PDA

View Full Version : 07 525xi oil sensor replacement...good service

schnell525
02-23-2007, 02:35 PM
Hi,

My dealer replaced the oil sensor this morning in my 525xi. They replaced the sensor after it displayed a low oil message shortly after I had taken delivery--the temps were in the 0's. Since warming up into the 20's, no low oil messages have appeared.

They drained and replaced the oil w/synthetic 5W-30. I had an 07 X3 with about 1000 miles as a loaner. The SA did a nice job, and the car was returned washed and vacuumed. Good job BMW.

BMW thinks that the sensor is sending bad info from condinsation/ice that builds in cold temps on it.

Otherwise, very happy with the car and service.:)

simplemind
02-23-2007, 06:18 PM
I had exactly the same occurrence. In fact we were sitting in front of the dealership, going over the new car instructions when the low oil warning came on! CA was a little embarrassed, :eek: but jumped on it. No part in stock, so took one out of another car, so I could be on my way. :thumbup:
There must be a rash of bad sensors out there! :task:

schnell525
02-24-2007, 10:07 AM
I was a bit disappointed at first..., but the dealer got on it right away. They suspect a batch of bad sensors. My car was built in December, and I took delivery Jan 23rd. A few days later we had a very cold snap and tons of snow. The service guy said it would take about 6 days to get in...turned into 3 weeks. When the message appeared for low oil, I took it up to the dealer and they added a quart. Without a dipstick, there's no way to tell unless you drain the oil and measure. I wasn't too pleased with that, but they said if there's a problem with the car, BMW will take care of it.

We'll see what happens. I wish you good luck with your car sir.

Love this BMW more and more.

vern
02-24-2007, 03:13 PM
Hi,

My dealer replaced the oil sensor this morning in my 525xi. They replaced the sensor after it displayed a low oil message shortly after I had taken delivery--the temps were in the 0's. Since warming up into the 20's, no low oil messages have appeared.

They drained and replaced the oil w/synthetic 5W-30. I had an 07 X3 with about 1000 miles as a loaner. The SA did a nice job, and the car was returned washed and vacuumed. Good job BMW.

BMW thinks that the sensor is sending bad info from condinsation/ice that builds in cold temps on it.

Otherwise, very happy with the car and service.:)
Name the dealer that is so good!!!!!!
cheers
vern

vern
02-24-2007, 03:15 PM
I was a bit disappointed at first..., but the dealer got on it right away. They suspect a batch of bad sensors. My car was built in December, and I took delivery Jan 23rd. A few days later we had a very cold snap and tons of snow. The service guy said it would take about 6 days to get in...turned into 3 weeks. When the message appeared for low oil, I took it up to the dealer and they added a quart. Without a dipstick, there's no way to tell unless you drain the oil and measure. I wasn't too pleased with that, but they said if there's a problem with the car, BMW will take care of it.

We'll see what happens. I wish you good luck with your car sir.

Love this BMW more and more.
Name the dealer that is so good.
cheers
vern

Fukukita
02-24-2007, 05:24 PM
I routinely check my oil level once a week as I find it very disconcerting on relying on a piece of electronics :thumbdwn: instead of the try and true dip stick. After changing my oil at 2200 miles, the oil level never dropped (according to the oil sensor!) after 4,400 miles. I thought I was blessed and had broken-in the engine perfectly such that it was going to burn very little oil :) . A few days after checking the oil, I am driving into Costco's parking lot and the i-drive informs me that the engine is short of oil and to add a quart as soon as possible, which was verify by the oil sensor indicator. After reading of oil sensor failures from others on this forum, I made an appointment with my local BMW dealership to rectify the condition as well as few other minor issues. Service manager informs me that BMW now feels that the problem is not a defective oil sensor, but a software issue and recalibrated my oil sensor. If, instead, it is a hardware issue, I'll update this issue on this form.