PDA

View Full Version : Frost inside my CAR

halaat
02-19-2007, 10:38 PM
Hi Buddies,

I have a Strange Problem with my X3 from the past 3 days.
If i leave my car outside for a while Approx 2 hrs in the evening My Wind screen is getting frosted heavily and even the door mirrors.

Please do suggest me

Thanks

Brent P
02-19-2007, 10:54 PM
Haa haa.... you don't have any experience with cool climates do you?

The temperature must be dropping lower at night than what you're used to. It's very humid in California if you're near the coast, and if the temperature drops in the evening below the dew point you will get condensation on your windows and mirrors, which will then turn to frost if the temperature continues to drop. The defrost setting on your heater, and the mirror heaters, are designed to eliminate the problem.

halaat
02-19-2007, 10:58 PM
Thanks very much buddy,I was wondering why its happening only to My vehicle in the office.Is there is a way to adjust...settings??

Brent P
02-19-2007, 11:38 PM
Which do you have, manual or auto climate control?

Also, so I understand you correctly, is it fogging/frosting while sitting or while you're driving?

halaat
02-19-2007, 11:41 PM
Hi buddy,

Actually its fogging while i park the car.I had to defrost my car always before i drive....Its manual climate control..

Brent P
02-19-2007, 11:59 PM
Make sure you have the system set so that it is bringing in fresh air and not recirculating the air. Having the system on recirc will trap moisture in the car and make the fogging worse.

Turn on the air conditioner, switch the control to blow air on the windshield, and turn the fan on full speed. It should clear within seconds. Once it has cleared you can turn on the heat. This is the best way to clear windows when they have fogged (not frosted) over. If they are actually frosted (which I doubt) you will need to use heat.

halaat
02-20-2007, 12:03 AM
Thanks for the reply.

Ok i will do the following as you have suggested.
So u mean its causing due to recirculation of the inside air right??

Brent P
02-20-2007, 12:08 AM
Thanks for the reply.

Ok i will do the following as you have suggested.
So u mean its causing due to recirculation of the inside air right??

It's a possible explanation. If you run it with the recirc. setting on, then it will trap a lot of moisture in the car as you breath instead of exchanging it with fresh air. Once you stop and the glass cools, the high humidity inside will condense on the windows.

OCNYBMW
02-20-2007, 06:01 PM
The other thing, even though it is obvious, make sure that your windows are all the way up. Even a tiny crack can cause this. Sorry to state the obvious :)

AzNMpower32
02-20-2007, 06:42 PM
Actually, I know jus what the OP is talking about. The insulation on the X3 (at least ours) doesn't seem to be that airtight. We just took a trip to Montreal, and on the colder days, cold air seeps into the vehicle, usually through the rear windows. Because it's so cold outside, the air that seeps hits the 68F warmth inside, and causes some condensation around the cracks. And then the air outside makes the surface cold enough that some minor frost builds up inside the vehicle.

It has nothing to do with the HVAC system. On I-87, cold air was readily seeping in in the split between the big and small rear window (ya know, how most of the rear window goes down but there's a division and there's a smaller piece that doesnt go down). As a result, there was the frost, and the backseat area was about 10F colder than the front.

atmgr
02-21-2007, 10:49 AM
I always thought X3 was sealed airtight because, either under the sun in summer or parked outside in real cold winter days (in Toronto, only a tiny bit better than your Montreal experience), it doesn't get that hot/cold as my older ride (Audi A4). Just my own observation.

Brent P
02-21-2007, 04:34 PM
Actually, I know jus what the OP is talking about. The insulation on the X3 (at least ours) doesn't seem to be that airtight. We just took a trip to Montreal, and on the colder days, cold air seeps into the vehicle, usually through the rear windows. Because it's so cold outside, the air that seeps hits the 68F warmth inside, and causes some condensation around the cracks. And then the air outside makes the surface cold enough that some minor frost builds up inside the vehicle.

It has nothing to do with the HVAC system. On I-87, cold air was readily seeping in in the split between the big and small rear window (ya know, how most of the rear window goes down but there's a division and there's a smaller piece that doesnt go down). As a result, there was the frost, and the backseat area was about 10F colder than the front.

I don't believe he was referring to icing around leak points, he was referring to condensation over the entire window surface over time after the car was parked at night. Different effect. He's from California, so I assume he really means condensation/fogging from interior humidity rather than frosting/icing.

We don't have the problem you describe. No leakage with our X3.

Tiger55
10-14-2013, 08:50 AM
OK. This is a new one for me. Haven't seen this one until this morning.

I go out to get in the car this AM and the entire front and rear windows are fogged up from the inside. It was around 45F. All the windows were up. Not getting this.

Would the solutions above help here? I doubt I have leakage in the windows both front and back.

timarnold
10-14-2013, 09:42 AM
Another possibility would be that the Vapor seals on one of your doors is leaking & you have a wet carpet. With all of the rain last week, I actually had leaks in both my X3 & 525.

Tiger55
10-14-2013, 09:48 AM
Just checked the carpet, and it was dry as a bone. Will check the vapor seals though--good idea.

nightmareuki
10-14-2013, 10:01 AM
there must be water buildup somewhere in the car, is your sunroof drain fine? some people said that they have water in doors. i used to have water in my trunk bc of the sunroof

X3emist
10-20-2013, 07:48 AM
You must have moisture inside the vehicle obviously. There are several sources of water leaks. Sunroof, sunroof drains, vapor seals in doors clogged airbox drains beneath the windshield etc.

Tiger55
10-21-2013, 09:00 AM
OK. Found it I think.

Water had built up on the front passenger floor--quite wet actually. It evidently had come from the day before, when I had the sunroof open. Checked the drains, and there was the problem. Cleaned, and now no more moisture build-up inside. Vapor barriers appear fine. Thanks for the help, gang!