PDA

View Full Version : A G35C test drive from the viewpoint of a Bimmer owner...

car_for_mom
01-13-2003, 08:13 AM
I've heard so much about the Infiniti G35C that my curiosity got the better of me and I took a test drive yesterday (1/12/03).

Dealer: Infiniti of Montclair, CA

Model: G35C, 6-speed (naturally!), Premium Package, Navigation,
the works, in "Give Me A Ticket, California Highway Patrol"
Red! :D

Positives:

Very, very comfortable seats, lots of power, excellent stablility. I took an off ramp of the 10 at 80 mph (CHP, you did not read that!)

Drawbacks:

I've driven a BMW, and this is no BMW; I admit that I'm not used to (I think this is the correct term) a "short-throw, close-ratio shifter". I thought the shifting was hard and very rough.

To be fair, I'm not used to a Sports Suspension; I thought the ride was stiff and harsh, but I think I'd probably think the same of a similarly equipped Bimmer!

The instrument panel tends to disappear in bright sunlight; at points I couldn't read the tach or speedometer.

Bimmers have often been criticized for an overly "busy" dash, but I found the G35C to be very busy - I think the Navigation contributed a lot to the overall "busyness".

I must say that the G35C is an excellent combination of power, handling, luxury and comfort in a reasonably-priced package!

However, the shifting, handling and exhaust note of the Bimmer is superior (oh, I can say this on this forum and not have to reach for a Kevlar vest! :D )

StLChris
01-13-2003, 08:15 AM
What was the sticker on the G35?

jw
01-13-2003, 08:17 AM
Great observations. Almost did the same thing yesterday. Probably will do it this afternoon instead. I'll post my feedback as well.

webguy330i
01-13-2003, 08:22 AM
Originally posted by StLChris
What was the sticker on the G35?

Sounds like the ~$37k model.

car_for_mom
01-13-2003, 08:26 AM
Originally posted by webguy330i
Sounds like the ~$37k model.

Yep, I think the actual sticker was something like 36,900; it wasn't any less!

webguy330i
01-13-2003, 08:28 AM
Just for fun, see if you can get a test drive in a 350z. I thought it was insane compared to the sound of the G35c, it'd be interesting to see your viewpoint on it. :D

PropellerHead
01-13-2003, 08:50 AM
I drove a G35C about a week ago.

It was *after* I drove the sedan.

I figured if I found the sedan a harsh ride (remember, I have H&R / Bilsteins on the 540), that I would *hate* the coupe. Perhaps it was those expectations that led me to be so surprised in the coupe. It was a 6 speed, no NAV. I found the ride *very* nice- similar to the Z4, in fact.

One thing I *DID* like in particular was running through the gears, which (I have the UUC on the 540) was shorter and less notchy than my 5. In particular, I enjoyed turning off the traction control and getting a VERY defined chirp- nay SCREECH- from the rear wheels. I was nearly hooked-

Until my friend and I got into his '97 740 and drove away. Something about a big ole V8 with the German wrappings that feels like home.

AF
01-13-2003, 09:34 AM
Nnice write-ups to both Car for mom and Topic Review PropellerHead

The G35C seems to be more of a sports car then the 3er . . . I hvean't driven or even sat in a coupe yet but it looks like you sit much lower down in it