PDA

View Full Version : Just ordered a 535xi to replace my '99 540

BMWBluejay
02-23-2007, 09:18 PM
I can't believe I'm even saying this, because I've been waiting for so long. Last weekend I ordered a 2008 535xi: Space Grey, Black interior, sport package, prem. package, cold weather package, steptronic, comfort access, power rear shade, nav, logic7, sat. radio, HD radio, factory ipod adapter. Dealer said it should be here late April/early May. I've had my '99 540ia Sport for many years, and its been a great ride but I decided to take the plunge and move on. I resisted the E60 style for a long time, but I guess it grows on you. Also, I've been waiting for a good car that has a V8 and AWD, and I thought the 535xi was a good compromise. AWD and the twin turbo is pretty damn fast--but I will miss the sound of that V8--I don't think they can replace that.

Love this board--I never post, but felt compelled to do so this time.:)

tommydogsdad
02-23-2007, 09:21 PM
:thumbup:

exfordengineer
02-24-2007, 05:48 AM
Did you get pricing? Or just neogtiate % below sticker?

BMWBluejay
02-24-2007, 09:04 AM
Did you get pricing? Or just neogtiate % below sticker?

No pricing available yet--dealer anticipated a 2,500 to 3,000 jump over the 2007 model. No discounts on the xi model--paid sticker:( Never done that in my life either, I do think the xi will be a hot commodity (now I'm drinking my own coolaid....)

ExGMan
02-24-2007, 10:35 AM
...and I'll bet you get a little snow and ice out there on occasion. The X-drive (now connected to the DSC) should be great!:thumbup:

exfordengineer
02-24-2007, 10:47 AM
I guess us folks in the smaller cities of the midwest can't expect much neogtiating leverage vs. being in a big city with multiple dealers.

BMWBluejay
02-24-2007, 11:04 AM
...and I'll bet you get a little snow and ice out there on occasion. The X-drive (now connected to the DSC) should be great!:thumbup:

I hope so. One of the reasons I've waiting so long to replace my 540 was I was hoping for the perfect BMW--a V8 AWD 5-Series, but it never happened--probably couldn't afford it anyway. I am so tired of hauling my winter wheels/tires to the tire shop every year to get them switched around and having to drive around on those awful Blizzaks for a few months (great snow tires, bad performance tires.) I just hope the all-seasons that will come on the 535xi are good enough to keep me happy year-round--I'm actually pretty worried about that. Does anyone here have any comments on the tires that came with their 530xi? Mine will probably be the same. Thanks.

BMWBluejay
02-24-2007, 11:06 AM
I guess us folks in the smaller cities of the midwest can't expect much neogtiating leverage vs. being in a big city with multiple dealers.
Exactly. Mind if I ask what part of Iowa you're from? Iowa's my home state, my parent still live there--in Carroll.

exfordengineer
02-24-2007, 03:05 PM
Cedar Falls

Ugly Bear
02-24-2007, 05:41 PM
Did you test drove 335i to get feeling of the turbo engine? It is very different from V8 power.

M550
02-25-2007, 01:16 AM

Letter E and Letter D. You can order an ED car from a far away dealer like Irv in IL.

ghbmd
02-25-2007, 09:46 AM
No pricing available yet--dealer anticipated a 2,500 to 3,000 jump over the 2007 model. No discounts on the xi model--paid sticker:( Never done that in my life either, I do think the xi will be a hot commodity (now I'm drinking my own coolaid....)

I too recently ordered a 535xi, but was easily able to negotiate $2500 below MSRP. However, there are 5 dealers within 30 miles of me. You should still call your next 2 closest dealers. You'd only have to make the trip once to pick up the car- even if its a 3 hour drive it might be worth saving $2500. (Plus the drive home will be a lot of fun!) Your service can always be done at your local dealer. Finally, as someone mentioned, consider European Delivery. That will save you money and you can get a great trip. And you can order a car for ED from any dealer in the country.

Ugly Bear
02-25-2007, 12:39 PM
ED, imho, only saves you money when you actually want to spend vacation in Europe anyway. Then you can combine. Otherwise I fail to see how I can save money when I have to pay for airfare, hotel, food, gas, etc. Especially if more than one person is going to travel.

ghbmd
02-25-2007, 01:48 PM
Well, I guess it all depends. For the 2007 530xi, ED saved you $3480 off of MSRP (http://www.bmwusa.com/bmwexperience/EuropeanDelivery/savings.htm). Lufthansa offers 2 for 1 tickets if you do ED (http://www.bmwusa.com/bmwexperience/EuropeanDelivery/lufthansa.htm). And yes gas and hotels will cost you, but you could probably fly RT (two people) spend money on 3-5 nights of hotels and gas, and still not spend the $3480 you save off of MSRP. Then the car costs you the same thing as if you just got it at MSRP, and you got a free vacation in Europe driving your own 300hp BMW around. Sounds pretty great if you have the time. I understand it is available whether you buy or lease.

Ugly Bear
02-25-2007, 04:38 PM
Well, I guess it all depends. For the 2007 530xi, ED saved you $3480 off of MSRP

Well, I am not paying sticker and rather $3000 off MSRP, so saving of $480 is not particularly exciting, counting hotel and airfare cost. Besides, Delta lists rountrip to Frankfurt at $930 while Lufthansa is $1200. So take that 2 for 1 with a pinch of salt.

As I said - if you have never been to Europe in general and Germany in particular, never drove on autobahns, then it might be interesting to you. I have been there many times, drove on autobahn on many occasions (did you know you can rent 911 in Germany?) so spending money to drive Frankfurt - Hamburg is not something I am interested in.

Visiting other places - yes, but I'd rather take a guided tour.

Ugly Bear
02-25-2007, 04:43 PM
Or, and $3500 - $1200 flight leaves you with $2300. You need food and hotel for 2 people. Did you know, you don't normally get king size bed in European hotel? Single room really means single, you can't fit two people there. $200 / night comes at $1400 at least, leaving $900 for food and gas. Not much for a week.

And again, who pays sticker?

BMWBluejay
02-25-2007, 05:54 PM
Did you test drove 335i to get feeling of the turbo engine? It is very different from V8 power.

I did, and I agree it is different although when punched it took off very well--but will take some getting used to. Like I said, V8 AWD would be my preference, but I didn't want the Audi A6 or Volvo S80

ghbmd
02-25-2007, 07:14 PM
Well, I am not paying sticker and rather $3000 off MSRP, so saving of $480 is not particularly exciting, counting hotel and airfare cost. Besides, Delta lists rountrip to Frankfurt at $930 while Lufthansa is $1200. So take that 2 for 1 with a pinch of salt.

As I said - if you have never been to Europe in general and Germany in particular, never drove on autobahns, then it might be interesting to you. I have been there many times, drove on autobahn on many occasions (did you know you can rent 911 in Germany?) so spending money to drive Frankfurt - Hamburg is not something I am interested in.

Visiting other places - yes, but I'd rather take a guided tour.

According to the post yesterday by BMWBlueJay, HE IS paying sticker. I was referring to him and that is who I quoted in my initial post. Then you responded to my post and I thought it was him when I responded about the financial advantages of ED vs paying MSRP. I still maintain that even with paying $1200 for two RT tix, you could easily spend 3-4 days driving around Europe and stay in nice hotels that will accomodate 2 people for the remaining $2300.

Ugly Bear
02-25-2007, 09:40 PM
I did, and I agree it is different although when punched it took off very well--but will take some getting used to. Like I said, V8 AWD would be my preference, but I didn't want the Audi A6 or Volvo S80

Absolutely. And yes, when punched, turbo feels great. I took 335 on a 1 hour test drive alone and tried my typical routine. In stop'n'go and 25-40 mph drive-around I didn't like lack of torque below 1500 rpm and didn't like turbo power bumps. Stick probably is a better choice for the new engine. Steptronic does not seem to be a good match.

BMWBluejay
03-03-2007, 08:47 PM
According to the post yesterday by BMWBlueJay, HE IS paying sticker. I was referring to him and that is who I quoted in my initial post. Then you responded to my post and I thought it was him when I responded about the financial advantages of ED vs paying MSRP. I still maintain that even with paying $1200 for two RT tix, you could easily spend 3-4 days driving around Europe and stay in nice hotels that will accomodate 2 people for the remaining $2300.

THis board inspired me, so I went back to the dealer and was able to get $2,000 of MSRP--not as good as some guys got, but close enough for me to keep my order in place. My 535xi is being built this week and should be here mid-late April. :p

mullman
03-04-2007, 05:43 AM
THis board inspired me, so I went back to the dealer and was able to get $2,000 of MSRP--not as good as some guys got, but close enough for me to keep my order in place. My 535xi is being built this week and should be here mid-late April. :p

Congrats!