PDA

View Full Version : roof rack

ub6ib9
02-26-2007, 02:04 PM
hey fellow x3 owners... i have the standard roof rails (i think thats wut u call them) on my 04 x3.... i love to go fishing and i hate always having to put my fishing poles and tackle box in the car (sand, smell, water= yuck) so i want to purchase a roof rack system but i dont want anything to look tacky... i saw one or two thule roof rack systems but im not sure if they will look nice... would really like if u guys could help me out wit wut i need as far as set up and as far as what maybe i should purchase... besides the roof rack i think i also need the rail tracks?? lil lost here :confused:

blueone
02-27-2007, 06:20 PM
to get started you would just need the cross bars/load bars and then after you get those you can tie things down to them or buy add-ons that bolt onto the bars to put whatever you want on them...oem bmw, yakima, or thule brands are all good

bmw bars shown here
http://www.pacificbmw.com/new/parts/photos/a00115803.JPG

i'd think a luggage style box (not cheap) would be best so you can fit the poles and your tacklebox/gear inside without having to tie them down all the time...

or just tie your gear down on the bars, but i dunno how the wind would treat the poles while driving...might whip you roof

shameless plug: i'm actually selling my x3 oem bmw cross bars that uses coded bolts to lock them...if anyone is interested, $175 shipped

iversonm
02-27-2007, 06:57 PM
I have Thule rails, which I use with a my sister's Thule pod and anything else I can't fit in the car.

The rails are easy to install, and have a non marking clamping system. There's a little bit of wind noise, which goes away if you put the cover over the panoramic roof.

A good Thule dealer will help you get the parts you need. I'd guess my setup cost just over $200.

I'd guess that Yakima would offer similar systems.

ub6ib9
02-28-2007, 05:02 AM
thanxs guys for ur responses... im def gonna look into thule and yakima... :thumbup:

p.s. iversonm how big is the luggage carrier?? i saw one thats just around 55 or so inches long... urs is probably the 74 inched no???

iversonm
02-28-2007, 01:52 PM
thanxs guys for ur responses... im def gonna look into thule and yakima... :thumbup:

p.s. iversonm how big is the luggage carrier?? i saw one thats just around 55 or so inches long... urs is probably the 74 inched no???

I think it's one of the biggest. Again, it's not mine, so I don't have all the specifics. I'll try to get a guesstimate of the length to you later this evening.

iversonm
02-28-2007, 05:25 PM
I think it's one of the biggest. Again, it's not mine, so I don't have all the specifics. I'll try to get a guesstimate of the length to you later this evening.

I put a tape on the roof of the car, and I'd guess the carrier is 74 to 78 inches in length.

NateXTR
02-28-2007, 07:18 PM
I have a Yakima set-up on the 3er; will put one on the X3 too. They work very well, are quiet and easy to remove.

The boxes range from 55" to 80" Thule and Yakima make the "boxes" in a multitude of sizes. Both companies use cubic feet to describe their sizes. IE Yakima makes the "Sky-Box" line in 1200, 1600, 1800 and 2100 (first two digits=cubic feet). If you are carrying skis or fishing poles, I would recommend either a 12 or 18 foot box. Size wise, on the X3, I would rock a 12; unless you really need extra space. The 16 cubic-foot boxes are the most popular and fit the X3 best, but are better suited for bulky items and not long loads.

Towers should cost around $130; the cross bars will run $50. Look for either a Yakima Lowrider or The Thule #450 foot kit. Yakima likes a 58***8221; load bar, Thule, a 50***8221;. One other thing to check out is a product from Thule called the ***8220;Castaway***8221; it is designed specifically for fishing poles.

Good Luck!

vern
03-01-2007, 08:25 AM
hey fellow x3 owners... i have the standard roof rails (i think thats wut u call them) on my 04 x3.... i love to go fishing and i hate always having to put my fishing poles and tackle box in the car (sand, smell, water= yuck) so i want to purchase a roof rack system but i dont want anything to look tacky... i saw one or two thule roof rack systems but im not sure if they will look nice... would really like if u guys could help me out wit wut i need as far as set up and as far as what maybe i should purchase... besides the roof rack i think i also need the rail tracks?? lil lost here :confused:
I also do quite a bit of fishing, Surf and Freah Water and live in NJ. I believe you have to give us more information to get your questions answered;
Whats the lenth of your rod ?
Are they one piece or two?
When I do any surf fishing with 10' or 12' one piece rods I just tie them to the existing roof racks 'without the reels, with strips of toweling.Tie them in away that won't damage you rack or rods.
You will never get a 10'or 12' rod in some of the boxs that is being suggested
Your break down rods just put them inside or tie them up on the racks the same way.
I've been doing it this way for many years with suv's or cars that have roof racks and it works for me. Good luck
cheers
vern

ub6ib9
03-01-2007, 09:20 AM
yeah i've seen the thule castaway rod holder... i think im actually just gonna do that instead of buying a whole carrier... as for ur question vern the biggest rod i have is a 13 ft. which breaks away in 2 pieces... so i should be able to break it and still put it away in the thule castaway box... many thanxs for all ur help and suggestions....:thumbup: