PDA

View Full Version : Now Im Pissed!!!!!

clint
02-25-2007, 11:02 AM
So i bought (not leased) my X3 off the showroom floor 2.5yrs ago. Since then this is the crap i have delt with......................in no specific order,

- tranny holding gear to long since day one! had it in at least 6 times for this....finally fixed when i got wind of the SIB going around the various boards

- door creak.....in about 4 times for that ....carbaflo, carbaflo and more carbaflo....now i have what looks like scotch tape wrapped around my door frames :mad:

- 2 drivers and 1 pass window regulator.....and now the drivers is going again!

- 4 rims replaced due to peeling finish around center caps

- both roof racks due to bubbling finish

- sunroof grinding noise

- sunroof gurguling noise when it rained (something to do with drain plugs)

- 3 check engine lights.............. Now a 4th!:mad:

I took the day off on Friday the 23rd to get the 3rd check engine light fixed......then today it comes on again!!

Now including all the time to drive to my dealer who is 45 min away and adjusting my day to meet there service hrs for drop off, all the return trips because they have to order parts, or they "cant reproduce the problem" and or put on defective parts again.....in the case of the new roof racks one of them had a dent in so noticeable that even Stevie Wonder would have seen it! and last but not least there overall quality of work is pathetic!!!!!!! right down to there after service car washes .............. my 2yr old could do a better job!!!

After 5 BMW's from them, should i demand a "to good to be true deal" from them on a 328 or 335, something that is proven more reliable. (All 4 of my previous cars and one current have been 3 series and have had minimal issues).........so i hopefully won't have to see the service dept as much, or give up the fight altogether and test new waters?

AzNMpower32
02-25-2007, 11:47 AM
Sorry to hear you're having a lot of problems in your X3. Try and find another service department. Assuming you're in Ontario (?), I guess BMW dealers aren't as close to each other, and I can imagine 45min drives would be a hassle. Out of curiosity, do they provide you a loaner/rental when you drop it off? Some dealers in the US (rare) are willing to come to your home and drop off a loaner and take your X in for service for you.

You may or may not find the 3er to be more reliable. Like I've said for BMWs, you either have one that'll cause you problems and will give you a headache, or you'll have one that's problem free. There are more electronics to go wrong on the 3, but its up to you to see if you like it or not.

clint
02-25-2007, 12:01 PM
yes i get a loaner everytime. but i have to leave work early to get there b-4 5pm the night b-4 then leave early again to pick it up the next night again b-4 5pm. its a big pain in the :bareass:...... the next closest dealer is 1:15 min away and i know they wont be giving me any loaners as i didnt buy the vehicle from them

SilverX3
02-25-2007, 12:59 PM
I used to have an X3 2005 built had window regulator reset replaced about every 2-3 months, engine waning light a few times... so sick of it... it's my fourth BM, so I sold it 3 months ago and got a Mazda CX-7 instead.....miss the BM but don't miss the problems

Good luck....3 seems to be the best of the Bimmer bunch

Paul in SF
02-25-2007, 01:23 PM
My 2005 X3 is for sale now. My next car won't be a BMW.

AzNMpower32
02-25-2007, 01:28 PM
yes i get a loaner everytime. but i have to leave work early to get there b-4 5pm the night b-4 then leave early again to pick it up the next night again b-4 5pm. its a big pain in the :bareass:...... the next closest dealer is 1:15 min away and i know they wont be giving me any loaners as i didnt buy the vehicle from them
When do they open in the morning? Ours opens at 7:30, although I know the building's usually open and running by 7am. Drop it off in the morning maybe? :dunno:

mateo
02-25-2007, 08:57 PM
^There is no way in he** I would buy a Mazda SUV over a BMW...:rofl:

SilverX3
02-25-2007, 09:48 PM
it's a free world and that's your choice

however, Mazda now top JD Power rating and being a lease car, I need something reasonable and reliable

crazybelgian
02-26-2007, 11:17 AM
my X3 is problem free... but I don't expect it to be as reliable as our honda (which has to be the most boring car to drive) The only thing that ever broke on our honda was the passenger airbag sensor, and that was after 100,000 miles. Right after it broke I get a warranty extension in the mail for that exact part, up to 150,000 miles or 10 years! I couldn't believe it!
In any case, I am leasing my BMW for a reason, I don't want to own it past the warranty.
Awesome car though.

ATLBMW
05-16-2007, 01:39 PM
it's a free world and that's your choice

however, Mazda now top JD Power rating and being a lease car, I need something reasonable and reliable

Maxdaz = no chics (and less problems than BMW):eeps: :eeps: :eeps: :eeps:

AzNMpower32
05-16-2007, 03:04 PM
Obviously its a personal taste/choice thing, but I don't really like Mazda because of the Ford influence. Yes yes yes I know lots of parts are Mazda-only on cars like the Mazda6 and Mazda3, but it's just an annoying fact that sticks out in the back of my head. It's like if a BMW shared the platform with say, a Pontiac.

Miata is a terrific vehicle though. That's the only Mazda I would ever, ever consider.

johntchow
05-16-2007, 04:16 PM
get an 07 X3... the 04 is a POS

stangmatt66
05-16-2007, 04:19 PM
From my experience with Mazda...

1. Service is terrible! Don't ever expect a simple repair/oil change to take a day or less. Service writers are rude and don't return phone calls.

2. Unless you know a lot about rotaries or have a lot of time to make repeated trips to the dealer, stay away from the RX-8. Beautiful car. Amazing handling. Sonorous exhaust note. But a total pain in the arse.

3. The Mazda6 has the turning radius of a Suburban.

4. Don't let Ford's 30***37; ownership of Mazda affect your decision. Ford has actually used more Mazda parts than Mazda has used Ford parts. The RX-8 has no Ford parts, the Mazda6 is the basis for the Edge, MKX, Fusion, Zephyr and Milan. Mazda, however, does use a few Ford engines. The Mazda3 is built from the Volvo S40, a great platform.

If I come up with more, I'll add them...

cintroncar
05-17-2007, 08:27 AM
[QUOTE=crazybelgian;2200711]my X3 is problem free... but I don't expect it to be as reliable as our honda (which has to be the most boring car to drive)

Crazybelgian or anyone,
I am just curious, when you say that Honda is to be the most boring car to drive, what do you mean by that. I am just asking because many people in this forum have said that BMW X3 is fun to drive and hondas are boring. Can you expand or give some examples? I am planning to buy a BMW X3, but my wife prefer a Honda because of the reliability issue.

Thanks.

kjboyd
05-17-2007, 08:42 AM
you just have to go drive them both to understand.

crazybelgian
05-17-2007, 10:26 AM
[QUOTE=crazybelgian;2200711]my X3 is problem free... but I don't expect it to be as reliable as our honda (which has to be the most boring car to drive)

Crazybelgian or anyone,
I am just curious, when you say that Honda is to be the most boring car to drive, what do you mean by that. I am just asking because many people in this forum have said that BMW X3 is fun to drive and hondas are boring. Can you expand or give some examples? I am planning to buy a BMW X3, but my wife prefer a Honda because of the reliability issue.

Thanks.

My honda is boring because of:

- styling (subjective)
- lack of punch off the line
- lack of power
- the transmission - hard to explain, just drive one
- handling - don't feel in tune the road at all (unless you've driven a car that is "in tune", you won't notice probably)

Other things I don't like about it:

- excess road noise
- finish and feel of materials

There is definitely more, but I have to think about it a little.
Of course some of the power issues could be helped by getting a more expensive Honda with bigger engine.
I have to say, it has never broken down on me (after 105,000 miles), but neither has my BMW (after 20,000 miles :) )

crazybelgian
05-17-2007, 10:30 AM
oh and one more thing, I'm definitely biased because I have to somehow justify the fact that my BMW is almost twice as expensive as my Honda :)
Just go drive both and see if the extra cost is worth it for you, I decided it was for me...

chuck92103
05-17-2007, 10:32 AM
It sounds like you are a candidate for the trade assist program.

I would send a letter to BMWNA.

dug01
05-17-2007, 12:56 PM
I used to have an X3 2005 built had window regulator reset replaced about every 2-3 months, engine waning light a few times... so sick of it... it's my fourth BM, so I sold it 3 months ago and got a Mazda CX-7 instead.....miss the BM but don't miss the problems

Good luck....3 seems to be the best of the Bimmer bunch

Lets see I am looking at CR Jan 2007 at sporty suv's--Rav4 #1, X3 #2, CX-7 #6 (last place)--CX-7 (Quote)Stiff ride, rubbery impacts, "ride and road noise were turnoffs"--wide turn circle, turbo hesitation at low speed, limited headroom, no telescope wheel, --but it is $10k less--Worth it?--I don't think so, and every time I drive my X3 I am glad I bought it. Fun to drive, Not boring, great performance, great gas mileage, and the best dealer.:thumbup:

sfca-325i
05-17-2007, 02:27 PM
It sounds like you are a candidate for the trade assist program.

I would send a letter to BMWNA.

For trade assist, you need to start the process with your service manager.

Rebound X3
05-17-2007, 08:22 PM
Lets see I am looking at CR Jan 2007 at sporty suv's--Rav4 #1, X3 #2, CX-7 #6 (last place)--CX-7 (Quote)Stiff ride, rubbery impacts, "ride and road noise were turnoffs"--wide turn circle, turbo hesitation at low speed, limited headroom, no telescope wheel, --but it is $10k less--Worth it?--I don't think so, and every time I drive my X3 I am glad I bought it. Fun to drive, Not boring, great performance, great gas mileage, and the best dealer.:thumbup:

You're not seriously looking at CR for automotive reviews, are you?

You might as well ask a blind guy to describe "blue" to you.

If you're buying a washing machine, CR is great. If you're buying a car, CR will tell you what they think of it based on their knowledge of washing machines. :tsk:

dug01
05-18-2007, 08:14 AM
You're not seriously looking at CR for automotive reviews, are you?

You might as well ask a blind guy to describe "blue" to you.

If you're buying a washing machine, CR is great. If you're buying a car, CR will tell you what they think of it based on their knowledge of washing machines. :tsk:

I guess we should ask you first maybe you are more of an expert than they are!! :tsk:

smokeminside
05-18-2007, 08:53 PM
I have a lousy dealer (only one on the island) with a service department that speaks out of both sides of its mouth and I didn't get the usual 1000 over invoice deal everyone brags about on these boards (again, because the car was from the only dealer on the island). Knowing this going in, I still bought the car, and I still enjoy driving it every day, and I would buy it again. I totally get the driveability argument; once I drove the X3 (I used to drive a 323i), for my family's needs of room and convenience, and my "need" for a fun quotient, I knew I wouldn't be satisfied driving anything else.

For me, driving a Honda or Toyota is like driving a sofa: comfortable but sleep-inducing.

Rebound X3
05-19-2007, 08:45 AM
I guess we should ask you first maybe you are more of an expert than they are!!

Sounds like I'm more expert than you. Have a nice drive in your washing machine. :tsk:

BTW - toughen up, buttercup. Your slip is showing.

dug01
05-19-2007, 09:00 AM
I have a lousy dealer (only one on the island) with a service department that speaks out of both sides of its mouth and I didn't get the usual 1000 over invoice deal everyone brags about on these boards (again, because the car was from the only dealer on the island). Knowing this going in, I still bought the car, and I still enjoy driving it every day, and I would buy it again. I totally get the driveability argument; once I drove the X3 (I used to drive a 323i), for my family's needs of room and convenience, and my "need" for a fun quotient, I knew I wouldn't be satisfied driving anything else.

For me, driving a Honda or Toyota is like driving a sofa: comfortable but sleep-inducing.

I agree--its about the driving experence--Its a car you want to drive not another appliance. I was lucky to have a good dealer although like you he is the only one in town and no deals--who cares I got what I wanted. I have rented many cars in my travels and I agree on the Honda and Toyota-BORING-the Camry is now the new "Geezer-mobile" slowly replacing the LeSabre and the Crown Vic!!:yikes:

05Boxster
05-26-2007, 08:31 AM

I'm shocked that a BMW enthusiast would take anything that CR says about automoblies into consideration. As stated before, they are good for APPLIANCES. They don't like "harsh ride" (sporty), "noisy" (nice exhaust rumble), and "poor fuel economy" (anything other than a Prius)....

sorry to go on a tirade......just can't stand CR:thumbdwn:

dug01
05-26-2007, 01:32 PM
I'm shocked that a BMW enthusiast would take anything that CR says about automoblies into consideration. As stated before, they are good for APPLIANCES. They don't like "harsh ride" (sporty), "noisy" (nice exhaust rumble), and "poor fuel economy" (anything other than a Prius)....

sorry to go on a tirade......just can't stand CR:thumbdwn:

If you were a subscriber and knew about the staff and testing procedures you might not make assumptions like this-- :dunno: -I think that if they constantly praised all BMW models then you would think CR was the best!! I tend to doubt the mags that accept heavy advertisements from auto makers--for instance--CR in the May issue tested the Dodge Nitro--Their comments under Highs--None--under Lows Just about everything including harsh ride and noise--and not sporty or exhaust--they really beat it up. --I don't think Motor Trendy would be so critical on an automaker that gives them advertising money--But to each his own opinion. :D Anyway if they are no good for autos then why do you think they would be good for appliances?? :dunno:

AzNMpower32
05-26-2007, 03:10 PM
Anyway if they are no good for autos then why do you think they would be good for appliances?? :dunno:
Because a car is not an appliance. And since cars and appliances have absolutely nothing in common, it's reasonable to say that even though they're awful at testing cars, they're okay on appliances.

CR is in love with Toyota. They're probably married.

dug01
05-26-2007, 08:08 PM
Because a car is not an appliance. And since cars and appliances have absolutely nothing in common, it's reasonable to say that even though they're awful at testing cars, they're okay on appliances.

CR is in love with Toyota. They're probably married.

Your a funny guy :rofl: You should Take this to the "off topic" forum--under "I don't know what I am talking about"--

zen68
05-26-2007, 09:44 PM
As a CR subscriber for almost 20 years, I have to chime in.

My problem with CR when it comes to testing cars is that they put TOO MUCH emphasis on reliability. This is good for appliances because we all want appliances to be reliable, we don't need them to be FUN.

With cars, there's emotional factor here, especially for car enthusiasts. We LOVE our cars. We wash, buff, take pictures then STARE at our cars (don't you think we're checking out cars the same way we're checking out women :D). We obsess with handling, accelerations and most importantly we want it to be FUN ... Again, I'm talking about car enthusiasts here (true story: my wife was mistaken a KIA with MERCEDES).

CR uses similar testing procedure like other magazines. However, this is how they rate the cars (by the way, my in-law works for David Champion of CR Auto Testing):

1. Reliability (this is why TOYOTA is the king)
2. Ergonomic (not BMW strong suit)
3. Ride quality (TOYOTA again)
4. Performance (They do praise BMW for handling. In fact, the 3 and 5 series always get high marks for handling)

So take their rating with a grain of salt. I was the owner of one TOYOTA, one HONDA, one ACURA and one LEXUS because I used to depend so much on their rating. However, after I bought my first bimmer a few years ago, I never look back!

Most BMW owners know it's a "ultimate driving machine" not " ultimate reliable machine".

AzNMpower32
05-27-2007, 08:01 AM
With cars, there's emotional factor here, especially for car enthusiasts. We LOVE our cars. We wash, buff, take pictures then STARE at our cars (don't you think we're checking out cars the same way we're checking out women :D). We obsess with handling, accelerations and most importantly we want it to be FUN ... Again, I'm talking about car enthusiasts here
Don't forget, we care how good the car sounds too :D

I wonder if any of the CR car testers go to car meets/gatherings.

Rebound X3
05-27-2007, 12:43 PM
Now, now - as dug01 said:

I guess we should ask you first maybe you are more of an expert than they are!!:tsk:

I don't know why you people think you know so much! :rofl:

dug01
05-28-2007, 06:15 AM
My problem with CR when it comes to testing cars is that they put TOO MUCH emphasis on reliability. This is good for appliances because we all want appliances to be reliable, we don't need them to be FUN.

With cars, there's emotional factor here, especially for car enthusiasts. We LOVE our cars. We wash, buff, take pictures then STARE at our cars (don't you think we're checking out cars the same way we're checking out women :D). We obsess with handling, accelerations and most importantly we want it to be FUN ... Again, I'm talking about car enthusiasts here (true story: my wife was mistaken a KIA with MERCEDES).

CR uses similar testing procedure like other magazines. However, this is how they rate the cars (by the way, my in-law works for David Champion of CR Auto Testing):

4. Performance (They do praise BMW for handling. In fact, the 3 and 5 series always get high marks for handling)

Most BMW owners know it's a "ultimate driving machine" not " ultimate reliable machine".

Good Points--I think CR reports to the majority of car buyers that want a nice reliable vehicle--look whats on the road--4 wheel "appliances"--people movers that are affordable and relatively trouble free. The number that really appreciate the "nuts and bolts" of the vehicle and have a passion for driving is small and many of us in this forum belong to that group--for what CR does they do for a larger market than we are in--that is the general public. And there is nothing wrong with emphasis on reliability, ride and comfort--after all most buyers are looking for than. In the CR test of sporty SUV's the X3 came in second yet had the worst reliability--CR does not include reliability in the tests ratings but only when giving recommendations--The VW Passat has been the CR top family sedan for years and yet the reliability of the 4 cyl models are not good--but they are nice driving and performing cars(I have owned 2). So far my X3 and Z4 have been trouble free and are fun to drive--I wouldn't even consider a Camry or Impala at any cost--I want a car that I look forward to taking for a drive and the BMW do that for me. :thumbup:

Techson
05-28-2007, 06:48 AM
consider a 335 if you are after trouble free autos... they are having (what I would call major) fuel pump problems... also, over heating is an issue. If you need to 300hp, I would wait until the next model year. I have a 328 and it has plenty of power for me.

05Boxster
05-31-2007, 06:51 PM
Good Points--I think CR reports to the majority of car buyers that want a nice reliable vehicle--look whats on the road--4 wheel "appliances"--people movers that are affordable and relatively trouble free. The number that really appreciate the "nuts and bolts" of the vehicle and have a passion for driving is small and many of us in this forum belong to that group--for what CR does they do for a larger market than we are in--that is the general public. And there is nothing wrong with emphasis on reliability, ride and comfort--after all most buyers are looking for than. In the CR test of sporty SUV's the X3 came in second yet had the worst reliability--CR does not include reliability in the tests ratings but only when giving recommendations--The VW Passat has been the CR top family sedan for years and yet the reliability of the 4 cyl models are not good--but they are nice driving and performing cars(I have owned 2). So far my X3 and Z4 have been trouble free and are fun to drive--I wouldn't even consider a Camry or Impala at any cost--I want a car that I look forward to taking for a drive and the BMW do that for me. :thumbup:

You hit the nail on the head..... CR doesn't report on cars from an enthusiast point of view. If I was looking for a car for my mom or dad, then heck yeah I'd pick up a copy of CR. But that just underscores my point of CR being the magazine for the "masses" who buy cars, not the minority that we are :)...

snb3
06-01-2007, 03:03 AM
the Mazda 6 & many Mazdas have Ford engines. If I buy an Asian nameplate, I want Asian engine characteristics ( smooth broad powerband: unless you you go high line domestic, you get a yesteryear rattlebox). I already have a Taurus company car w/3.0 V6 where other make's service advisor's think there's an engine issues due to an uneven idle. At the same time, Honda's V6 has pathetic mileage as the Ford will get 30% better hwy mileage (you can never get something w/o sacrificing something else). I'm typing this in Vegas, where my Pilot needs to refuel on the way from LA whereas the Taurus has a 1/4 tank left.

BTW, Ford is the only maker where after a service visit, my car is returned dirtier than I left @ the dealer. Additionally, the Ford dealer needed 3 tries to diagnose and replace tie rods (after i told them thats what it exactly needed in the beginning). but then again, my BMW dealer finally found out about my failing E46 control arm bushings 10000 miles after I told them about it.

where am I going with this thread?

well, Im in Vegas if thats an excuse....

dug01
06-01-2007, 06:21 AM
BTW, Ford is the only maker where after a service visit, my car is returned dirtier than I left @ the dealer. Additionally, the Ford dealer needed 3 tries to diagnose and replace tie rods (after i told them thats what it exactly needed in the beginning). but then again, my BMW dealer finally found out about my failing E46 control arm bushings 10000 miles after I told them about it.

where am I going with this thread?

well, Im in Vegas if thats an excuse....

I had the same experience with a Chrysler dealer--once I took my Intrepid in for a front end clunk--he could not find anything wrong so asked me to show him where the noise came from--he took me to someone else's car that he spend 3 hours working on--glad he didn't work in a hospital-I left after wiping down the steering wheel and gear shifter. I removed the greasy hand prints on the outside when I returned home!-after that 2 VW'w, an Audi and now 2 BMW's I have been receiving quality service and have been driving quality automobiles.--no more American nameplates for me.
BTW good luck in Vegas--:thumbup:

chuck92103
06-01-2007, 06:28 AM

I would say BMW gets the top spot for ergonomics, ride, and performance.

There is no way a Toyota is better ergonomically when every model has a different dash. So many companies change th dashes on every model and throw pretty blue and white lights at you. It may look cool, and the uninformed buyer is oblivious to form and function.

Ride? A Toyota drives like a Buick, so many cars have a slushy ride, not sure this is a mark of praise. :dunno:

The last Camry I drove was all over the road. So yeah it may ride smoother, but that is because you give up control.

defocas
06-07-2007, 07:21 PM
No Camry for this 82 year old geezer. After test driving SUVs from Infinity, Lexus, Mercedes, Ford and GM I picked the 2007 X3 over the others. As soon as I test drove it I was sold. It's my first BMW and regret I had never bought one when I was younger. I've driven it 5000 trouble free miles and enjoy driving it. I especially enjoy leading a tailgater through an exit ramp. Not even my TR 4 handled curves the way X3 does. So there are geezers who are still young at heart and there are youngsters that are .....well ...old.

jvr826
06-07-2007, 07:36 PM
BTW - toughen up, buttercup. Your slip is showing.

May I borrow this please? I LOVE IT!!

Ishniknork
06-07-2007, 09:53 PM
...toughen up, buttercup. Your slip is showing.
:rofl: That sounds like a line from "SCRUBS" :rofl: I don't know if it is, but it sure sounds like it could be!

Rebound X3
06-09-2007, 05:11 AM
May I borrow this please? I LOVE IT!!

$1 - it's yours!

:rofl:

jvr826
06-11-2007, 08:36 AM
Paypal? :D

Rebound X3
06-11-2007, 09:50 AM
Paypal? :D

Always accepted! :bigpimp: