PDA

View Full Version : Winter Tires

okiemark
02-25-2007, 03:41 AM
My replacement tires on my 2005 545i are Bridgestone Potenza RE950's, which are all season performance tires. When it snows here in Texas (in the panhandle at 3000 ft elevation it does multiple times a winter), I can't even get up my driveway and driving down some of the streets my tail end slips into the gutter. Would it make a real difference to put on "winter tires" (not studded tires, which are not legal here)? Or should I just steal my wife's SUV on these days?

bimmerturn
02-25-2007, 04:39 AM
Winter tires will definitly make a difference and gt you up the hill. I have the Bilzzak and amazed how wel it handles in snow and ice, rain and dry weather you will feel some wandering at above 75MPH.

wasupdu
02-25-2007, 07:24 AM
I'd suggest you "steal" your wifes SUV those days. There's no real reason to get a winter tire if you only plan to use them a couple days/year.

I live in Minnesnowta and I have Michilin Pilot Alpin's on the stock wheels and have General Exclaim's on my summer 166's.

Lorch92
02-26-2007, 05:21 PM
I got the Dunlop SP Winter Sport run flats, and have been very happy with the combination of performance and winter traction. I moved from a 330xi last year and, with the extra weight and wider track, have found the new 550i with winter tires actually handles at least as well in wintry conditions. I ordered through Tire Rack and, while one of the sensors was defective, they replaced it at no cost and picked up the tab for the extra service. :thumbup: Hope this helps,

okiemark
02-27-2007, 02:08 AM
Thanks guys...I will look into the Blizaaks.

Just for the rear tires?

bimmerturn
02-27-2007, 02:44 AM
I don't know about that, I would recommend all 4.

beauport
02-27-2007, 04:59 AM

Just for the rear tires?

All 4 tires need to be winter tires if you're changing. I have Continental winter tires (TS790 V) and was pleasantly surprised how well they handle with very little road noise, even at higher speeds (70-85). With the relatively low snowfall you mention you probably don't need a deep snow winter tire and can choose from a number of the "performance" winter tires. Here in the DC area we get snow but not lots and not often but enough that the tire change is well worth the effort.