PDA

View Full Version : Headlight illumination quality question

simplemind
02-22-2007, 05:46 PM
I'm not exactly sure how to ask this, but here goes: I had standard xenon's on my '03 325, and I thought the quality of illumination was excellent. The light pattern was wide with a clear line of demarcation at the top.
My 530 adaptive lights don't seem to have the same uniform quality of light. It seems more like two distinct light patterns that don't converge uniformly. Yes, it's cool that they turn in the curves, but in straight ahead driving, I don't think they are as good as my '03 xenon's.
Anyone else notice what I think I am seeing? :eek:

mapezzul
02-22-2007, 08:08 PM
I'm not exactly sure how to ask this, but here goes: I had standard xenon's on my '03 325, and I thought the quality of illumination was excellent. The light pattern was wide with a clear line of demarcation at the top.
My 530 adaptive lights don't seem to have the same uniform quality of light. It seems more like two distinct light patterns that don't converge uniformly. Yes, it's cool that they turn in the curves, but in straight ahead driving, I don't think they are as good as my '03 xenon's.
Anyone else notice what I think I am seeing? :eek:

There has been some discussion on this with the E90 and it seems that BMW pointed the lights down about a 1/4 turn or so on the adjuster screw. Also you will not see the same "cutoff" pattern with bi-xenon adaptives, it is not possible because there is not a hard line at the top of the lens or projector. There is one bulb used for the high and low beams with a moveable flap that covers the lens for the low beam adjustment. Even the new Audis do not have the cutoff, where the original had an insane cutoff. Just a function of feathering the light out and the lack of a hard edge. I did adjust my E90 lights a bit but made sure they were not too high to blind people.

Hope that helps and best of luck!:thumbup:

simplemind
02-23-2007, 08:32 AM
Ouch, that's not what I wanted to hear, but it does confirm my suspicions. :tsk:

Curious, what did it take to do the adjustment?

hmc
02-24-2007, 08:54 PM
My E60 has uniform quality of light.

See: http://forums.e60.net/index.php?showtopic=37204 for adjustments