PDA

View Full Version : Justifying 3 cars

JPinTO
01-13-2003, 10:13 AM
Alot of you guys here are married... so it's a logical thing to have 2 vehicles. His and hers.

Mine is a 2000 323i that's a commuter drone. Hers is a 2000 ML320 family hauler drone. I'm happy with both... but want to replace/upgrade mine. (Feel the need 4 speed)

So I'm looking at a 2001 M3 which is a possibility or if that doesn't work out... I may just spring for a 2004 M3.

But I'd hate to let a reliable, attractive, practical 323i go. So... I'm almost back to the point of just adding a third car (sports car) to the stable. Which is probably insane from a cost standpoint (maintenance, parking, insurance)

Anyone here have 3 cars with 2 adults or worse, 1 adult?

I've done it before: 91 Talon AWD, 97 Saab 900T, 88 300E. I just found myself rarely wanting to drive the hypo Talon, so I finally let it go after 18 months of storage.

I just really hate letting go of my current car... as much as I want the next one.

Mr. The Edge
01-13-2003, 10:16 AM
we will have 3 cars and 2 adults when the MINI comes.

M3
MCS
Suburban

alee
01-13-2003, 10:18 AM
Originally posted by atyclb

M3
MCS
Suburban
You could probably park the MCS inside the Suburban. :eeps:

Mr. The Edge
01-13-2003, 10:21 AM
Originally posted by alee
You could probably park the MCS inside the Suburban. :eeps:

heck, I could park the M3 in there

:D :D

Alex Baumann
01-13-2003, 10:24 AM
moi :D

Ford Focus : Daily commute
320d : Long distance business trips
323ci : my car ;)

JPinTO
01-13-2003, 10:25 AM
Originally posted by Alex Baumann
moi :D

Ford Focus : Daily commute
320d : Long distance business trips
323ci : my car ;)

1 or 2 adults?

Alex Baumann
01-13-2003, 10:26 AM
Originally posted by JPinTO
1 or 2 adults?

only me, myself and I.

JPinTO
01-13-2003, 10:26 AM

M3
MCS
Suburban

What the H*ll are you going to do with a Mini.... run a clown business on the side? :p

JPinTO
01-13-2003, 10:27 AM
only me, myself and I.

Holy crap! And your justifications are?

Don't you find that 1 car never gets used?

I'm trying to rationalize what I'd ever do with the 323i over an M3---- why would I ever drive it? I can kind of justify using it as a winter car.

Alex Baumann
01-13-2003, 10:31 AM
Holy crap! And your justifications are?

Don't you find that 1 car never gets used?

I'm trying to rationalize what I'd ever do with the 323i over an M3---- why would I ever drive it? I can kind of justify using it as a winter car.

I always find the opportunity to drive one. Well, actually, the Focus and the Coupe are going back in March and May 03 (both leased).

I've leased the diesel two months ago for 36 months.

I'm getting the Alpina in May. So, back to two cars again.

Pinecone
01-13-2003, 10:35 AM
3 cars for two people makes a lot of sense. That way if one car is in the shop, you don't have to worry about getting a loaner. Plus you can haveone very nice, fun car, that you would not drive daily to work.

At one point we had 7 cars with two people. :)

2002 M3
2000 M Roadster
2001 Grand Cherokee

These are our "normal" use cars. We also still had

1990 Cherokee (349,000 miles, bought it new)
1987 Dodge Shadow ES Turbo (former company car, now gone)
1985 Dodge Daytona Turbo Z (VERY modified, have to do something with this, either start driving or sell)
1976 Toyota Corolla SR-5 (also muhc modified, this will be parted out to built a Locost 7)

So we have never normally have more than 3 drivers around.

JPinTO
01-13-2003, 10:36 AM
I always find the opportunity to drive one. Well, actually, the Focus and the Coupe are going back in March and May 03 (both leased).

I've leased the diesel two months ago for 36 months.

I'm getting the Alpina in May. So, back to two cars again.

2 cars I see easily justifiable... even for 1 person. But 3... um... I can't even pretend to be able to justify it.

My wife thinks I'm nutz.

ezsce46
01-13-2003, 10:39 AM
In LA its mandatory to have at least (2) cars per one adult.

(89) V6 Camry--170K miles (beater)
(97) Infiniti J30-- 56K miles (Daily driver)
(01) 330CI--20K miles (Weekend fun car) :D

elfhearse
01-13-2003, 10:52 AM
I don't think it's too unusual but depends on your priorities and passions.
Me:
99 Z3 2.8 Coupe (daily mule)
00 M Coupe (stress release)
Wife:
03 SVT Cobra
Dogs:
97 Ford Exp. Sport 5-speed (no kids may also be advantageous)

Then there is the occasional great used car deal that comes along on an unusual/rare car where I wish I had a barn in the back-yard to store the fifth or sixth one.
State Farm loves us..
:p

MikeW
01-13-2003, 11:04 AM
JP,

It sounds the the 323 is paid for (you didn't mention lease/loan payments in your list of expenses).

Given that, the fairly substantial amount you'd get for the 323 would go a long way to defraying the purchase cost of the M3.

Also, the M3 isn't a toy car, like most sports cars. It can haul four people and/or a useful amount of stuff. That fact argues against keeping the 323. The only benefit of keeping the older E46 would be, what, fuel efficiency? I think the cost of keeping the two cars would outweigh the benefit of keeping the older car.

car_for_mom
01-13-2003, 11:11 AM
Originally posted by ezsce46
In LA its mandatory to have at least (2) cars per one adult.

(89) V6 Camry--170K miles (beater)
(97) Infiniti J30-- 56K miles (Daily driver)
(01) 330CI--20K miles (Weekend fun car) :D

True, very true! Our cars:

(1990) Honda Civic, 110,000+ miles (5th in a series of Honda Hoopties the husband buys because "$1,000 is too much to pay for a car" :rolleyes: )

(1996) Toyota Camry, 175,000+ miles. This was my daily driver until this past December. Is being kept for a 3rd car, and for the firstborn son to drive, because even though his mother loves him greatly, he ain't driving her car! :D

(2003) My new car: BMW 325i, 'Karl Bimmer', almost 2,500 miles! Ahhhhh!

As has been said, a 3rd car is great for when a car is in the shop, also, if friends need a car, it's nice to be able to loan one out - Friends have bailed us out on more than one occasion by loaning us their car!

vexed
01-13-2003, 11:12 AM
Count us in:

2002 330 ci
2002 Ford Exploder (family hauler)
1999 Mazda B-3000 SE--for going to the beach, dump etc.

When I was single I always had a car and the pickup.

PhilH
01-13-2003, 11:12 AM
No need for you to drive a four door to haul the family?

I've always wanted to have a third car like my brother, who's always had a '66 Mustang fastback hot rod along with his daily driver.

However, another car is double the depreciation, double the maintenance and double the insurance. I'm going to have to seriously want that third car in order for me to pay for it, and it would have to be totally different from either of the other two cars for it to make sense to me (like a track car).

·clyde·
01-13-2003, 11:13 AM
All of the considerations depend on your own situation. Parking can be a big issue for some, but it's pretty easy to tell if you have the room or not. Since one car in a 2 driver 3 car household usually puts on very few miles, it's generally pretty cheap to insure if you designate one as recreational use only (which probably entails an annual mileage limit). Also, since that one car doesn't rack up the miles, maintence costs should be much reduced. If you want to keep one car as a "winter" car and won't use it at all in the warmer months, your state/province may allow you to keep it registered without insurance for periods of time so long as it doesn't touch the street.

JPinTO
01-13-2003, 11:14 AM
Originally posted by MikeW
Also, the M3 isn't a toy car, like most sports cars. It can haul four people and/or a useful amount of stuff. That fact argues against keeping the 323. The only benefit of keeping the older E46 would be, what, fuel efficiency? I think the cost of keeping the two cars would outweigh the benefit of keeping the older car.

You are sounding just like my wife :p

You are correct... there really is no benefit other than fuel economy (maybe a factor if gas prices go crazy) I kind of shudder to think about have 2 cars that get 16mpg.

Deep down I know I have little use for the 323i with an M3... just psychological resistance to letting an excellent car go.

JPinTO
01-13-2003, 11:19 AM
Originally posted by PhilH
I'm going to have to seriously want that third car in order for me to pay for it, and it would have to be totally different from either of the other two cars for it to make sense to me (like a track car).

I'd agree with that. M3 is pretty damn close to a 323i in usability and space.

I'm thinking perhaps, I should look at something really different: 350Z or Z4. But neither of those cars are nearly as appealing as an M3 (in my mind). I'm not into convertibles... too few nice days in Toronto... always too hot or cold.

The M3 is just too darn practical.

JST
01-13-2003, 11:24 AM
I'd agree with that. M3 is pretty damn close to a 323i in usability and space.

I'm thinking perhaps, I should look at something really different: 350Z or Z4. But neither of those cars are nearly as appealing as an M3 (in my mind). I'm not into convertibles... too few nice days in Toronto... always too hot or cold.

The M3 is just too darn practical.

For me, the only car I'd consider as a third (that I could potentially afford--not talking Ferraris here) is a 911.

Mr. The Edge
01-13-2003, 11:38 AM

You are correct... there really is no benefit other than fuel economy (maybe a factor if gas prices go crazy) I kind of shudder to think about have 2 cars that get 16mpg.

Deep down I know I have little use for the 323i with an M3... just psychological resistance to letting an excellent car go.

The M3's fuel economy is not that far off from other E46s to warrant keeping it for that reason.

brave1heart
01-13-2003, 11:40 AM
I think it would be a royal waste of money but if that's how you prefer to spend you money and it makes you happy, go for it. You don't have to be rational and rationalize it if you can afford it and putting your money into investments, real estate, or whatever doesn't offer quite the same thrill as a ride in an M3 :D

johnlew
01-13-2003, 11:42 AM
I had five cars. His summer, his winter, hers, the classic and the convertible. We're down to two. His summer, winter and convertible is now the 330. Hers is hers and the classic is gone. Someday, hope to pick up another classic. But, it is nice having two cars in a three car garage!

IMO, if you want the M, lose the 323.

JPinTO
01-13-2003, 11:46 AM
Originally posted by brave1heart
I think it would be a royal waste of money but if that's how you prefer to spend you money and it makes you happy, go for it. You don't have to be rational and rationalize it if you can afford it and putting your money into investments, real estate, or whatever doesn't offer quite the same thrill as a ride in an M3 :D

Usually I'm quite rational... except for cars! I'm kookoo for cars! Gotta love the women who put up with us! :D

TD330ci
01-13-2003, 11:47 AM
Originally posted by elfhearse
I don't think it's too unusual but depends on your priorities and passions.
Wife:
03 SVT Cobra

OHHHHHHHHHHH!! :thumbup:

Is that the 390 horse 6 spd version? Comments???

Don't want to thread jack, but the old muscle car guy in me wants to really test drive one of these!! :D

JPinTO
01-13-2003, 11:48 AM
The M3's fuel economy is not that far off from other E46s to warrant keeping it for that reason.

I guess you don't HAVE to punch it all the time. Who am I kidding... I punch it all the time.

mbr129
01-13-2003, 11:59 AM
I can understand the sentiment....

To me the question comes down to this: Is your 323 too much of an asset to you to keep as a "car I drive when I need to go on long trips"? or Conversely, is adding an M3 too much for a car that I will use as my weekend/cool car? It's a matter of money to me.

If you care to read...

I currently drive a 1990 190E 2.6 (see below) and plan on getting a 330i or 330Ci by year's end. I am getting married next year and so I am definitely keeping my Benz as an extra car (she had to let go of her new beetle when she started law school).

I plan on keeping the Benz until something serious goes wrong or we have kids, whichever happens first, at which point we will buy a wagon (A4/V70). But if my Benz is still running strong (especially since it wont be driven nearly as much) I may just keep it until it does die or give it to my lil' bro. Heck it cost me 10K 2.5 years ago, it's probably worth about 6K now, and by that time it maybe 2K. It will probably cost me $200 bucks a year to insure and it could be my "beat-up," but since ancient 2.6L I6 only gives me 22mpg the 330 will likely make a better commuter car.

Later in life I would like to have the equivalent of a Boxster S as a cool sporty car but that is too far in advance.
:rolleyes:

Ack
01-13-2003, 11:59 AM
For a few months I had my '97 Cavalier Z24 and my '02 330Ci. I also had my crotch rocket for weekend and after-work fun. Now I'm down to the motorcycle and the BMW. I actually considered a winter beater, but thankfully got talked out of it. During the summer time, the bike will be driven to work at least one day a week and all weekend long. This is unless I have to get groceries with the BMW.

I would agree with most on the board and say if you got the M3, sell the 323. This is unless you plan on using the 323 as your daily driver and the M3 as the weekend car.

bluer1
01-13-2003, 12:04 PM
5 vehicles and I live alone.
(3er, truck, & 3 bikes)

It's really fun on weekends when the bike I'm looking to ride is
in the front of the garage, (single lane driveway).

JST
01-13-2003, 12:04 PM
For about two months, I had an E46 323Ci and the M3 that I've got now. The 323 was coming to the end of its lease, and I told myself that I would use it as a daily driver while I had it to avoid putting miles on the M3.

Yeah, right.

I drove it to work maybe once or twice a week, and then only when I was carrying my bike. I enjoyed the M3 too much to leave it parked, and always came up with excuses for driving it. The same thing happened when we replaced our craptacular Nissan Sentra with a new GTI. I told myself I'd drive it to work, but I didn't.

If you've got a car that you love to drive, why drive one that you don't? It's just a car. It's made to be driven. I suspect that if you get the M3, you'll find yourself never driving the 323; in fact, one of the main reasons that I haven't gotten a 911 as a third car is that I fear it would rapidly become my only car.

Serial monogamy. That's the way to go in cars.

JPinTO
01-13-2003, 12:05 PM
Originally posted by mbr129
I can understand the sentiment....

To me the question coems down to this: Is you 323 too much of an asset to you to keep as a "car I drive when I need to go on long trips"? or Conversely, is adding an M3 too much for a car that I will use as my weekend/cool car? It's a matter of money to me.

If you care to read...

I currently drive a 1990 190E 2.6 (see below) and plan on getting a 330i or 330Ci by year's end. I am getting married next year and so I am definitely keeping my Benz as an extra car (she had to let go of her new beetle when she started law school).

I plan on keeping the Benz until something serious goes wrong or we have kids, whichever happens first, at which point we will buy a wagon (A4/V70). But if my Benz is still running strong (especially since it wont be driven nearly as much) I may just keep it until it does die or give it to my lil' bro. Heck it cost me 10K 2.5 years ago, it's probably worth about 6K now, and by that time it maybe 2K. It will probably cost me $200 bucks a year to insure and it could be my "beat-up," but since ancient 2.6L I6 only gives me 22mpg the 330 will likely make a better commuter car.

Later in life I would like to have the equivalent of a Boxster S as a cool sporty car but that is too far in advance.
:rolleyes:

Sounds like a good and prudent plan. I had a 88 300E which was in my family from new... it was a great car even with a couple hundred thousand on the odo.

JPinTO
01-13-2003, 12:10 PM
Originally posted by JST
For about two months, I had an E46 323Ci and the M3 that I've got now. The 323 was coming to the end of its lease, and I told myself that I would use it as a daily driver while I had it to avoid putting miles on the M3.

Yeah, right.

I drove it to work maybe once or twice a week, and then only when I was carrying my bike. I enjoyed the M3 too much to leave it parked, and always came up with excuses for driving it. The same thing happened when we replaced our craptacular Nissan Sentra with a new GTI. I told myself I'd drive it to work, but I didn't.

If you've got a car that you love to drive, why drive one that you don't? It's just a car. It's made to be driven. I suspect that if you get the M3, you'll find yourself never driving the 323; in fact, one of the main reasons that I haven't gotten a 911 as a third car is that I fear it would rapidly become my only car.

Serial monogamy. That's the way to go in cars.

This is exactly what I think will happen. I tell myself that I'll use the 323 as a "daily driver"... but why on earth would I not take an M3--- Gas mileage? Save the miles? Gimme a break. Just drive it.

Even as a "winter beater" is kind of a lame excuse. Just get snows on the M3 and you've got a "winter car". Besides on really bad days, I take the ML any way... so I don't need a winter beater.

I think the 323's days will be numbered... as much as I hate to admit it. :bawling: :buh-bye:

I hate seeing somebody getting a really good car.... worse, give up a really good car. There's no way any M3 will live up to the relability of my 323. Conversely, there is no 323 that will live up to the excitement of an M3. I guess you can't have it both ways.

D@mn you BMW for making such a solid vehicle... why can't they be like Saab's where you can't wait to get rid of them! :)

JPinTO
01-13-2003, 12:18 PM
Ooooh... just thought of a great justification to keep it:::

I'll save if for my son when he gets old enough to drive (only 15.5 more years!) :lmao: Okeeey dokeyy.

johnlew
01-13-2003, 12:27 PM
Ooooh... just thought of a great justification to keep it:::

I'll save if for my son when he gets old enough to drive (only 15.5 more years!) :lmao: Okeeey dokeyy.

I'm thinking of doing that with my unsellable 98 Olds. Only 3 years. I have a garage to store it in. :dunno:

pdz
01-13-2003, 12:27 PM
one is about to go........dunno which.

but three cars is a headache. it IS convenient for the 2-3 days out of the year when one is in the shop. but is it really worth it?

i think not.

had i a hardtop 993, i would definitely only have two cars. but as it is......'am semi-speculating/hoping for the car to hold its value (last of the aircooled plus cabriolet plus looooow miles)....and the WRX is pure heaven for me.

am thinking to lose the 993 and WRX for a WRX STi.

makes more sense for insurance, parking logistics and so forth. difference is, all three are paid for, so they are not an OBVIOUS money drain. just kind of as they depreciate and are not assets (well, maybe one of them might be an asset, but we'll see come springtime).

JST
01-13-2003, 12:51 PM
Originally posted by johnlew
I'm thinking of doing that with my unsellable 98 Olds. Only 3 years. I have a garage to store it in. :dunno:

Oh, man. You're going to subject your 13 y.o. son to 3 years of knowing that he's in store for an Oldsmobuick? What horrible thing did he do to warrant such torture?

pdz
01-13-2003, 01:11 PM
cars such as oldsmobiles are terrific to hold onto because they are inexpensive and mostly run for the duration if taken care of and often. however, they are worth nothing and falling. 'found this out whilst trying to unload 02 bravada.

basically new vehicle. worth? not much. very difficult time unloading it, even on the dealer for trade-in. but it went off to auction (from trade-in) and am sure they made some money.

but: great car to give to a relative or to a charity because you know it's reliable.

AF
01-13-2003, 01:12 PM
I went through a similiar situation as you (JP) .. .. should I get the 3rd car ? ?

I wanted a stick shift convertible so instead if trading in my then current 2001 330Ci, I decided to get a 3rd car . . . it was a fun 98 low miles Eclipse turbo convertible with a 5 speed.

At first it was a lot of fun and a felt like a great accomplishment. Each car was paid for so it didn't increase my motnhyl expenses and the only additional expense was the Insurance (big whoop . . . $1100 approx)

I started to notice I NEVER used my 330Ci and it was getting to the point where I would worry about the eclipse needing a new clutch or turbo or whatever it was . . . then I would get into the 330 and be amazed by how much I loved driving it and how incredibly tight it was and the great sense of security knowing I had a nice full warranty on ANYTHING that went wrong iith it. . . .

So now, I got rid of both the 330Ci and the Eclispe and have one 330i . . . the peace of mind to me is better this way . . . maybe when my house is paid off and my kids are off to college, I'll get a 3rd car again . . .

JPinTO
01-13-2003, 02:21 PM
Well, the lead on the 2001 M3 just went sour. The Service history report came back and it was involved in an accident repair.

No thank you. So, are the 2004 M3's coming out in April? Will they be face-lifted?

pdz
01-13-2003, 02:30 PM
that "used" m3 and its service history? that is just cosmic fate talking to you......hang on to the 323 indefinitely, plan life around keeping it as a constant and then find another one......

.......you're going to get pummeled on the 323 value because it is a 323 and fact is, they don't sell those anymore and it is a RWD car in oh-canada. so, you would have to wait post-winter anyway...and then it would be yet another 5 months depreciation because the NEW facelifted styles will come out......

...at this rate, just keep the car and find a bargain M.

heymohn
01-13-2003, 02:34 PM
Here's my 2 cents:

My husband & I had 6 cars at once (two not running - project cars). We usually have a least 3 cars. Unfortunately, we're down to two right now. Key words: RIGHT NOW. After our move, we will be looking into getting a 3rd car - a fun sports car (possibilities are M3, Lotus Esprit, Maserati)! I don't see anything wrong having more than 2 cars in a 2 person household.

Life's short, play hard!;)

The HACK
01-13-2003, 02:35 PM
Originally posted by pdz
...snip.......you're going to get pummeled on the 323 value because it is a 323 and fact is, they don't sell those anymore and it is a RWD car in oh-canada. so, you would have to wait post-winter anyway...and then it would be yet another 5 months depreciation because the NEW facelifted styles will come out......

...at this rate, just keep the car and find a bargain M.

They don't make the 328's anymore for about the same amount of time, and they seem to be holding their value pretty well...

Last I checked, a '00 328Ci with decent mileage can still fetch about $25,000.

Heck, they stopped making E36es 5 years ago and THEY are still fetching very good prices...A E36 328i can easily fetch ~$18,000 if they're in excellent condition.

Facelifts and change in engine displacement certainly hasn't significantly impacted used BMW prices.

AF
01-13-2003, 02:41 PM
Originally posted by heymohn

Life's short, play hard!;)

I agree with this last line though the priority has got to be on affordability as well. SAome people play too hard and end up with a pile debt so high they can't see clear . . . I've always been one to buy only what I could comfortably afford and if at one time that meant getting a honda over an Acura, so then be it . . . I am sure you agree !!

heymohn
01-13-2003, 02:43 PM
yes! I absolutely agree. If you can swing it then go for it:thumbup:

MikeW
01-13-2003, 02:58 PM

While the 323 is okay with gas, especially compared to a SUV and M3, it is far from the last word in fuel efficiency. If you want a mileage beater, sell they 323, pocket half the money, and buy a well depreciated Honda Civic with the rest. This will give you a backup/sacrificial car. Also, if you have snow problems is your area (you do get snow up in Canada, right?) the honda, especially with snows, would probably do pretty well, compared to an M3 with Pilot sports :D

DINANISR3
01-13-2003, 03:38 PM
just go for it.. i have a 00' benz C230K daily driver.. and an 01' S54 M Roadster.. i cant drive the bmw everyday.. seems like everytime i take it out.. i need to fill up the gas.. i get like 150-180 miles on a full tank.. even though the car is rated at a higher mpg.. i think you only get that if you keep the rpm under 3000... but if you do that.. you still got about 5000 rpm to play with.. and plus.. i cant justify putting on so many miles on the bmw.. had it about a year.. and have about 7000 miles on it.. the benz about 2 years.. and its at 42,000 miles.. so i need two cars..

pdz
01-13-2003, 04:38 PM
Originally posted by The HACK
They don't make the 328's anymore for about the same amount of time, and they seem to be holding their value pretty well...

Last I checked, a '00 328Ci with decent mileage can still fetch about $25,000.

Heck, they stopped making E36es 5 years ago and THEY are still fetching very good prices...A E36 328i can easily fetch ~$18,000 if they're in excellent condition.

Facelifts and change in engine displacement certainly hasn't significantly impacted used BMW prices.

HACK-er:

those are pertinent facts, however, do keep in mind that for the first generation e46, the 328 was the upper model, and similarly, for the e36, for a long time, the 325 was top dog.

would be more interested to see how 323's hold up over the next year for trade-in and 'real world" values. my gut feeling is "okay", but with the overall market quite soft (used car market) plus the 323's being deemed by dealers and used car shoppers as odd dogs.....i would wait and let the market show up how well this car will hold up.

ObD
01-13-2003, 05:23 PM
The 323 can be your winter "beater". ;)

TD
01-13-2003, 05:24 PM
It's funny how good people are at spending other people's money for them.

Plaz
01-13-2003, 05:25 PM
Originally posted by TD

Living in the DC area, that should come as little surprise. :D

DINANISR3
01-13-2003, 05:32 PM
Originally posted by TD

if its a consideration they are thinking about .. then that means you have the money 2 play with.. if it wasnt a consideration.. i think it would only be a dream.. :bigpimp:

·clyde·
01-13-2003, 05:59 PM
Originally posted by Plaz
Living in the DC area, that should come as little surprise. :D

FWIW, I would like to offer my thanks to everyone here who pays their US Federal income taxes. My family appreciates it! :thumbup: :D

johnlew
01-13-2003, 05:59 PM
Originally posted by Clyde@work
FWIW, I would like to offer my thanks to everyone here who pays their US Federal income taxes. My family appreciates it! :thumbup: :D

You are welcome. I deserve extra thanks.

·clyde·
01-13-2003, 06:01 PM
You are welcome. I deserve extra thanks.

An extra thanks to you, then, John. :bigpimp:

johnlew
01-13-2003, 06:01 PM
An extra thanks to you, then, John. :bigpimp:

Any gifts?

Mr. The Edge
01-13-2003, 06:04 PM
Well, the lead on the 2001 M3 just went sour. The Service history report came back and it was involved in an accident repair.

No thank you. So, are the 2004 M3's coming out in April? Will they be face-lifted?

No info out yet on when the '04s come out--but it seems not until Sept.. It appears that in March, all that will change on the M3 is the rear LEDs.

JPinTO
01-13-2003, 06:06 PM
Originally posted by MikeW
While the 323 is okay with gas, especially compared to a SUV and M3, it is far from the last word in fuel efficiency. If you want a mileage beater, sell they 323, pocket half the money, and buy a well depreciated Honda Civic with the rest. This will give you a backup/sacrificial car. Also, if you have snow problems is your area (you do get snow up in Canada, right?) the honda, especially with snows, would probably do pretty well, compared to an M3 with Pilot sports :D

I didn't say that fuel economy was the only factor... I'm not driving a Civic or echo to achieve fuel economy nirvana.

Snow in Canada?!? We get the odd flake or two... still running summer tires on my 323i. Then again, this is a big country. :D

·clyde·
01-13-2003, 06:11 PM
Any gifts?

I'd fill out a requisition form requesting a gift for you, but my last requisition request (for which I used my final requisition form) has not been filled for over three months. Yes, I requested more requisition forms.

pdz
01-13-2003, 06:31 PM
JPinTO:

you just fixated on BMWs or what's the deal here, bub?

all manner of fun cars to buy these days if you have the urge to spend money. at every pricepoint, too.

it is a ton of fun. the upside of the down economy is that car salespeople (overall) are pretty receptive, at the p-car dealer in particular, to wheeling and dealing. i almost never recall hearing about people getting a lot of money off of MSRP from 911s but that is common practice now.

just a telling factoid to support the sentiment that you SHOULD get a sports car.

Dr. Phil
01-13-2003, 06:52 PM
Bum :flipoff:

Oh but thanks to Mike, Alee and all other PA contributors :bigpimp: :angel:

Bruce
01-13-2003, 07:53 PM
COming a bit late to the thread....

My wife and I have:
Lexus IS300- her commuter car
95 M3- my commuter car
89 M3- my track car

OBS3SSION
01-14-2003, 06:22 AM
I must be an oddity here. My wife and I have only the one car. My Passat will be traded in 3 weeks from now for the 330i. She's licensed, but hates driving and refuses to do so. So... I get a nicer car, and just have to drive her around. :thumbup:

...and we have a 4-car garage! :lmao: (2 wide, double deep)

One of these days I'll get a "toy" car. Something like a Miatta, Cabrio or Golf. Maybe even an old 944 Turbo or something. I also wouldn't mind a bike if my wife and mother would let me. Of course, my dad getting broad-sided on his Goldwing doesn't help my argument.

Artslinger
01-14-2003, 06:40 AM
I'd love to a third car, like a 60-70s era muscle car. Living in the city its pretty much impossible financially, heck I pay 120 bucks a month to park my car, and my wife's car sits out on the street at the mercy of bad parallel parking.

brave1heart
01-14-2003, 08:44 AM
Originally posted by Artslinger
I'd love to a third car, like a 60-70s era muscle car. Living in the city its pretty much impossible financially, heck I pay 120 bucks a month to park my car, and my wife's car sits out on the street at the mercy of bad parallel parking.

You're lucky! The rate at our apartment building in Boston was $350 and there was a 3-4 month waiting list, at least a couple of years ago when I last looked into it. So we were keeping a brand new 325i and a brand new A4 parked on the street.

Guest84
01-14-2003, 08:50 AM
But, it is nice having two cars in a three car garage!

Our 3rd auto sits outside on a side road of our house, my truck. Its used for rotten weather days for commute, yardwork, and things of that nature.

My 3rd stall is actually my workshop with the lawn tractor having a stall all of its own. :) Spoiled rotten lawn tractor. :)

Artslinger
01-14-2003, 10:56 AM
Originally posted by brave1heart
You're lucky! The rate at our apartment building in Boston was $350 and there was a 3-4 month waiting list, at least a couple of years ago when I last looked into it. So we were keeping a brand new 325i and a brand new A4 parked on the street.

Wow $350 a month... definitely one of the disadvantages about living in the city where parking is at a premium. I guess I shouldn't complain to much, the garage is heated.

pdz
01-14-2003, 10:58 AM
yep.

should see how much deeded parking spots go for in the back bay where you constantly see people double and triple-parking for a loooooong time when they get home from work.

city living. blech.

rather commute and travel in a moving parking lot, myself.

JP!!!! what else would you get other than M3s?

F150BOB
01-14-2003, 01:13 PM
For what it's worth,

97 F150 4X4 for my wifes short commute to work and for hauling stuff.

01 Toyota Prius for my commute. Great gas mileage, super ultra low emissions, and really just a "neat" car.

01 330 CiC just for fun.

I need all three to do all of the things I need and want to do with a vehicle. The daily drivers are great vehicles in their own way, but they ain't nothing like the 330.:thumbup:

JPinTO
01-14-2003, 03:09 PM
Originally posted by pdz
yep.
JP!!!! what else would you get other than M3s?

I'm back to square one...

S4 Wagon (maybe sedan)

M3 V8... if I'm paying full pop for a new one, it better be right (engine-wise).

330CI 6-spd

G35C / 350Z

pdz
01-14-2003, 03:25 PM
I'm back to square one...

S4 Wagon (maybe sedan)

M3 V8... if I'm paying full pop for a new one, it better be right (engine-wise).

330CI 6-spd

G35C / 350Z

with the extended warranty on the E46M3 engines (what is it again? 6/100k miles?), i would tend to not worry so much about the purchase of a "used" m3, if the bodywork is fine and never been bent back into shape. that said, while i can appreciate the car for what it is, i.e. a high rpm screamer, i would prefer more torque and this is addressable by displacement.

something like a dry sump 3.6 - 3.8 litre six cylinder engine.......why does that concept sound familiar?????