PDA

View Full Version : Accident update Pt 2

in_d_haus
01-13-2003, 07:30 PM
Ok,
Since hblair asked AND since I haven't called for a week I gave a shout to the shop. Here's the latest:

Car is still due on the 23rd.

They got it on the rack and started the pull. It needs a bit more work there. The tech got sick and has been out the last 2 days.
He'll be back in tomorrow and will finish it up.

They now feel about 70% sure they won't need to cut out and replace the rear body panel.

The exhaust, AA Gen 3, arrives tomorrow (can't wait)

The car should be in paint by the end of the week then off to the shop for exhaust fitting.

After that the dealer will inspect the mechanicals and front end.
(my request)

A 4 wheel alignment will be done and the wheels will be checked for any damage.

Anything found will be fixed then I'll pick up the car and give it a good test drive.

I'm having my dealer give me info on the new value of the car to compare it to the price I paid 4 months ago. Any substantial difference as a result of the damage will try to get refunded to me from the insurance company.

That's it for now,
Haus

SONET
01-13-2003, 07:59 PM
What a nightmare. And to think that you were even in an end spot. At least you are getting a mod out of it. heh

It sounds like your insurance company is treating you right. Mind if I ask you who you are using?

--SONET

PS Hmm I think this is my 1,000th post. :yikes:

in_d_haus
01-14-2003, 06:16 AM
Her insurance company is Safeco. After the initial blow off phase,that had me threatening a law suit and a trip to the State Insurance Commissioner they have been very helpful.

Guest84
01-14-2003, 07:17 AM
How do accidents affect the resale value, anyone know? Just curious because you can run reports nowadays off the web to see if the car you're buying has been in an accident.

Edit: never mind, saw Cliffs article on "diminishing value".

jw
01-14-2003, 07:19 AM
Originally posted by Ripsnort
How do accidents affect the resale value, anyone know? Just curious because you can run reports nowadays off the web to see if the car you're buying has been in an accident.

They lower it. It's called diminished value.

EDIT: Another good reason for a lease.

Guest84
01-14-2003, 07:29 AM
Originally posted by jw

EDIT: Another good reason for a lease.

Technically, when you lease a car, you are renting it. Personally for me, I see many more "Cons" in my case, but here are a list of Pro's and Con's of leasing. Its all based on how you intend to use your car, and for how long, etc.

http://www.leasinghelpline.com/pros_cons.htm

in_d_haus
01-14-2003, 07:36 AM
I know I won't pay top dollar for a car that hes been in an accident. Most people who buy higher end cars are very diligent about checking out a vehicle before buying it. I know I did before I bought this one.

Even though a good body shop can fix the car back to "As new" condition the valuse has been diminished.

Our state is not one of the ones where diminished value has been legislated out. I know some members of the local club that have fought and received compensation.

The question is how much is the devaluation and how much work will it be to get it..will it even be worth it.

If ya don't ask you'll never know.

RChoudry
01-14-2003, 08:08 AM
kudos to you, Haus,

You are taking this quite well.

I would have probably flipped a cog!

brave1heart
01-14-2003, 08:25 AM
Wow, that's a long time to wait for your car to come back from the shop. I'd be getting BMW withdrawals for sure...Hang in there!

in_d_haus
01-14-2003, 08:47 AM
I'm jonesin' bad guys...I do have my 525 but it's just not the same.