PDA

View Full Version : 2006 X3 vs 2007 X3

profesora
02-24-2007, 08:50 AM
I haven't purchased an X3 yet b/c I am not sure if I should spend the $$ on a new (2007) X3 vs. a slightly used 2006. What are the major differences between the two?

Of importance are the leather vs. the leatherette-- which is more durable?
Folding rear seats-- does the 2007 fold flatter than the 2006?

The hubby and I are cyclists and need seats that are durable and easy to maintain. In terms of the rear folding seat, I looked at a 2005 about a year ago and it definitely did not fold flat. This makes a difference when loading in bikes and gear.

Thanks for any info!

vern
02-24-2007, 09:04 AM
I haven't purchased an X3 yet b/c I am not sure if I should spend the $$ on a new (2007) X3 vs. a slightly used 2006. What are the major differences between the two?

The hubby and I are cyclists and need seats that are durable and easy to maintain. In terms of the rear folding seat, I looked at a 2005 about a year ago and it definitely did not fold flat. This makes a difference when loading in bikes and gear.

Thanks for any info!
I don't know to much about the 07 because I have the 06 and the seats don't fold down flat either. In all of the other BMW's I have owned with folding seats none of the seats fold down flat. In the X3 BMW offers a bicycle rack that goes inside for 2 bikes Good luck
cheers
vern

AzNMpower32
02-24-2007, 09:15 AM
You can do a search and likely come up with the answers to most of your questions.

2006 versus 2007 is a matter of taste. The '07 gets the new Valvetronic engine with more power and better fuel consumption, along with better interior trim. But the '07 is quieter with less of the inline-6 music (and no dipstick), which may or may not be what you want. Value for dollar, the '07 gives you more features and slightly more technology. You need a test drive to figure out your preferences.

Leatherette is more durable, but doesn't feel or look like real leather as it does in some other BMWs. It's very obvious too.

I doubt the seats fold perfectly flat in any BMW, but one observation is that the 07 has a slighly higher rear bench, making it somewhat more comfortable to sit in the backseat.

There is an accessory bike rack that allows you to fit two bikes in the rear cargo area provided the front wheels on the bikes are off and the rear seats are folded down. This is an excellent choice for those who bike often!

If you live in the Northern VA area, I can provide a referral.

profesora
02-24-2007, 10:38 AM
I have seen the inside bike rack in the brochure. It looks very convenient (popping off the front wheel on any bike is easy) with the exception of having to remove the bike seat/seatpost. This is not a problem for Mt. bikes, but does present issues with road and cross bikes.

I am in the NoVa area--who would you recommend?

AzNMpower32
02-25-2007, 08:06 AM
Sent a PM.

Richard in NC
02-25-2007, 08:28 AM
I have a 2006 X3 and am quite happy with it. I'd want the extra power of the '07 but don't need it. I only miss more power in the mountains when compared to my other car.

I have the leather and it seems durable enough. I like the look and smell of it too. I do take a towel with me for the seat for after I bike and am sweaty on the drive home.

I have the internal bike rack. I do have to remove the bike seat (its easy on my hybrid road bike). Its a tight fit for a big bike but when adjusted properly, two should fit with little problem. Once you spend time the first time to adjust the rack, it takes only a few minutes to load and secure and a few minutes to unload and set up the bike. I leave the cross rails in the X3 and the rails that mount the bike in the garage along side the bike.

UncleJ
02-25-2007, 10:18 AM
I have an 06 non sport with leatherette. I have 4 messy grandkids so I wanted the ease of clean up after a hard day at the beach etc. The damage control for spilled slurpies etc. is much better than in my previous leather fitted Tahoe. There was an earlier post recommending removal of the back seat bottom which allows the seatbacks to lie flat. I find just folding them forward is fine for my needs. Unless you get a super deal, get the 07 just for the improved resale if nothing else. I have driven the 07 and don't find it much, if any, different than the 06 except for the hesitation when taking off from a standing start in the automatic. My 06 jumps right out, and the 07's I have driven hesitate a tick before moving out, much like the Audi tiptronic lag. Take a look at the new X5 too it may fit your cycling needs better. Good luck.

schley
02-25-2007, 10:32 AM

Thanks for any info!

you can see a great view of the bikes rack on the rails from this link.

http://www.bmwusa.com/BMW2003/Templates/MicroSiteHandlerNew3.aspx?NRMODE=Published&NRORIGINALURL=%2fnewx3&NRNODEGUID=%7b7635C981-0881-4E1D-966A-5B396400394B%7d&NRCACHEHINT=ModifyLoggedIn&bhcp=1

AzNMpower32
02-25-2007, 11:28 AM
Take a look at the new X5 too it may fit your cycling needs better.
Except its bleedingly expensive...........

stangmatt66
02-26-2007, 12:03 PM
For me, there are huge differences between the 2006 and 2007, which make the 2007 much more appealing:

Interior
The 2007 has done away with the oddly textured dash (some call it elephant skin texture) and replaced it with a much more BMW-like textured dash with more wood. The leatherette on the 2006 included many pieces in an odd nylon material, the 2007 has abolished this. The door pockets are now solid, not mesh like the 2006. New interior colors are also available: Terracotta, Tobacco, and Sand/Black.

Exterior
The 2006 had painted bumpers which made the X3 look like it was frowning. The 2007 has an X5 look to it, with just a little black on the bumpers to compliment the black wheel wells. The kidney grills have changed shape and color slightly. The amber reflector has moved out of the headlights and onto the front wheel arches. At the back the 2007 X3 gets new LED taillights for improved safety.

Drivetrain
The 2007 X3 gets the magnesium alloy 3.0 inline six from the new 3-series producing 260 HP. It also gets the 3-Series' 6-speed auto transmission for better gas mileage. The 2006 had 225hp and a 5-speed auto. The 2007 also receives a new version of X-drive AWD with a new stability/traction control system.

Option packages/stand alone options
Many of the optional equipment from the 2006 haven't changed for the 2007. Sirius pre-wiring is now standard.

Did I miss anything?