PDA

View Full Version : who's got the dirtiest winter car?

ChrisTO
01-14-2003, 01:27 PM
let's see em...

Mr. The Edge
01-14-2003, 01:37 PM

CD-55
01-14-2003, 01:40 PM
yikes, that is quite ugly!

Mathew
01-14-2003, 01:49 PM
not me

:angel:

Nick325xiT 5spd
01-14-2003, 01:54 PM
ff, or Alex325i won that contest a while ago. :p

Guest84
01-14-2003, 01:59 PM
ff had to be the winner, Minnesota winters and all....I don't think I'll post mine, freshly detailed 10 days ago and rained on once since. :)

ZBB 325Ci
01-14-2003, 02:03 PM
What does winter have to do with making cars dirtier?

(Remember, those of us in the sunbelt may not have experience with temperatures that stay below freezing for very long or with precipitation that isn't wet).

ChrisTO
01-14-2003, 02:03 PM
really..damn i missed that thread.

here's another beaute.
http://community.webshots.com/album/60706977TBgRwp

Originally posted by Nick325xiT 5spd
ff, or Alex325i won that contest a while ago. :p

ChrisTO
01-14-2003, 02:07 PM
enjoy it....i was in Miami last week and i was so jealous of owners down there with their pristine cars.

Originally posted by ZBB 325Ci

(Remember, those of us in the sunbelt may not have experience with temperatures that stay below freezing for very long or with precipitation that isn't wet).

Dr. Phil
01-14-2003, 02:21 PM
I should have taken a pic of mine the day after Christmas, it could have passed for Alpine White :yikes:

ZBB 325Ci
01-14-2003, 02:30 PM
Originally posted by ChrisTO
enjoy it....i was in Miami last week and i was so jealous of owners down there with their pristine cars.

I will... I hope to keep enjoying it, but my girlfriend is Canadian and there might be a time when she has an urge to get closer to home and I may have to agree... Even though she grew up in Toronto (mostly), most of her family is on the west coast now (Channel Islands, Vancouver and Whistler), so we'd probably end up someplace in the Pacific Northwest at some point.

Guest84
01-14-2003, 03:13 PM
Disqualified? (Taken moments ago after a bath)

F1Crazy
01-14-2003, 03:16 PM
Originally posted by Ripsnort
Disqualified? (Taken moments ago after a bath)

Wheel wells will do! :D

Artslinger
01-14-2003, 03:18 PM
Originally posted by ZBB 325Ci

Something called road salt. The stuff turns your beautiful shiny car into a white incrusted dirty mess. ChrisTO my car looks pretty much like yours today (don't have pics). After taking my car in for a handwash Saturday we received an inch of fresh snow today and the salt truck went wild with the salt, now my car is covered with that white shat.

Guest84
01-14-2003, 03:37 PM
Originally posted by F1Crazy
Wheel wells will do! :D

LOL! Someone who actually notices...yep, wheel wells are not done in the winter, fruitless with as much rain as we get. Spring time though, look out! :D

F1Crazy
01-14-2003, 03:55 PM
Originally posted by Ripsnort
LOL! Someone who actually notices...yep, wheel wells are not done in the winter, fruitless with as much rain as we get. Spring time though, look out! :D

From you I only expect perfection! :D

;)

ObD
01-14-2003, 05:03 PM
Your are gonna give the OCD crowd a heart attack. :thumbup: Got salt? :lmao:

Desertnate
01-15-2003, 12:03 AM
Originally posted by ObD
Your are gonna give the OCD crowd a heart attack. :thumbup: Got salt? :lmao:

I'm sure we have...that's why Alee hasn't said anything. He is passed out on the floor.

I don't have pictures, but I will hadd my description. Due to 3 weeks of almost non-stop frost, freezing rain, rain and snow, my TiAG 323 is alpine white on the sides and steel gray on the back. Kind of have the two-tone thing going.

Good thing about all the salt and gunk is that it covers break dust REALLY well. All the salt on my wheels makes them almost look the original color!

I am sure Patrick520i will probably have some inputs too with all the snow he has been getting.

Pete Teoh
01-15-2003, 06:38 AM
New BMW Individual colors: Stahlblau +Salzgrau + Schlammbraun

ff
01-15-2003, 07:30 AM
Bummer, should've taken a picture last night before I washed mine. It was so crusted with salt, that you could not tell it was a BMW.

They're using something different on the roads in MN this year. It seems like a much more fine-grained "salt"-product. When the roads are dry, you can watch behind you as you drive, and you're kicking up so much salt powder that is looks like you're driving down a dusty dirt road. Makes for a very dirty car.

Desertnate
01-15-2003, 07:52 AM
Originally posted by ff
Bummer, should've taken a picture last night before I washed mine. It was so crusted with salt, that you could not tell it was a BMW.

They're using something different on the roads in MN this year. It seems like a much more fine-grained "salt"-product. When the roads are dry, you can watch behind you as you drive, and you're kicking up so much salt powder that is looks like you're driving down a dusty dirt road. Makes for a very dirty car.

Is it uric acid (yes, uric as in urine)? Some places are starting to use that rather than salt because it works better, lasts longer, and if you put it down before the freeze the ground won't ice up. I know when I was in Korea they were starting to use it on the runways because it was applied as a dust/spray and wasn't something that would cause engine damage like a chunk of rock salt.

ChrisTO
01-15-2003, 08:23 AM
ya..many cities have started to use a finer kind of road deicer...much gentlier for the paint in terms of dings from salt chips. unfortunately Ontario still uses salt chips to deice the roads. paint chip damage all over the front end. i hate to see what all the dirt is hiding. :yikes:

and the silly thing is with the big salt chips/rocks they dance across the road into the storm sewer where it just pollutes the lake. with the finer stuff it stays on the road where it should be.

oh well...let's see some more pictures! :bigpimp: