PDA

View Full Version : Interesting feature on the new Rolls...

nate
01-13-2003, 07:17 PM
Pop out umbrellas in the doors...

http://www.imakenews.com/autospies/word_images/2959944_image044.jpg

:thumbup:

Mathew
01-13-2003, 07:19 PM
yah, i had seen that on ABC news. Pretty cool

I couldnt remember if it was the Rolls or the Bentley, now i know

nate
01-13-2003, 07:21 PM
Originally posted by Mathew
yah, i had seen that on ABC news. Pretty cool

I couldnt remember if it was the Rolls or the Bentley, now i know

next generation I-drive is supposed to be much better...

http://www.imakenews.com/autospies/word_images/2959944_image023.jpg

Jetfire
01-13-2003, 07:21 PM
Nice touch...but how are you supposed to sit there, close the umbrella, and twist it all back together so it'll fit in the door again? :dunno: ANd how will it dry tucked in that little cubby?

nate
01-13-2003, 07:22 PM
Originally posted by Jetfire
Nice touch...but how are you supposed to sit there, close the umbrella, and twist it all back together so it'll fit in the door again? :dunno: ANd how will it dry tucked in that little cubby?

Let the driver figure it out :dunno:

Mathew
01-13-2003, 07:25 PM

If im gonna pay $300K for that car, it better be able to figure out all those issues by itself.

TD
01-13-2003, 07:32 PM
Originally posted by nate328Ci
next generation I-drive is supposed to be much better...

It HAS to be. It would be virtually impossible for it to be worse.

nate
01-13-2003, 07:34 PM
Originally posted by TD
It HAS to be. It would be virtually impossible for it to be worse.

Have you ever even used it?

TD
01-13-2003, 07:40 PM
Originally posted by nate328Ci
Have you ever even used it?

Yes. I played with the demo I-drive set up in the dealer's showroom. I couldn't figure out squat. And (trust me on this) I'm rather technical for an old fart. I never need instructions. Yet this was the least self-explanatory interface I've ever seen.

I played with it for about 5 mintues and quit out of frustration. I certainly do not think it was a postive demo.

DrBimmer
01-13-2003, 07:49 PM
Originally posted by TD
Yes. I played with the demo I-drive set up in the dealer's showroom. I couldn't figure out squat. And (trust me on this) I'm rather technical for an old fart. I never need instructions. Yet this was the least self-explanatory interface I've ever seen.

I played with it for about 5 mintues and quit out of frustration. I certainly do not think it was a postive demo.

I drove an Li home and figured everything out within 15 minutes. It is pretty easy, I don't see how everyone can have so much trouble with it? :dunno:

bmw325
01-13-2003, 07:52 PM
Originally posted by TD

I've yet to find a I-drive demo that's actually working. :dunno:

sdwolff
01-14-2003, 06:14 AM

Rolls designed drainage in the door for the wet umbrella storage.

JST
01-14-2003, 06:58 AM
The umbrella slots into the rear door. It is meant to be extracted by the driver for the passenger's benefit, not the passenger him/herself. The umbrella is coated with Teflon to prevent moisture damage.

Jetfire
01-14-2003, 07:02 AM
Originally posted by TD

:dunno: I messed around with iDrive at last year's NAIAS and never really had a problem with it. It was somewhat cumbersome to use, but it was intuitive enough in my book.

Of course, this isn't an iDrive thread. But as long as we're off-topic, I think we need to realize that iDrive is the FIRST implementation of this kind of technology in a mass-produced car like the E65. Audi had mockups of their MIMI system at this year's NAIAS. I don't remember what that stands for, but it's basically their version of iDrive and it looks like an improvement (but none of the demos were working when we walked by them). There is still a jog dial, and it seems to move much like the BMW system, but there are also some extra switches for more direct control of certain functions. I think the system will evolve, and later iterations of iDrive -- from BMW or otherwise -- will be very practical.

Alex Baumann
01-14-2003, 07:04 AM
..... I don't remember what that stands for

Multi Media Interface

brave1heart
01-14-2003, 08:53 AM
Only the Brits can come up with pop up umbrellas in a car :tsk: It's that crazy weather over there...

ruteger
01-14-2003, 01:41 PM
I hope there is a strong retaining latch on that thing. Could be a rather painful and embarrassing experience for it to pop-out of its own accord. Well, for males, anyway.:yikes:

On second thought, I can see a rich, sadistic person having a spot of fun on occasion with their chauffer if the release was remotely controlled.