PDA

View Full Version : wheel/tire fitment

fa590
02-25-2007, 06:20 PM
Hi,

I'm buying some new rims and tires, but was wondering about fitment. Will 17" stock x5 rims work on an 05 x3? Also will it work with tires size 235/65?

Thanks

mateo
02-25-2007, 09:49 PM
Hi,

I'm buying some new rims and tires, but was wondering about fitment. Will 17" stock x5 rims work on an 05 x3? Also will it work with tires size 235/65?

ThanksYeah the wheels will. I would not want to change the speedo by not knowing. I would ask the people you are buying your tires from maybe.

-Mateo

z51vette
02-25-2007, 11:25 PM
Hi,

Thanks

Please save yourself a lot of aggravation and learn from my mistakes. Here is a link to my Wheel/tire thread on X3world.

http://www.x3world.com/x3-e83-forum/27103-tire-size-programming-please-help-3.html

By altering your tire's rolling circumference speedometer error will be the least of your worries. Your X-Drive, DSC, Transmission, Transfer case will all be affected. For one thing your X-drive unit will go into default mode and most of the time will stay in permanent all wheel drive mode. This is very damaging over long term to the transfer case. Your transmission shift points will also be affected. Make sure whatever wheel.tire choice you make, It will be within these specs. Tire overall diameter 27.1" to 27.4" (tire diameter has to be identical for front and rear) and Revolutions per mile specification falls between 765-770. You can find these specs on tirerack.com

235/65 17 will definitely not work. This is about 29" OD. You will have major problems switching to this size. 235/55 17 is the biggest you can use. I know it sucks but if you want to avoid a bunch of problems down the road stick with the factory tire OD.