PDA

View Full Version : Seat belt reractor

brsx3
02-21-2007, 09:47 AM
When I slip my arm out of the drivers side seat belt it doesnt completely retract. It hangs loosely in the door,I dont always notice it and the seatbelt clip has damaged the leather on the door panel when I close it. I realize that I should remember to check the belt when I exit the car but I sometimes forget I never saw this problem in any of the previous cars I owned. my question is does anyone else have this problem and do you think the dealer will fix the leather under warranty?

crazybelgian
02-21-2007, 10:10 AM
my car had it, resulted in the same damage, and yes it should be fixed under warranty.

oops just realized you want the dealer to fix the leather... you can try, but not sure if they will do that.

vrrooom
02-22-2007, 06:38 AM
Known situation, as the retractors don't always retract the belts. My "04 X3 has dings on both sides in the trim panels. The dealer would not fix this under warentee. This had been reported on this form several years ago.:thumbdwn:

Ishniknork
02-22-2007, 05:20 PM
My '05 does the same thing. I just got in the habit of "helping" it :D Didn't even think about it being a warranty issue, just thought it was the way it was designed to work. I might have to look into it.

AzNMpower32
02-22-2007, 06:56 PM
On rare occasion, it does get caught but I don't yank it hard enough and it doesnt occur often to create any damage.

The Toyota Avalon we rented once had this problem big time though. EVERY time it would stick between the drivers' seat and B-pillar :mad:

brsx3
03-14-2007, 08:23 AM
I took the car to my dealer last week and they stated at first that the seat belt wasnt broken,that the belt just twisted when I took it off. At first they were going to charge me to fix the leather door panels but thy relented and said they would fix it this one time only. When I brought the car back yesterday they fixed it and then the service rep. stated he didn't like the way the seat belt retractor was functioning so he was orderding a newone. Go figure that was what I said on the first visit.

bobotski
03-14-2007, 11:16 AM
Why is it that some reps jump the gun that its always your fault? Can't they give you the benefit of the doubt that there is indeed a problem? At least investigate the issue further rather than assume something after a visual or a 5-minute inspection? I mean either way, I guess they still get paid for it even if the vehicle is under warranty.

End of rant.