PDA

View Full Version : Rain X decreases automatic rain sensor sensitivity?

Crikey!
02-23-2007, 09:20 AM
Picked up my car (530xi) last week during the snowstorm here...it started snowing right after I picked it up and I was glad it did as I could not wait to test the 'weather immunity' of the 'xi'...Whoa!...The handling was solid even when the expressway had over an inch or two of accumulation (you still need to be cautious, because the laws of physics cannot be overcome). The car is a beauty and as promised it makes weather a non-factor in the drive. Waiting for the 1000 mile break-in to push it harder! :thumbup:

BTW, I have a question about the Rain X windshield wiper fluid...has anybody used it and does anybody have any problems like decreased sensitivity of the automatic rain sensor because Rain X applies a water repellant coating on the windshield? Also, does it affect the quality of the HUD due to increase in the reflection factor of the windshield after using Rain X?

Any info is appreciated.

Me530
02-23-2007, 10:40 AM
I'd say just be careful to avoid applying the rain-x to the sensor. Don't think it would affect anything else, although it has once or twice melted my wipers on a few other cars for some odd reason.

Rubber Ducky
02-23-2007, 02:45 PM
Have used Rain-X for years (big safety factor) and have not noticed any decrease in wiper sensitivity on my 4 cars that have had auto wipers. Urban myth.

ExGMan
02-24-2007, 10:39 AM
I've been using the Rain-X windshield washer fluid (orange...cold weather formula) all winter in my 530xi. No effect on auto-sensing, still plenty of water beading on the windshield.:thumbup: