View Full Version : manual transmission

02-24-2007, 04:28 PM
Hi all,

How is the manual shifter on X3?
Shifting, clutch feel?

thanks

AlanLX3
02-24-2007, 05:53 PM
Throw on the manual is a little long but isn't hard to adjust to. Clutch is quite intuitive and easy to work with.

AzNMpower32
02-24-2007, 07:48 PM
I've heard good things about it. It's the typical BMW manual.......throws aren't Honda short, but clutch is progressive and easy. That's what most reviews say and that's how it felt when I sat in and played with the clutch and shifter at the auto show.

02-24-2007, 07:56 PM
Thank you, guys,

I am considering X3 and if I decide, it's gonna be manual. (actually whatever I decide it will be manual).

iversonm
02-24-2007, 08:12 PM
Thank you, guys,

I am considering X3 and if I decide, it's gonna be manual. (actually whatever I decide it will be manual).

Relatively easy to drive in heavy traffic as well.

If you find you hate the long throw shifter, you may be able to find a short shift kit. There are oodles available for the E46, and may be adaptable to the X3.

White05X3
02-25-2007, 06:30 AM
The MT is typical BMW...positive engagement, perfectly weighted clutch with smooth engagement, and great driveline isolation. I personally find the shift throws perfect. The great low end torque make this transmission a great choice. There is little need to row the gears in traffic...3rd works great from almost 0 to 70.

Just be aware that if you want to resell the car it will be more difficult...the demand for MT X3's is low. However, I loved mine and think it is well worth owning!!

whiffer
02-26-2007, 08:40 PM
i had to order my 07 x3. there were no sticks to be found. fine by me. i got a car that was built for me.

the stick is very nice. i came from an acura rsx-s and was quite used to shifting quickly and rapidly. the x3 wont shift quite as fast as that; ive been locked out of the gate on a few occasions while trying to shift a little too fast. that aside it shifts swiftly and lets you play nicely with the redline.

order the stick, grin the first time you use the start up assist on a hill, and enjoy!

X3CubsFan
03-04-2007, 01:08 PM
I have an 06 with a stick, and it is brilliant. I too had to order mine. For me, the clutch took a bit of getting used to, but the manual is the only way to go with the X3.

sayemthree
03-06-2007, 06:29 PM
the one I test drove was nice - as nicer or nicer than my M3.

cwsqbm
03-08-2007, 08:37 PM
Just be aware that if you want to resell the car it will be more difficult...the demand for MT X3's is low. However, I loved mine and think it is well worth owning!!

I'm considering doing an "owner's choice" (IL version of a lease because of our state tax laws) on an X3 just because of that. Far as I know, residual doesn't take manual vs auto into account. If after three years I'm still in love, I'll keep it, but otherwise walk away.

zanml
03-26-2007, 01:08 PM
I picked mine up a few weeks ago. Couldn't be happier with the MT. Had to order mine as well. I came from A4 Quattro 1.8. Nice and peppy but had to downshift a lot with the smaller engine. Like White05X3 said, you don't need to work the gears much at all if you feel like taking it easy for a while.

03-26-2007, 06:15 PM
I am drooling. Have to wait a bit longer...

Andre
03-26-2007, 06:32 PM
I bought the automatic and quickly regretted it. If you're used to a stick, get the stick, If you don't you will regret it.

Now I have to trade mine in on a 335i. :)