PDA

View Full Version : Heated steering wheel... WOW!

ycrazyy
02-26-2007, 12:33 PM
Well maybe I'm an idiot, or maybe I just didn't know any better since it's my first car with a heated steering wheel. Anyway I have a 2007 X3 that I picked up back in Nov. I have the heated steering wheel option and always thought it was just OK, nothing too spectacular as it didn't seem to get very hot at all, only got warm and that was when you left your hands in one place.

Anyway, took my car in for service (service engine light on @ 2600 miles) and they gave me a 2006 X3 loaner with the heated steering wheel. Turned it on and WOW! Couldn't believe the tingling in my fingers. Called up the service rep and told him there must be something wrong with mine and alas, they have to replace the steering wheel. Wish I knew how hot this thing got before I went all these months without really using it. It's a GREAT feature, I suppose it's a "good" thing my service engine light came on!

AzNMpower32
02-26-2007, 02:00 PM
That's good to hear. It shouldn't be "burning hot" though. Mine's warm enough to keep you warm, but not hot enough so that you're forced to turn it off. (I turn it off eventually anyway)

ycrazyy
02-26-2007, 06:14 PM
I don't mean it is burning hot to the point where you have to turn it off... just compared to how mine was working, it is like a fire!

On another note, they fixed all the other problems in my car but have to replace the steering wheel... meaning it's going to take 3 days since they have to order one. Guess I'll be driving the 2006 around for a bit. It is a different experience though, I LOVE the sound of it!

AzNMpower32
02-26-2007, 06:58 PM
Guess I'll be driving the 2006 around for a bit. It is a different experience though, I LOVE the sound of it!
Finally, someone who agrees that the one plus side of the pre-facelift models is that at least the engine sounds fantastic all the time, instead of just at redlne :bigpimp:

ycrazyy
03-01-2007, 06:02 AM
Ok so I picked up my X3 yesterday with the "new" steering wheel with the supposedly working heated steering wheel. I have a question for anyone with a 2007 X3 and the heated steering wheel, how hot does it get? I can't tell whether it's just because the steering wheel is thicker or what, but it DEFINITELY doesn't get anywhere near as hot as the 06 loaner I had did. In fact the only place it really even gets warm is on the two sides of the steering wheel, move your hands anywhere else and it is bone cold. I don't want to be annoying to my SA, but I want this to be working properly.

MJS
03-01-2007, 08:17 AM
I have the heated steering wheel in my 07 and it gets hot everywhere. Not super hot, just nice and hot.
I find that if I'm holding a certain part of the wheel for a while it doesn't feel that hot anymore. And if I move my hand to another part of the wheel, it feels hotter. Probably just the skin of the wheel adapting to my temp and it's temp. Thus moving to another area is hotter.

Overall, I love the heated wheel. Makes me wish the gear shifter was heated too!

ycrazyy
03-01-2007, 09:01 AM
...Makes me wish the gear shifter was heated too!
I have had this exact same thought since I got the car! Anyway, I guess that answers my question that my "new" steering wheel isn't working properly either. Guess it's time to give the SA a call.