PDA

View Full Version : What SUV's did you look at before buying an X5?


tgravo2
01-14-2003, 04:07 PM
My parents will be in the market soon for a new SUV and I want them to look at the X5, they have a Navigator right now (01) and they are not quite sure what to get. Any reason you chose an X5 over other SUV's? thanks for the info.

lonestar
01-14-2003, 08:39 PM
First of all, it's a BMW. Second, it handles better than anything else and "feels" a lot smaller than it is. Solid as a bank vault. The quality and workmanship is vastly superior to the Lincoln, plus it fits in the garage! I went from a 540i 6-spd to a 4.4i and I don't miss the sedan. The Lincoln will feel like a barge compared to the X5. The engine sounds awesome and is remarkably responsive. Just be sure and buy snow tires if you get the sports package with 19" rims (the only way to go IMHO). Good luck.

TD
01-14-2003, 08:44 PM
Forget the Navigator. It's just damn small for my 105 lb wife and 34 lb daughter.

I got me one of THESE-

http://poseur.4x4.org/futuresuv.jpg

Seriously, the E39 Touring has more cargo capacity, is more fuel efficient, handles better, and doesn't scream "LEMMING!!". Why would anyone ever get an X5? It doesn't go offroad and for on-road utility, the 5er wagon spanks it silly.

Ah..... IMAGE.

doeboy
01-14-2003, 11:37 PM
Originally posted by TD
Forget the Navigator. It's just damn small for my 105 lb wife and 34 lb daughter.

I got me one of THESE-

http://poseur.4x4.org/futuresuv.jpg


:yikes: Ok now THAT's no SUV but a REALLY ugly VAN.... :lmao: :D

If I were to see one driving around though, I'd be pretty scared... :eeps: Would it have to stop at the weigh stations along the highways?

tgravo2
01-15-2003, 09:56 AM
Originally posted by lonestar
First of all, it's a BMW. Second, it handles better than anything else and "feels" a lot smaller than it is. Solid as a bank vault. The quality and workmanship is vastly superior to the Lincoln, plus it fits in the garage! I went from a 540i 6-spd to a 4.4i and I don't miss the sedan. The Lincoln will feel like a barge compared to the X5. The engine sounds awesome and is remarkably responsive. Just be sure and buy snow tires if you get the sports package with 19" rims (the only way to go IMHO). Good luck.

I think thats what package they would be looking at, but I don't think they need snow tires, it has snowed here like once in the last 20 years.

PropellerHead
01-15-2003, 10:44 AM
What DIDN'T we drive? Lets see...

Lincoln Navi
Ferd Explosion (not a typo)
Caddy (Give us a break, the woman is nearly 70)
GMC, the big one (Sub-Urbanite) and the mid size one(?).
Merc- liked the 430.
Lesux
Acurate

Really, the Merc was the closest contender. In the end, it was the saftey ratings on the X5 versus the questionable reliability of the Merc that pushed us in the Bimmer direction.

As for why anyone would want an X5..

For 03, the 540i sport wagon MSRP is $5,000 MORE than a 4.4 X5. It'd take a lot of gas savings and resale to make that difference up. As many dealers have with the new ones, you may even find a wagon harder to sell than a used X5 which would make your wagon resale that much lower.

Some (in fact MORE) people just want the Sport Ute. Pure and simple. You cant throw facts in the face of emotion. Even the facts above aren't things that most consider when buying their X5.

Around here you'll find more GM and Ford crap than any Bimmers. The only thing that is nearly as exclusive as an X5 is the Merc. She still turns heads in her X5- two years later. It's a good lookin truck that gets better gas mileage (3.0- not an option in an '03 wagon) and is actually more exclusive around here when compared to the others.

JPinTO
01-15-2003, 11:12 AM
Originally posted by PropellerHead

Really, the Merc was the closest contender. In the end, it was the saftey ratings on the X5 versus the questionable reliability of the Merc that pushed us in the Bimmer direction.


I'm not sure what comparing the safety of the X5 vs the reliability of the ML means. The ML's are very safe vehicles.

The questionable reliability of the ML's were focused on the 98-99 model years. The biggest reliability issue was the fuel pump failures.

My father had a 99 ML320 and other than the fuel pump being replaced, it had no issues. My 2000 ML320 has been rock solid with 2 oil change visits in 3 years... ZERO build quality issues. My father has recently replaced his with an 03 ML350.

ML Build quality and reliability have improved significantly after the factory quality blitz in late 1999.

JPinTO
01-15-2003, 11:15 AM
Originally posted by PropellerHead
For 03, the 540i sport wagon MSRP is $5,000 MORE than a 4.4 X5. It'd take a lot of gas savings and resale to make that difference up. As many dealers have with the new ones, you may even find a wagon harder to sell than a used X5 which would make your wagon resale that much lower.


I keep running the numbers of 540iT vs X5 4.4 and they always come back X5. The space is identical on both vehicles... the on-road performance of the X5 4.4 with 19" wheels is fantastic. But it's the $'s that kill the iT both on initial purchase and on resale.

The E39's simply suck on depreciation... particularly the shaggin waggins. On the other hand, driving a lady mobile is a definite negative for the X5's (unless your a lady, of course). But I'd take the favorable financials over the image issue.

PropellerHead
01-15-2003, 12:46 PM
Originally posted by JPinTO
I'm not sure what comparing the safety of the X5 vs the reliability of the ML means. The ML's are very safe vehicles. I wasn't suggesting that the ML isnt safe. But the crash tests I looked at (Merc ML) (http://www.highwaysafety.org/vehicle_ratings/ce/html/99012.htm) indicated it was not as good- even if in only one area- as the (X5 tests) (http://www.highwaysafety.org/vehicle_ratings/ce/html/00023.htm) which scored best in all areas. I was just really really impressed with the crash test's on the X5. 99's or not, the questionable reliability history of the ML steered me away from it at the time. Granted, this was prior to the aux fan issue for the 3.0 Bimmers. Even then, my penchant for Bimmers and the differences (however slight) in the crash tests would send me to the X5.

bten
01-15-2003, 05:35 PM
I was driving a suburban and wanted something smaller. I looked at the GMC Envoy and was impressed until I drove the X5. I really wanted all wheel drive (a cajun in chicago needs this). I didn't like the look of the ML. I went to test drive the Acura MDX, but the salesman told me I could not test drive one on a saturday!

I will not beg someone to sell me a car!

The BMW dealership quickly got me a vehicle to drive, saying "we like test drives, the X5 sell itself" I couldn't agree more.

I had never driven a vehicle that handled so well. I already had an Rx300 (wife's car). It is very nice and rides smoothly. The steering was too light for me. Nothing else handles like a BMW. Besides, I didn't want two of the same vehicles.

tgravo2
01-16-2003, 09:32 AM
Originally posted by Ryan330Ci
Have they taken a look at the '03 Navigators? We just picked up a 4WD Navi for my wife, and the restyling cues, inside and out, are very nice.

They really like the 03 Navigators, but they want to drive an X5, the only thing that they would like the Navi for is the 3rd row power folding seats

JPinTO
01-16-2003, 10:54 AM
Originally posted by bten
I was driving a suburban and wanted something smaller. I looked at the GMC Envoy and was impressed until I drove the X5. I really wanted all wheel drive (a cajun in chicago needs this). I didn't like the look of the ML. I went to test drive the Acura MDX, but the salesman told me I could not test drive one on a saturday!

I will not beg someone to sell me a car!

The BMW dealership quickly got me a vehicle to drive, saying "we like test drives, the X5 sell itself" I couldn't agree more.

I had never driven a vehicle that handled so well. I already had an Rx300 (wife's car). It is very nice and rides smoothly. The steering was too light for me. Nothing else handles like a BMW. Besides, I didn't want two of the same vehicles.

True--- don't drive the X5 unless you are prepared to buy one.

Emission
02-06-2003, 06:04 PM
Others we looked at:

Volvo XC90
Honda Pilot EX-L

We came very close to purchasing an E39 525iT... but the back seat was 4 inches narrower than the X5.

Oh, a VW Touareg may have won the spot in the garage (my wife fell in love at the car show). Unfortunately, it is not available yet.

gr8330
02-06-2003, 06:41 PM
Drove a FX45 today...not bad. With the G35 and now the FX35/45 it looks like Infiniti is starting to come around.

FXFan
02-07-2003, 07:40 AM
We bought the FX45 over the X5 4.6, but the X5 was our second choice. If you need info about the FX, let me know, happy to help with what I can.

Click Here to See Monique! (http://www.smiley.net/fx45/)

Emission
02-07-2003, 07:52 AM
Originally posted by FXFan
We bought the FX45 over the X5 4.6, but the X5 was our second choice. If you need info about the FX, let me know, happy to help with what I can.

Click Here to See Monique! (http://www.smiley.net/fx45/)

Congrats, and welcome to the Board!

My wife and I passed an FX45 on the road today and she exclaimed "What was THAT?" :yikes: (She liked it.)

We've had two Infiniti's over the years.

JPinTO
02-07-2003, 07:58 AM
Originally posted by FXFan
We bought the FX45 over the X5 4.6, but the X5 was our second choice. If you need info about the FX, let me know, happy to help with what I can.

Click Here to See Monique! (http://www.smiley.net/fx45/)

Nice Wheels (Infiniti has finally arrived):

http://www.smiley.net/fx45/images/FX45%20053.jpg

Emission
02-07-2003, 08:43 AM
Originally posted by JPinTO
Nice Wheels (Infiniti has finally arrived):

http://www.smiley.net/fx45/images/FX45%20053.jpg

Yes, their wheels are nice, but their interiors are heading the wrong direction. I can't stand the G35 interior!

JPinTO
02-07-2003, 09:46 AM
Originally posted by Emission
Yes, their wheels are nice, but their interiors are heading the wrong direction. I can't stand the G35 interior!

The Exterior styling on that G35C is right on. Very simple, clean design. I'll have to check out the interior at the car show in a few weeks.

DrBimmer
02-07-2003, 10:10 AM
Originally posted by Emission
Yes, their wheels are nice, but their interiors are heading the wrong direction. I can't stand the G35 interior!

I was checking out a G35 coupe and FX35/45 (can't remember which one it was) last week, and I wasn't all that impressed. They look alright, but the interiors are very bland and, simply put, look very cheap.

The rear of the FX is way too high.... the cargo floor was way too high and I can just imagine someone trying to get something in there. This was also one of the only SUVs out there that I can say probably has less room than the X5 inside.

However, those wheels were HUGE!!!

FXFan
02-07-2003, 10:10 AM
You know I actually like the interior in the G35, although we have the black interior, not the faux platinum look center console. About the only thing I would suggest to Infiniti would be a little more leather on the dash surfaces. MY boxster has a full leather interior which means leather everywhere! Sit in the seats in the G35, they are VERY comfortable, much better than the Boxster seats. Controls are well laid out and easy to reach, I've really got no complaints other then I'd like to see more leather. :)

FXFan
02-07-2003, 10:12 AM
FYI, the FX45 actually has more interior and more cargo room than the X5. The pictures may be deceiving, check the stats on the web. :)


The FX interior is very nice, the real aluminum trim instead of painted plastic was a very nice touch and if you thought the G35 coupe seats were comfortable, wait until you sit in the FX!!!

(although the seat heaters could be a little warmer) :)

I realize the car isn't for everyone, but happy to share answers to any questions you might have about it.

Emission
02-07-2003, 10:15 AM
Originally posted by FXFan
"About the only thing I would suggest to Infiniti would be a little more leather on the dash surfaces. MY boxster has a full leather interior which means leather everywhere! "

My 930 also has the Full Leather option. Lucky for me, the previous owner took good care of it. I've seen many leather dashboards that don't look very good due to heat and UV damage (this is probably why a nice plastic dash is better than leather).

In my opinion, there are just too many flat expanses of plastic in the new Infiniti's. I also hate their steering wheels.

I love the outsides... just don't put me in the seats.

DrBimmer
02-07-2003, 10:15 AM
Originally posted by FXFan
FYI, the FX45 actually has more interior and more cargo room than the X5. The pictures may be deceiving, check the stats on the web. :)


The FX interior is very nice, the real aluminum trim instead of painted plastic was a very nice touch and if you thought the G35 coupe seats were comfortable, wait until you sit in the FX!!!

(although the seat heaters could be a little warmer) :)

I realize the car isn't for everyone, but happy to share answers to any questions you might have about it.

I did sit in it, and it was comfortable. The exterior styling is nice. The interior design is not what I am looking for in this kind of a car.... it just doesn't look like it belongs in a car that costs as much as it does.

The cargo area might be larger, I didn't actually look at the measurements, but it doesn't look like the space is as usable. I don't know... it just looked really tight in the cargo area, and the cargo floor was much higher than the other SUVs I also looked at. It might have more cubic footage, but the shape of the cargo area is not as good as the competition.

FXFan
02-07-2003, 11:32 AM
Could be, hard for me to say. I do have a picture of the back of our old RX300 compared to the FX45 both with hatches open if that helps.

DrBimmer
02-07-2003, 12:16 PM
Very noticable difference in the height of the cargo floor. Oh well... I'm sure its much more fun than the RX300, though!

http://www.smiley.net/fx45/images/FX45%20019.jpg

tgravo2
02-07-2003, 12:25 PM
Whats the base MSRP on those things. (FX45)

doeboy
02-07-2003, 12:28 PM
Is it just me, or are the tires on the FX fatter?

DrBimmer
02-07-2003, 12:30 PM
Originally posted by doeboy
Is it just me, or are the tires on the FX fatter?

The tires are HUGE..... I mean enormous!!!!

It has 20" wheels and massive tires. They make the rest of the car look insanely small.

FXFan
02-07-2003, 12:50 PM
Yep, what he said! Ginormous Tires! ;) Took it out in the snow on Weds, did great, was very pleased! Traction control only came on once.

So far load height has not been an issue for us with the FX, and was never an issue for us in the 3+ years we owned the RX, but I could see where it might be for some people. I don't have any stats on load height though, sorry. I guess I could measure it sometime and see.

gr8330
02-07-2003, 02:12 PM
Originally posted by DrBimmer
I did sit in it, and it was comfortable. The exterior styling is nice. The interior design is not what I am looking for in this kind of a car.... it just doesn't look like it belongs in a car that costs as much as it does.

The cargo area might be larger, I didn't actually look at the measurements, but it doesn't look like the space is as usable. I don't know... it just looked really tight in the cargo area, and the cargo floor was much higher than the other SUVs I also looked at. It might have more cubic footage, but the shape of the cargo area is not as good as the competition.

I agree with you on the design of the cargo area, but what I'm looking for is a little more utility then my coupe and still have a sporty look. The interior isnt that bad except when I compare it to my wifes Lexus. The interior in my coupe isn't a showcase either. I'm going to wait untill I find out if BMW is going to add HP to the 6 in MY04, and if not then I will start hunting for the best choice I can find.

Emission
02-07-2003, 03:02 PM
Hey FX,

I love the color of the leather on your new Infiniti. How about an interior shot?

The RX300 used to be the 'bubble' SUV. The RX makes it look angular!

- Mike