed red. The reason the price is different is due to the road tax. Just dont get into an accident and have your gas tank break open and you will be good to go. Things like boats aren't required to pay road tax so typically they are filled with the dyed diesel. So is farm equipment and any non-road going vehicle.

iversonm
02-21-2007, 10:07 AM
By '09 low sulfer diesel fuel will be available throughout California (and elsewhere) which seems to be why that date has significance.
Low sulfur diesel was mandated at the beginning of this year.

The hold up is still the overly stringent (IMO) particulate emissions standards set by CARB and the Federal Tier 2 standards.

They are close to solving this problem however, and you should see BMW 50 state diesel begin to be introduced in MY 08.

I wonder if BMW is already making diesel X5's for export to europe?

They are.

iversonm
02-21-2007, 10:35 AM
I really don't want to see a diesel. I want to see a plug-in hybrid instead. Diesel gas is hard to find. It's there but not every gas station has it. It also doesn't offer the benefits that a hybrid does (quieter, less emissions, etc...) and a plug-in hybrid would be ideal.

While I don't intend to state that hybrids are not important or relevant, we should not rely on one technology to improve economy/CO2 emissions.

If I had a typical 30-minute urban commute, a plug in hybrid would be spectacular.
If I had a long 45-minute highway commute, the diesel will be superior.

We need multiple solutions to our energy needs, including Smart cars, plug-in hybrids, conventional hybrids, and diesels. We need fuels like hydrogen, bio-diesel, and ethanol.

We keep making the mistake of looking for a one-size-fits-all solution. For example, everyone points out that there is not enough farmland in the world to fullfill out energy needs with ethanol. However, if you could satisfy 5% of our needs with ethanol, that would be better than where we are now.
Get another 5-10% from diesel, 2-3% from ethanol, another 10% from hybrids, and you're starting to make a real difference.

A plus for diesels is that they don't significantly compromise the power and performance you've come to enjoy. They are as quiet as a a gasoline engine. This is critical to market acceptance. I can't see the average reader of this group embracing a Prius.

Before you point at a car like the the Accord hybrid, look at the 335d (http://www.bmw335d.com/): 0-62 in 6.2 seconds, and 40 mpg highway.
The Accord hybrid is 35 mpg highway and 0-60 in 7.5 seconds.

Add a regenerative braking system, once the cost improves, and you can take it even further with a hybrid diesel.

sfca-325i
02-21-2007, 11:40 AM
Add a regenerative braking system, once the cost improves, and you can take it even further with a hybrid diesel.

Now THAT would get me to upgrade my X3.

:thumbup:

UncleJ
02-22-2007, 12:18 AM
Ivers thanks for the answers. I am really looking forward to a diesel X3 in my garage within the next few years. A diesel hybrid would even be better! Interestingly there was a Mercury concept crossover with just that arrangement but of course nothing came of it.

phuksi
02-23-2007, 09:17 AM
Save even more money and run it with home heating oil...its the same thing just dyed red. The reason the price is different is due to the road tax.

Just a warning... This was true even 5 years ago. However, the moderndiesel refined for cars has additives that are not found in the 'raw' non taxable version that can be used for house heating, old tracktors, old boats etc. And the latest engines require those additives. Even for boats with the latest technology diesel engines they recommend (and may require from warranty perspective) to use proper diesel fuel.

Still, gotta love modern diesel engines, especially BMW's :D

- p

OhioX3
02-23-2007, 11:22 PM
The refining of diesel has to be a fair bit lower in cost than to make gas, yet the oil companies still charge more for diesel because they know it is more efficient.The new 15ppm low sulfer diesel must take more refining than the old diesel, so I think that's why they kept the diesel fuel prices high over the last year (the spike after Katrina), because they wanted to line their pockets to ramp up for higher refining costs.