PDA

View Full Version : IDrive display gone, no stereo . . .

GolferEngineer
02-24-2007, 07:53 AM
:cry:
I've got an appointment to take my car in for servicing, at least the 10th time in 11 months. This time the iDrive display is gone! I went to the store came out then nothing!
I just had the software upgraded because the Service Engine Soon display was on, now this. Anyone know if they're related problems with new software? I also noted that after the software upgrade that the Aux audio input level was way too low versus before the "fix".

Any information from thise having simular problems would be very helpful. I really hope BMW can get the gremlins out of the car this time!

Even though the car is only 11 months old, I've had too many trips in for servicing. I really like the car and enjoy driving it but the monthly visits to ther service center are annoying. :yikes:

doogles
02-24-2007, 07:56 AM
I've got an appointment to take my car in for servicing, at least the 10th time in 11 months. This time the iDrive display is gone! I went to the store came out then nothing!
I just had the software upgraded because the Service Engine Soon display was on, now this. Anyone know if they're related problems with new software? I also noted that after the software upgrade that the Aux audio input level was way too low versus before the "fix".

Any information from thise having simular problems would be very helpful. I really hope BMW can get the gremlins out of the car this time!

Even though the car is only 11 months old, I've had too many trips in for servicing. I really like the car and enjoy driving it but the monthly visits to ther service center are annoying. :yikes:

This almost certainly has to be a new-software problem. I took my car in due to the engine sometimes getting bogged down at low RPMs (and not downshifting). They didn't "find the problem" but did update the software. Since then, I have experienced at least 5 different times what you describe. In my experience, turning off the car and leaving it sit for a period of time causes it to recover. Turning the car off then immediately back on does not.

My Service Adviser had not heard of this, so if you happen to get it fixed and there's a TSB or whatnot, let me know what it is so I can point my dealer at it.

Thanks,
-jd

Me530
02-24-2007, 08:02 AM

Did you try to reset iDrive?

GolferEngineer
02-24-2007, 08:22 AM
Did you try to reset iDrive?
How do I reset the iDrive

stream
02-24-2007, 09:13 AM
Try rebooting iDrive. Press mute, CD eject & DVD eject simultaneously, and hold until iDrive shuts off and reboots.

GolferEngineer
02-24-2007, 09:28 AM
This almost certainly has to be a new-software problem. I took my car in due to the engine sometimes getting bogged down at low RPMs (and not downshifting). They didn't "find the problem" but did update the software. Since then, I have experienced at least 5 different times what you describe. In my experience, turning off the car and leaving it sit for a period of time causes it to recover. Turning the car off then immediately back on does not.

My Service Adviser had not heard of this, so if you happen to get it fixed and there's a TSB or whatnot, let me know what it is so I can point my dealer at it.

Thanks,
-jd

Yep! Mine did the same thing! I left it overnight and now its back on. I called the service department and I'm going to take it in next week for servicing. I'll let you know what I find out.

GolferEngineer
02-24-2007, 09:29 AM
Try rebooting iDrive. Press mute, CD eject & DVD eject simultaneously, and hold until iDrive shuts off and reboots.

Thanks for the help. The display came back on after I let it set overnight per the posts above. I may need this "reset" in the future. Thanks!

JTRIZZO
02-25-2007, 04:46 AM
I just got my e60 back from the dealer and they updated my software to enable BT & MP3. About four days later my i-drive screen was completely blacked-out. This now has happened on three separate occassion already. I never had this problem before, so I must relate it to the new software update. I have an appointment next week, will keep you guys posted on what happens.

Rubber Ducky
02-25-2007, 04:55 AM
Same symptoms, same fix...

GolferEngineer
02-25-2007, 05:00 AM
Same symptoms, same fix...

What was the "fix"?

Rubber Ducky
02-25-2007, 05:06 AM
What was the "fix"?
1. Leave overnight. Worked twice for me.
2. Three-finger salute (CD eject, DVD eject, volume). Only tried this once, but seemed to do the trick ... but also ejected the dvd and when reinserted, iDrive came to life. So cannot sort out whether it was the 3-finger salute, time passing, or reinserting the disc.

Am on ProgMan 24.1, as I remember the worksheet.

GolferEngineer
02-25-2007, 05:11 AM
1. Leave overnight. Worked twice for me.
2. Three-finger salute (CD eject, DVD eject, volume). Only tried this once, but seemed to do the trick ... but also ejected the dvd and when reinserted, iDrive came to life. So cannot sort out whether it was the 3-finger salute, time passing, or reinserting the disc.

Am on ProgMan 24.1, as I remember the worksheet.
Thanks!

I hope BMW addresses this software bug ASAP.:dunno:

bobbywang
02-28-2007, 10:43 AM
:cry: Just had my software updated about a week ago to fix idling issues...got gas this morning and when I got back into the car, stuck in the key and saw "black" on my i-Drive screen.

GolferEngineer
03-01-2007, 03:46 PM
Quick update: My car has been in the shop for two full days so far. BMW wanted the service folks to try a software update. My service manager said they'd try it but I'm sure they've been trying to make it fail since the update.

I'll keep you all informed.

jcatral14
03-01-2007, 04:22 PM
I hope they fix it asap. 10 trips to the service department in 11 months seems a lot. You probably know all the valets by now :rofl: Call BMWNA and raise hell. Maybe they'll ofer you a 535xi replacement ;)

GolferEngineer
03-01-2007, 05:50 PM
I hope they fix it asap. 10 trips to the service department in 11 months seems a lot. You probably know all the valets by now :rofl: Call BMWNA and raise hell. Maybe they'll ofer you a 535xi replacement ;)

That would be sweet!:rofl:

GolferEngineer
03-02-2007, 03:29 PM
:mad:

I got the car back after they did a software update via PUMA.

Stopped at the store on the way home and the stereo settings and steering wheel buttons reset again! This was another symptom of my problem. I have to take the car back in Monday to further evaulation.

The car worked before the software upgrade for the O2 sensitivity which caused my check engine light to come on.

If there is anyone from BMW reading this - HELP, PLEASE!:cry:

BMWNA
03-07-2007, 01:48 PM

I got the car back after they did a software update via PUMA.

Stopped at the store on the way home and the stereo settings and steering wheel buttons reset again! This was another symptom of my problem. I have to take the car back in Monday to further evaulation.

The car worked before the software upgrade for the O2 sensitivity which caused my check engine light to come on.

If there is anyone from BMW reading this - HELP, PLEASE!:cry:

I'm with BMW of North America, LLC. I've passed this message on to a BMW NA Customer Relations Representative who will be in touch with you soon.

GolferEngineer
03-07-2007, 05:14 PM
I'm with BMW of North America, LLC. I've passed this message on to a BMW NA Customer Relations Representative who will be in touch with you soon.
Thanks!

GolferEngineer
03-11-2007, 07:32 AM
My car had a PUMA software upgrade that BMW suggested to the dealer would fix the problem. Well, 10 days later the iDrive screen goes out again! I still don't have the audio levels for the Aux input corrected either. I was promised the Dealer would start a PUMA case but I haven't heard anything.

When I finally get this fixed, I'll post the resolutions.

Please BMW get it fixed- I love to have my car for even two months without having to visit for service!:dunno:

GolferEngineer
03-11-2007, 07:32 AM

My car had a PUMA software upgrade that BMW suggested to the dealer would fix the problem. Well, 10 days later the iDrive screen goes out again! I still don't have the audio levels for the Aux input corrected either. I was promised the Dealer would start a PUMA case but I haven't heard anything.

When I finally get this fixed, I'll post the resolutions.

Please BMW get it fixed- I love to have my car for even two months without having to visit for service!:dunno:

demaximis
04-01-2007, 09:00 PM
'05 530i, just bought (CPO) with only 4,500 miles on it. Had Sirius installed by the dealer before picking it up. Two days after the purchase (today), I stopped on the way home from an out-of-town wedding. Came back to the car, and the idrive was "dead." No nav, no radio, no Sirius. Tried starting the car several times, thinking it needed to reboot, but that didn't work.

I drove it home with my wife in the passenger seat. We had a fairly long drive, so I took note of everything that was happening while the IDrive remained dormant. The Passenger airbag light above the mirror would flash intermittently (scaring my wife, who thought the airbag wasn't working). I thought it might be a problem with the DVD, so I tried to eject the disk. The DVD drive would not eject the disk when eject was pressed (did not know about re-boot trick at the time), and red lights around CD and DVD and mute button went off for a few seconds before coming back on. The small light above SOS flashed on and off every once in a while too (this may be normal, but I'm new to the car, so I noted it). When we got home, I brought our things upstairs and put the kids to bed. I went back down ten minutes later, and of course, it came right back on when I started the key. I rebooted the system for good measure with the three-button trick, but I'm taking it to be checked by the service department tomorrow anyway, because I am concerned about why this would happen (and also about the airbag light -- whether related to this or not). If anyone on this thread found a solution to this problem, please post it.

Thanks!

Dave 330i
04-01-2007, 09:02 PM
Isn't trying to figure out i-Drive part of the driving experience of a BMW?

Bart001
04-02-2007, 11:33 AM
+1 for me. Software update was done almost a month ago on my 2005 545i, and 3 or 4 times since then I've gotten the black iDrive screen, no radio, etc. Resetting the iDrive does NOT work to bring it back when it's blacked out like this.

I've let my service advisor know, and I'm hoping to hear back via this thread if a cause has been positively identified.

There seems to be a trend here; hopefully a definite cause and thus a fix will be found!

GolferEngineer
04-02-2007, 11:44 AM
All,
I'm scheduled to have my car upgraded tomorrow to fix the blank iDrive display problem. A PUMA software fix a few weeks ago didn't help and BMW NA contacted me and said the new software will be available 4/1/2007 to fix the iDrive blanking problem. Hopefully, this isn't an April Fool's joke! Even though BMW NA said only a software upgrade was required, the delaer is also replacing the control unit.

Please contact your dealer and BMW NA if necessary. In a way I'm glad to hear that a few more folks have this problem - please don't dismiss it since it should never happen.
On another note, I hope this "fix" also corrects the low Aux audio problem I've had ever since they did the software upgrade to fix the O2 sensitivity - this is when my iDrive problems started.

I realy hope to have good news for all of you in a few days.

stevepow
04-02-2007, 04:05 PM
Keep us posted - my "eye-brows" don't light up, but I don't want to mess with anything that will cause other worse problems.

Bart001
04-02-2007, 08:03 PM
All,
I'm scheduled to have my car upgraded tomorrow to fix the blank iDrive display problem. A PUMA software fix a few weeks ago didn't help and BMW NA contacted me and said the new software will be available 4/1/2007 to fix the iDrive blanking problem. Hopefully, this isn't an April Fool's joke! Even though BMW NA said only a software upgrade was required, the delaer is also replacing the control unit.

Please contact your dealer and BMW NA if necessary. In a way I'm glad to hear that a few more folks have this problem - please don't dismiss it since it should never happen.
On another note, I hope this "fix" also corrects the low Aux audio problem I've had ever since they did the software upgrade to fix the O2 sensitivity - this is when my iDrive problems started.

I realy hope to have good news for all of you in a few days.

That's great! Please follow up post as much info as you can, including the identification of any specific TSB that covers this. Thanks!! :thumbup:

Bassesq
04-03-2007, 05:48 AM
I picked up my car on Saturday. On Monday, I made a brief coffee stop. When I came out there was no audio output even though all cd, sat systems displayed properly. Even the BMW chimes were silent. Turning the car off and restarting didn't work.

I arrived at my next stop where the car was parked for about 1 1/2 hours. When I came out and restarted then all systems were fine. My sales associate said that it takes the car a full 15 minutes for all computers in the car to shut down after the car is turned off.

I hope this doesn't happen again.....especially after just reading the above posts. :eeps:

demaximis
04-03-2007, 04:45 PM
I had my software updated yesterday, and was told they just received the fix for this issue, which seems consistent with what GolferEngineer was told. So far so good, but I will keep an eye on the issue.

hhassing
04-04-2007, 07:11 AM
Alas, although BMW NA told me they had never heard of what was happening to my iDrive, I now realize that there are many with the same problem. I've had my 2007 x5 for 3 days, and the iDrive screen is completely blank. I took it to a local service provider and they were stumped, started swapping out parts in my trunk with an x5 on their lot. Idiots! Anyway, I now have to drive 2 hours to where I bought it (the other place told me I had to wait 22 days for them to get me in b/c I didn't buy it from them) where I'm sure they'll tell me they don't know what's going on. This is driving me crazy! BMW ride is great, but anything else is terrible. I bought a 3 series in 1999 and the window regulator design was messed up and it sounded like it was metal crunching glass, they kept replacing it but what good is that when the flaw is in the design of the regulator.
By the way, how do you reboot with the 3 finger salute if you can't get the screen on?
Thanks!

hhassing
04-04-2007, 07:17 AM

How do I press the mute button if my screen is blank? is this a button on the dash?

jcatral14
04-04-2007, 07:22 AM
How do I press the mute button if my screen is blank? is this a button on the dash?

Mute is the volume knob.

hhassing
04-04-2007, 07:29 AM
Mute is the volume knob.

Thank you, I tried that based on intuition and nothing. I'm off to make a 2 hour drive to see my service guy. I'm betting that they tell me they don't know what's wrong and send me home with a loaner. I could pull all my hair out right now.

Bart001
04-04-2007, 07:35 AM
By the way, how do you reboot with the 3 finger salute if you can't get the screen on?
Thanks!

The "reboot" key combo does not cure this issue. It works if the iDrive should happen to freeze, but the particular issue that this thread is about does not respond to the 'soft reboot' key combo.

The computers take 15 minutes to reset?? I never heard THAT ONE before! :confused:

Bart001
04-04-2007, 07:36 AM
Oh and I've been emailing my Service Advisor and he'll keep looking for a TSB on this. I've not had this issue for a week now, and I'd rather just keep the car until a proper fix is identified, rather than having the dealership try to just shotgun it.

Any specific info that others may find out really would be appreciated! :thumbup:

jcatral14
04-04-2007, 07:43 AM
Thank you, I tried that based on intuition and nothing. I'm off to make a 2 hour drive to see my service guy. I'm betting that they tell me they don't know what's wrong and send me home with a loaner. I could pull all my hair out right now.

2 hours??!? Damn. Drive safe :)

GolferEngineer
04-04-2007, 03:16 PM
Just returned with the car from the dealer.

FYI there was a PUMA case #8619842 for the new software re-prgramming.
In addition, the CCC module was replaced and OKed by BMW
The CIP is 25.00.04

So far so good but it usually takes a week or more for the iDrive to quit. I'll be on a business trip next week so any updates from me may take a couple weeks or more.

Something very interesting is that after I've complained about the bad Sirius radio reception every service call for a year, the repair may have also fixed it! I'll keep my fingers crossed.

Hope this helps others with the same problem.:thumbup:

hhassing
04-04-2007, 05:59 PM
Hello All, I am finally back home. Talk about frustrating. I drove 2 hours there and 2 hours back, with a loaner car. It took hours for them to tell me that my whole "computer" was completely crashed. They tried swapping out my cd and dvd console (apparently that is where the main hub is) with another one on their lot but the other one was wired for sirius so no audio on output. Anyway, BMW technical authorized my service dealer to order and release a new one. In my case, this was not something I could reset and reboot, the whole system was down, nothing would respond, can't even take my CD out. This is so frustrating, which I think I already said. I'll keep you all posted on what they tell me, although I highly doubt they will tell me much besides, "here's your car".

hhassing
04-04-2007, 06:01 PM
Just returned with the car from the dealer.

FYI there was a PUMA case #8619842 for the new software re-prgramming.
In addition, the CCC module was replaced and OKed by BMW
The CIP is 25.00.04

So far so good but it usually takes a week or more for the iDrive to quit. I'll be on a business trip next week so any updates from me may take a couple weeks or more.

Something very interesting is that after I've complained about the bad Sirius radio reception every service call for a year, the repair may have also fixed it! I'll keep my fingers crossed.

Hope this helps others with the same problem.:thumbup:

What exactly is "PUMA case #" and "CCC module"? My iDrive quit 3 days after I bought my car. They are swapping out my cd/dvd console b/c they said that was the root cause, completely inoperable.

GolferEngineer
04-04-2007, 06:15 PM
What exactly is "PUMA case #" and "CCC module"? My iDrive quit 3 days after I bought my car. They are swapping out my cd/dvd console b/c they said that was the root cause, completely inoperable.
PUMA is an acronym for something and the CCC is the controller behind the CD/Nav unit.

BTW when my iDrive went out I couldn't eject the CD either. But, it usually came to life after being off for several hours or over night.

I'm glad your dealer got the approval for a new unit. You can call them and reference my PUMA number - that may help them not have to reinvent the wheel!

Good Luck!

Let's keep our fingers crossed.

hhassing
04-04-2007, 10:56 PM
PUMA is an acronym for something and the CCC is the controller behind the CD/Nav unit.

BTW when my iDrive went out I couldn't eject the CD either. But, it usually came to life after being off for several hours or over night.

I'm glad your dealer got the approval for a new unit. You can call them and reference my PUMA number - that may help them not have to reinvent the wheel!

Good Luck!

Let's keep our fingers crossed.

Thanks alot! I appreciate the help on this forum and your thread. I should be getting my car Friday, I'm a bit nervous about it b/c the dealer is going to have someone drive my car the 2 hours and take back the loaner, don't know how I feel about that! But I'm really nervous about whether this will happen again. :cry: Less than 500 miles and already getting grief.

rama_e
06-29-2007, 02:46 PM
This issue is really annoying.:mad:
I have a 2007 525 and had this problem happened to me twice already. I finally took my car in for service at BMW Fairfax VA, this includes everything on the first service for 15K miles and I also told him about the idrive going black, no sound, rotating by itself and brake squeaking sound... Gosh!!! I am really tired of this.
They give a Dodge Stratus from Enterprise while the car is serviced there. I really hate that car:thumbdwn:, I told the customer service person; this why I am paying a lot of money on my BMW because I don't like those kind of cars... They could not even afford a BMW?? I told him that even Acura, Audi, Mercedes... they offer their customer the same brand of car. I hate seeing myslef driving that car.
Anyway, the guy told me that he could not finish the upgrade in 2 days. I told him I will take my car back and will come back in another time for this friggin' upgrade. Another trip to the service shop. One of hundredth time.
Come on people, this is a BMW? :mad:

SEEG
06-30-2007, 01:12 PM
Hmm, you folks are scaring me!!

GolferEngineer
07-15-2007, 04:01 PM
My iDrive went blank again this weekend! This is three months after a controller replacement and software upgrade and just 4 weeks after another software upgrade!

The car goes back in the shop tomorrow. Same symptoms as before - a quick dash into a store, come out and no iDrive (or stereo or navigation, etc.). The car has to sit for a few hours to get it back.

BUT, I need the car Wednesday morning to drive 350 + miles to my daughter's wedding - the timing stinks!:dunno:

hunterz4
07-15-2007, 08:29 PM
Man, this is a tough one. They should just replace the entire unit. Your patience is truly a virtue. Is this problem occuring only in cars with NAV units?

stevepow
07-16-2007, 07:36 AM
This has got to be a defect and not a software issue - otherwise all of us would have this problem and this topic would be much longer as a result.

Why has BMW not been able to get their heads around this?

Don't they get 3 tries to fix it and then it's a lemon, right?

GolferEngineer
07-17-2007, 05:53 PM
Got the car back. According to the repair invoice there were trouble codes and they were resolved after re-programming software. It is my assumption that this is probably a correct "fix" since the new Controller/software worked for almost three months but I had the latest failure a month after the software was upgraded again.

If I have any more problems I'll post them. Meanwhile, we're off to Western PA (350 + mile drive) for our youngest daughter's :angel: wedding this weekend. I'll have plenty of chances to check out the fix with all the errands, etc. we'll be doing.;)

jcatral14
07-17-2007, 06:45 PM
Got the car back. According to the repair invoice there were trouble codes and they were resolved after re-programming software. It is my assumption that this is probably a correct "fix" since the new Controller/software worked for almost three months but I had the latest failure a month after the software was upgraded again.

If I have any more problems I'll post them. Meanwhile, we're off to Western PA (350 + mile drive) for our youngest daughter's :angel: wedding this weekend. I'll have plenty of chances to check out the fix with all the errands, etc. we'll be doing.;)

Good to hear that they corrected/fixed it right away. Drive safe :)

Spyder
10-17-2007, 02:10 PM
The iDrive on my wife's '08 ED 535 froze this morning in the default setting, ie, not a blank screen as the OP described, but the 4-spoke initial screen. Others have mentioned that letting the car sit overnight can reset the s/w and solve the immediate problem. My SA told me that, in fact, the reboot occurs after just 28 min. At that point systems have been selectively shut down so that only 70 ma is being drawn from the battery as the car enters sleep mode. The reboot process can be hastened by the "three-finger" exercise described above.

Anyway, my SA believes that the frozen-screen problem will be fixed by the latest iDrive upgrade so the car goes in next Tuesday.

Spyder

obi.wan
10-19-2007, 04:27 AM
i drive is freezing more and more, completerly random.
Freeze: black screen
turn car off, random amount of time, resets

I had this replaced when we had less than 100 miles on the car.

have to take it in one of these days:mad:

Rubber Ducky
10-19-2007, 05:55 AM
Have never had the blank-screen problem in my E93, but in wife's 550i lt shows up with annoying frequency.

But may have a clue on the source (after dealer struck out on repeating the problem). I think it lies in the DVD player that holds the navi disc. Ejecting and reinserting the disc seems to cure it. Had to thump the dash with my fist to get the DVD to eject.

If same prob/cure repeats for me, intend to take car to dealer and request a swap-out of the DVD gear. Will post results.

diana
10-19-2007, 06:25 AM
Someone asked earlier and I repeat: Is the I-Drive problem showing up only in vehicles with NAVI? We're considering ordering a 5-series without NAVI since we have a Garmin, but this problem would make me really crazy.

Rubber Ducky
10-19-2007, 06:38 AM
Someone asked earlier and I repeat: Is the I-Drive problem showing up only in vehicles with NAVI? We're considering ordering a 5-series without NAVI since we have a Garmin, but this problem would make me really crazy.
Have no familiarity with iDrive/no-navi. If this combo uses a DVD to load the program, would guess comparable potential for issue (assuming my theory is right). If the program is loaded in some other way, would guess no probs.

IMHO, the latest BMW navi is pretty good and (with progress in RTTI data timeliness) will only get better. The 5-series gives you option of HUD. With BMW navi, it's a great combo (and no sense at all without the navi).

fueledbymetal
11-03-2008, 10:40 AM
Someone asked earlier and I repeat: Is the I-Drive problem showing up only in vehicles with NAVI?

I don't have nav and this just happened to me. :(

Any fixes for this yet?

GolferEngineer
11-03-2008, 12:26 PM
I've just been getting software upgrades every time it has happened!

y2khardtop
06-20-2010, 06:49 PM
Our 05 530i iDrive screen died. No navigation on it. The only thing dead is the screen and the "ding ding" noise (door open, key left in etc) no longer plays. Radio controls buttons light up, but doesn't do anything.

I checked every fuse I could find, since it seems like a power issue, but all seem fine.

Any advice before I call the dealer?

545iSMG
06-20-2010, 11:56 PM
Our 05 530i iDrive screen died. No navigation on it. The only thing dead is the screen and the "ding ding" noise (door open, key left in etc) no longer plays. Radio controls buttons light up, but doesn't do anything.

I checked every fuse I could find, since it seems like a power issue, but all seem fine.

Check the Micro Power Module (MPM) in the spare wheel well of the trunk. Often times they get wet and short out. If that happens, you lose the iDrive screen.

Look here and the links it contains for more info:
http://forums.5series.net/topic/92774-2-white-boxes-in-spare-wheel-well

Rubber Ducky
06-21-2010, 04:26 AM

Have you tried a reset? Search threads....

timl6tyn
09-23-2010, 08:43 AM
Guys - just joined this community today, hope you might be able to help. I have a 2003 model E60 530dse with a dead iDrive. I have the DVD drive for nav, but no CD drive (have 6 disc changer in glove box) hence can't perform the 3 button reset advised in this thread. I have tried holding the mute/volume button and DVD eject buttons simultaneously - nothing happens. Also disconnected the battery for around 15 mins - again no success. Ignition on the instrument cluster shows the warning triangle against the clock to reset the time. Car starts and runs fine. Any thoughts on how I resolve this myself? I'm in the UK and the car is a UK model (RHD).
Thanks a lot.

velvetlevel
09-23-2010, 08:12 PM
hi everybody. in 7 months this happened 3 times to me and i thought it was the heat(cause it all happened in july this year!). what helped me either leave it overnight or if i kept driving it would reboot itself in like 15 minutes completely back to normal

wizzy23
03-15-2012, 10:24 PM
Hello every one. I've done a lot of reading about the idrive issue. I wanted to tell my experience and how I resolved it.

1st of my car was out of warranty 55K miles on it . I got in one morning to go to work and out of no where my sreen went black. My idrive knob spun freely. I was already thinking of the money this is going to cost me. Any how I hopped on the web and started researching and found out that my MPM ...micro power module was bad or so I hoped. I went to the dealer bought a new one for $155.00 came home installed and all was well again. I moved the MPM to a different location. It was a bad design issue putting such a sensitive electronic device in the bottom of the trunk under the spare tire. I moved mine to the driver side wheel well or compartment.

Any how I didnt need to reprogram anything just plug and play. I think I saved a lot of money because I can see where BMW would want to change everything and take $2800 from me like they've done to others....

Anything happens to your car My advice is READ READ and read some more...more than likely you are not alone.

thanks to all on bimmerfest....awsome site

socal28
03-19-2012, 02:57 PM
Hello every one. I've done a lot of reading about the idrive issue. I wanted to tell my experience and how I resolved it.

1st of my car was out of warranty 55K miles on it . I got in one morning to go to work and out of no where my sreen went black. My idrive knob spun freely. I was already thinking of the money this is going to cost me. Any how I hopped on the web and started researching and found out that my MPM ...micro power module was bad or so I hoped. I went to the dealer bought a new one for $155.00 came home installed and all was well again. I moved the MPM to a different location. It was a bad design issue putting such a sensitive electronic device in the bottom of the trunk under the spare tire. I moved mine to the driver side wheel well or compartment.

Any how I didnt need to reprogram anything just plug and play. I think I saved a lot of money because I can see where BMW would want to change everything and take $2800 from me like they've done to others....

Anything happens to your car My advice is READ READ and read some more...more than likely you are not alone.

thanks to all on bimmerfest....awsome site

Do you have the exact part number for future reference?

wizzy23
03-19-2012, 03:44 PM
Sure ,

BMW 61356982347 MPM / Located under spare tire inside trunk

Paul Baxter
09-01-2012, 06:01 AM
Hi. My idrive is cutting out and (a bit later) restarting itself on a pretty random basis. It cuts out after about a minute (roughly). I've only just bought the car and I'm new to BMW so obviously I'm gutted. Are my problems similar to those above on this forum, or have I got a different problem. One desperate hope I have is that it might have something to do with the key (which is on low power). I'd welcome any advice if some-one has had similar experience.

NoQuarter
09-01-2012, 07:15 AM
Sorry. Your key has no effect on what is happening.

Skelton
03-29-2013, 05:56 AM
Ive got a545i anmy i drive has gone out my radio seatbelt chimes an also the sensors on front bumper an bck bumper. The mpm module does not have any power coming out of it at all. Im asumeing the mpm is bad? Can sumone tell me where can get 1 or anybbody happen have a mpm forsale thanx