PDA

View Full Version : 2 Nav Questions

Robert A
02-26-2007, 09:45 AM
U.S. 2007 530i here, installed with the latest 2007 North American nav CD.

1. We're navigating from point A to point B (for those in So Cal, it's Ojai to our home in L.A.). Our destination is preset in the nav computer, however we'd like to go by a specific waypoint so that our routing is different from that which is proposed by the navigation system. Maybe we want to take a back road that is neither faster nor shorter. Our five year old Garmin 3600 allowed for waypoints. Does the BMW nav system do the same?

2. Nevertheless, we elect the "fast route" and take the freeway. Inbound to L.A. we decide to locate and stop at the closest Trader Joes (a grocery store) enroute. We already know that we can't search for a store name alphanumerically, but we locate "Grocery Stores" list buried deep in the Info menus on the iDrive system and see all kinds of stores. The problem is that the list that we're presented with is in NO logical order. One would think that the nearest store (whether it be Vons, Ralphs or whatever) would appear first, but such is not the case. One store is 27 miles behind us, the next is 2 miles ahead, then 5 miles to the left. This seems illogical, and I wondered if anyone could comment on this.

Thank you,
Robert

stevepow
02-26-2007, 09:51 AM
My comment is that for years I cannot understand why car makers continue to try to come up with something that Garmin and Magellan have been doing better for ages - why can't they hook up with the experts and put a real Nav system in a car?

Robert A
02-26-2007, 09:57 AM
I take that as a "no" to the question about waypoints.

My comment is that for years I cannot understand why car makers continue to try to come up with something that Garmin and Magellan have been doing better for ages - why can't they hook up with the experts and put a real Nav system in a car?

ExGMan
02-26-2007, 10:06 AM
While this doesn't help Robert much, I agree with Steve. Whenever I hear that DVD drive whirring while the lame NAV system in my 530xi searches for something, I think of my Garmin Streetpilot 2820 just sitting there on my other car's dash, looking up things in a logical way from non-volatile RAM. It's all done with a touch screen, too.

Back to Robert's problem...I have not yet discovered a way to make the BMW NAV unit go on a particular route. I think the only way to do something similar to what you'd like to do is to have it navigate to one destination, then go on to another one. As noted, it's a pretty inept system. As to looking up things like "Trader Joe's" etc., I have found that looking through the "Information" system, and then having the car look for "Near another location" is sometimes the best way to find a particular store, etc. I find they're usually displayed in no alphabetical order, but rather in increasing distance from the other location. This is non-helpful if there are fifty stores and you don't have a clue as to how far away from the center of say "Oxnard" the Trader Joe's is actually located.

The Garmin and the BMW use the same NAVTEQ data it seems, but the actual operation of the units is light-worlds apart in functionality. :cry:

mapezzul
02-26-2007, 10:23 AM
I think there is a way in the route list section to change a particular road. I can not remember off the top of my head. As for the BMW system it has its quirks but it is not that bad.... granted if they could have the features of the garmins with the iDrive that would have been nice... maybe in a few years!:dunno:

Best of luck:thumbup:

Robert A
02-26-2007, 05:31 PM
There's a reason why waypoints are important. They allow you to determine the consequence (or benefit), in time and miles that the alternate route would make.

For example, a long drive from Los Angeles CA to Sedona AZ can be accomplished by taking the northern route (I-40) through Flagstaff, or the southern route (I-10) through Phoenix. The northern route is just a touch longer, maybe 20 minutes (it's about 9 hours total).

Assuming that you want to determine the time and distance for these two alternatives, w/o waypoint capability, these no way to do it (unless of course, you do it manually).

Shame on BMW for this.

I think there is a way in the route list section to change a particular road. I can not remember off the top of my head. As for the BMW system it has its quirks but it is not that bad.... granted if they could have the features of the garmins with the iDrive that would have been nice... maybe in a few years!:dunno:

Best of luck:thumbup:

stevepow
02-27-2007, 11:24 AM
Even the cool Lexus NAV doesn't do way points that I'm aware of. The car Nav thing is so behind the state of the art.

5Thirty
02-27-2007, 05:39 PM
BMW NAV sucks. One thing I am so not used to is now I cant search POI by name...I hate it. I have to go thru bunch of BS to get to the right category then I gotta scroll thru the list God knows how they arrange the list.

Also, why does our NAV has no autodim function? At night the screen is so bright I had to adjust the brightness, but then during the day is not bright enough and I have to keep adjusting...thats lame.

chuck92103
02-27-2007, 05:46 PM
U.S. 2007 530i here, installed with the latest 2007 North American nav CD.

1. We're navigating from point A to point B (for those in So Cal, it's Ojai to our home in L.A.). Our destination is preset in the nav computer, however we'd like to go by a specific waypoint so that our routing is different from that which is proposed by the navigation system. Maybe we want to take a back road that is neither faster nor shorter. Our five year old Garmin 3600 allowed for waypoints. Does the BMW nav system do the same?

2. Nevertheless, we elect the "fast route" and take the freeway. Inbound to L.A. we decide to locate and stop at the closest Trader Joes (a grocery store) enroute. We already know that we can't search for a store name alphanumerically, but we locate "Grocery Stores" list buried deep in the Info menus on the iDrive system and see all kinds of stores. The problem is that the list that we're presented with is in NO logical order. One would think that the nearest store (whether it be Vons, Ralphs or whatever) would appear first, but such is not the case. One store is 27 miles behind us, the next is 2 miles ahead, then 5 miles to the left. This seems illogical, and I wondered if anyone could comment on this.

Thank you,
Robert

Item 1 = If you know a specific route, why do you need nav? :dunno: Just take any road you choose and the inputted destination will auto correct.

Item 2= My POI's are always in order of distance. Not sure what your car's issue is. Maybe a software update is in order.:dunno:

Item 3= It does not matter if it is BMW, Lexus, Infiniti, or a cheap Garmin, all Nav systems have drawbacks. There is no perfect system. Folks keep focusing on the negative with BMW's and never the positives. Once you have owned multiple car brands with varying nav technologies, you realize the truth.

5Thirty
02-28-2007, 09:01 PM
........ There is no perfect system. Folks keep focusing on the negative with BMW's and never the positives. Once you have owned multiple car brands with varying nav technologies, you realize the truth.

Its more painful going from Aftermarket NAV to this BMW NAV. I used to have a touch screen aftermarket, my destination input was 20 times faster than using the stupid iDrive joystick, and maybe 30 times faster than the voice command input....:rofl: :rofl:
It used to make things so much easier when I can search by name, it would have listed all the locations of a specific store name I input with the closest to current location on top of the list. I just missed that feature a lot.

Ugly Bear
03-01-2007, 08:58 PM
Car manufacturers have absolutely no clue what is going on in the world of personal technology. Absolutely zero. People have iPods for how long now? And how many cars have even stupid aux input, leave alone charging connector? And what is that BS when only some BT phones work with the car computer? What is so rocket science there?

Here is the answer: those people who decide what to put in the car probably don't even have a computer at home, leave alone Bluetooth phone or iPod. And they don't use Nav - they have chauffeur. That's how you see hardware shortcut buttons in MY 2008 iDrive instead of customizable icons on screen with favorites.