PDA

View Full Version : 17 inch vs 18 inch tires

kataraika
02-22-2007, 06:07 PM
I'm getting ready to pull the trigger on a 2007 x3. I'm not getting the sport package because I prefer the more comfortable ride of the non-sport suspension. However, I prefer the look of the 18 inch tires over the 17 inch tires. I'm wondering whether the 18 inch tires will have a significant impact on the comfort/stiffness of the ride or on the handling of the vehicle (due to the slightly higher center of gravity). I realize the 19 inch performance tires will result in a stiffer ride but better handling, but I'm not sure whether the 18 inch all weather tires also will impact the ride and handling. So, what do you think? Will the 18 inch all weather tires result in a stiffer ride than the 17 inch all weather tires? Will the 18 inch all weather tires result in poorer handlign than the 17 inch all weather tires? Many thanks for any help you could give me.

AzNMpower32
02-22-2007, 06:55 PM
Go for the 18"s. Without the sport suspension, the 18s have a firm but acceptable ride for most non-Lexus drivers. Plus, they look a lot better. Quite a few members of this board have the 18" stand-alone wheels/tires, they should respond shortly.

732002tii
02-22-2007, 07:50 PM
We just ordered our X3 today and opted for the 18" wheels over the 17's. We drove every combination except sort with 19" wheels and felt like the best compromise was the non-sport with 18" wheels. Plus my wife likes the appearance of the X3 with the 18's versus the 17" wheels along with the wheel design. Since it's her car, I left it up to her. As described above, the ride is a smooth firm and not harsh over uneven pavement or pot holed roads.

Best of luck with your decision.

z51vette
02-22-2007, 08:18 PM
I'm getting ready to pull the trigger on a 2007 x3. I'm not getting the sport package because I prefer the more comfortable ride of the non-sport suspension. However, I prefer the look of the 18 inch tires over the 17 inch tires. I'm wondering whether the 18 inch tires will have a significant impact on the comfort/stiffness of the ride or on the handling of the vehicle (due to the slightly higher center of gravity). I realize the 19 inch performance tires will result in a stiffer ride but better handling, but I'm not sure whether the 18 inch all weather tires also will impact the ride and handling. So, what do you think? Will the 18 inch all weather tires result in a stiffer ride than the 17 inch all weather tires? Will the 18 inch all weather tires result in poorer handlign than the 17 inch all weather tires? Many thanks for any help you could give me.

The center of gravity is not higher. All the sizes from 17" to 19" have the same outside diameter tires. The only difference is the sidewalls of the 18's and 19's are lower profile than the 17's. I have an 07 Sport pack with 18's and drove a non sport with 17's recently. I find no comfort difference in the sport pack vs. non sport pack. The main reason is due to tires. The Michelin Pilot HX MXM4 grand touring car tires that came on my car have much softer and more compliant sidewalls than the 17" Pirelli Scorpion STR truck tires that came on the non sport 07 I test drove at the dealership. If most of your driving is going to be under 100 Mph you can reduce the tire pressure to 31 front 32 rear and even a sport pack equipped car will be very comfortable. I urge you to have one more look at the sport pack. Really changes the whole look and feel of the car. Driving the regular car made me feel like I was in a much cheaper vehicle. The seats and the steering wheel look and feel much better in the sport pack. The ECU has performance programming and my sport pac felt much quicker than the non sport pack I drove. The sport pack wheels look much nicer than the optional 18" wheels that come on the non sport. Also the sport pack looks much better on the outside. The side skirts, rear apron and monotone paint treatment really make a whole world of difference. Think again before making a decision. Before test driving a sport pack at the dealership note the tire pressure and the make of the tires.

disden
02-22-2007, 08:49 PM
if possible drive them both and compare . we got the upgraded 18's on my wifes new X3 because they look fantastic; however I do admit that ride quality does suffer alittle on the rougher roads; however you would never notice on nice even paved surfaces. I personally like the ride, but my wife isn't a big fan.

UncleJ
02-22-2007, 11:20 PM
I have an '06 non sport with the 18" option. I have driven both the sport and non sport version and found the sport to be too stiff, indeed almost painful, on washboard roads. The non sport 17" was no different than mine in the X3 I drove. For my driving I found slight difference in handling between the sport and non sport -- just the level of ride comfort or lack thereof. Note I said "for my driving" I am sure others will have their own opinions about that. The poster who suggested tire pressure and brand will have a great effect on the comfort and performance is right on IMHO. Drive several for extended periods over difficult pavement before you make your decision. You will be living with it for a long time.

kataraika
02-23-2007, 06:38 AM
Thank you all very much. It looks like I have some more test driving to do. My dealer at present only has one x3 (non sport, 17 inch) available, so I'm going to have to wait for some more to come in. I'll keep you posted.

Sonoman707
02-23-2007, 08:23 AM
I went with the 17s not so much because of the ride as opposed to the durability. My 330Ci I traded had 18s.

Never hit a pothole hard or curb - but somehow managed to warp/bend one the of the rims. It obviously doesn't take a lot for that to happen.

stangmatt66
02-23-2007, 08:56 AM
I went with the 17"s. Here's why:

1. I liked the way the X3 rides with them and wanted a softer ride for my next car. My current RX-8 with sport suspension and 18"s is incredibly rough, but fantastic when the road gets twisty. The X3 still handles great with the 17"s.

2. After replacing the tires on my RX-8 I've found 18" tires are expensive.

3. I like the chunky 5-spoke design on the 17"s compared to the multi-spoke look of the optional 18"s. Trucks (ok, SAV's) should have more "butch" wheels.

4. If you're leasing, like me, don't waste the extra money on 18"s.

dbtheo
02-23-2007, 09:16 AM
4. If you're leasing, like me, don't waste the extra money on 18"s.

considering the upgrade to 18's is only $800, residualized they are a bargain. If anything BECAUSE you are leasing, I say go for them. They look better, and in most circumstances the ride quality should be more than fine.

LmtdSlip
02-23-2007, 09:33 AM
Go with the smaller wheels if you will be doing any offroading.