PDA

View Full Version : Should I get the Sport Package?

MN2828
02-27-2007, 04:25 PM
I am considering buying a 535i. I am also looking at the A6 and MB350/320 and currently drive an A6.

Here is my dilemma. I would like to get a 535i with the sport package (prefer the ride, the look -- bigger wheels and no chrome around the windows -- and the seats) but I am concerned about the tires. The dealer told me to expect about 20,000 miles out of the performance runflats that come with the sport package and to expect to pay about $300 per tire to replace them. Another dealer told me 30,000 miles and $200/tire. As I drive about 20,000 miles a year, dropping $1,200 on tires every year is not real high on my list of fun things to do with my money. I have also read horror stories about the runflats (lucky to get 9,000 miles etc) but these stories seem to be older.

So here are my questions.

In terms of performance, how big a difference does the sport package make? Although tested a 530i with and without the sport package, the tests were at different dealerships over different road and weather conditions.

Are the tire problems overstated? Can I replace the tires with non-runflats without changing the rims without compromising safety?

Any idea if the sport package seats are available outside of the sport package?

Will these seats be standard for the 2008?

The dealerships that I have been dealing with won't even discuss the 2008s with me and keep trying to get me to buy a 530i in color and equipment combinations that I don't want.

mdsbuc
02-27-2007, 04:49 PM
For me, the sport pkg provides an unbelievable difference in handling.

At 30,000 miles, my service technician at the dealership told me my tread wear was down 1/2 between new and bald.

I replaced two tires when I had a broken belt in one, but believe I could have gotten close to 40,000 miles otherwise. I wouldn't go without the sport pkg.

BTW, I see this is your first post. Welcome to the fest!

**edit** My tires are the Bridgestone Potenzas.

okiemark
02-27-2007, 04:49 PM
I am considering buying a 535i. I am also looking at the A6 and MB350/320 and currently drive an A6.

Here is my dilemma. I would like to get a 535i with the sport package (prefer the ride, the look -- bigger wheels and no chrome around the windows -- and the seats) but I am concerned about the tires. The dealer told me to expect about 20,000 miles out of the performance runflats that come with the sport package and to expect to pay about $300 per tire to replace them. Another dealer told me 30,000 miles and $200/tire. As I drive about 20,000 miles a year, dropping $1,200 on tires every year is not real high on my list of fun things to do with my money. I have also read horror stories about the runflats (lucky to get 9,000 miles etc) but these stories seem to be older.

In terms of performance, how big a difference does the sport package make? Although tested a 530i with and without the sport package, the tests were at different dealerships over different road and weather conditions.

Are the tire problems overstated? Can I replace the tires with non-runflats without changing the rims without compromising safety?

The dealerships that I have been dealing with won't even discuss the 2008s with me and keep trying to get me to buy a 530i in color and equipment combinations that I don't want.

1) The sport package has a different feel.
2) I can only judge by my 2005 545i ZSP where the Dunlop run flats wore out by 11000 mi, and I note Bridgestones are recommended now (with what I replaced the OE). The active steering on the sport suspension has much to do with this, apparently. Maybe someone with a 2006 ZSP can comment differently.
3) I would expect the sport package to remain with special seats and steering wheel
4) of course the dealerships want to sell the current year car, but there is some thought that the later part of the year produces better cars. I have had no problems (except tires) with my later year (May 2005 delivered in June) car. They spiff problems that come up early in the production year.

Go for the sport package!:thumbup:

Me530
02-27-2007, 04:52 PM

The sport package seats are the multicountour seats. Get them whether or not you get the sport package, they are well worth it.

mdsbuc
02-27-2007, 04:54 PM
The sport package seats are the multicountour seats. Get them whether or not you get the sport package, they are well worth it.
+1 :thumbup:

Tanin
02-27-2007, 10:58 PM

First off..... Welcome to Bimmerfest. This site can be a great source for information and even greater podium for personal opinion. I highly encourage you to drive each vehicle with and without the options you mentioned and order the one you like. If your dealer is unwilling to take the time and energy necessary for you to make an educated purchase, find one that will. The 535 will be an awesome chasis and engine so find a dealer that will listen and wait for your perfect E60.

BTW
Yes - the tire problem is overstated
Yes - you can change the tires without changing the wheels without safety issues
Yes- You should get the Sport Package :angel:

jbcritch
02-28-2007, 05:15 AM
Would not buy a BMW w/o the sports package. My butt dyno tells me it feels sluggish without it...:eeps:

Rubber Ducky
02-28-2007, 06:57 AM
What they all said...

Concern yourself not with harsher handling. I have 550i with SP and find it smooth as silk. Well worth every dollar.

Pjuran
02-28-2007, 07:17 AM
Me too. Just took delivery of a 2007 550 w Sports Pack on Monday. Rider is smoother than my A4. So far so good!

525iEnjoy
02-28-2007, 08:09 AM
I would say keep the 3K and get the Koni,H&R, Bilstein, KW coil over or sport dampners for a lot less! Finance the sport wheel package then you'll be on your way!

As far as tires go you can get them for 120ea plus mounting. Example I had 245/40/18 on my weekend car and I purchased the Falken zx512's and they lasted me 15K miles including trips too the track, burnouts etc..Dont sweat the tire issue. Run flats are an option, Make sure you dont go lower than a V speed rating

danna
02-28-2007, 08:14 AM
Tell me why you say the tire problem is overstated. (seriously, i hope you're right)

My '05 sport 545i had severe tire wear at 14,000 on just a one inch strip at the very interior edge of the tire. I did not notice any road noise or vibration. But I sure as hell noticed it when the tire wore all the way through (made a huge hole) while I was taking an agressive turn and came REALLY close to loosing control of the car in a bad way.

BMW replaced all four, but I'm worried that this is going to be a permanent issue w/ this car. (which I otherwise adore, btw)

von_zoom
02-28-2007, 11:35 AM
Welcome to this site. First, I am prejudiced toward BMWs. I currently own two, both with SP and other goodies. Would not want them equiped anyother way. Most of your questions have been addressed. My only comment with regard to tire ware is you will get mileage based solely on HOW you drive. Drive agressively, and mileage will not be favorable. Drive reasonably, and you gain longevity - pure and simple, the same as with any car. If you are looking for long time tire ware, consider a Prius or simular. :) I recommend the 535i equiped to go and perform. Best of luck.
vz

mullman
02-28-2007, 11:47 AM
For me, the sport pkg provides an unbelievable difference in handling. I wouldn't go without the sport pkg.

+1 :thumbup: It's a BMW...

Currently at 13K miles with well over half tread left.

obi.wan
02-28-2007, 01:34 PM

The seats are just great. The thigh support sticks out and don't care much for how it looks but it works

bargamon
02-28-2007, 02:40 PM
IT got non sport with comfort seat.

I have MT and like a "sport:" type car.

I love the standard setup! Its pure subjective. Those with sport love theirs but I have to chime in and say I am very happy with the stock set up. IT handles great and is very good over the bumps.

You must drive both and determine which you prefer.

This car is amazingly buttoned down in any configuration and you will be happy.

I have a 530 and find the engine is more powerful than the 2.7audi (mt) I came out of.

Much smoother!

I thought the runflats were rougher and did not want to deal with premature tire noise. I have been there a few times and hate tire changes at 15k! $1200+ tire changes are not very cool in my book.

I did not want the artificial feel of the active suspension either. I find the level of lean on the standard not to be an issue at all. This is not a caprice classic with 200k miles on it!

I took both sport and non sport on my commute and found the sport was tighter in the corners, but I could feel more of the road. Thats great while the tires are new, but at 10k ithey begin to degrade. The regular suspension was tight but I felt in a way worked better for this car.

I had tested a 335 with sport and would have gone that route. Why? THey all have runflats first of all. Second, I felt that car was a different animal all together. Smaller and more nimble is seemed more natural to set it up as a "Sport".

To me, sport in the 530i kinda degrades the suspension components which are different than the 335 set up. Its a lighter set up and to me just was perfect.

This is just me of course and in the end we all end up with what we want around here.

tjgolden
03-04-2007, 03:46 PM
Ok, I've heard enough. I'm getting a ED 535i for my wife (57 years old and hates speed). I ordered a non-sport model, just nav, premium, cold weather. In my case, what would be the benefits of a sport model? It is not to late to change.

stevepow
03-04-2007, 04:05 PM
Ok, I've heard enough. I'm getting a ED 535i for my wife (57 years old and hates speed). I ordered a non-sport model, just nav, premium, cold weather. In my case, what would be the benefits of a sport model? It is not to late to change.

Get the SEATS!!!! either way - they are so worth it - with heating and ventilation is also VERY nice.

Tanin
03-04-2007, 05:09 PM

Curious why you chose the BMW if you wife isn't looking for sporty? Audi and Lexus would be on the top of my list if I was looking for a mid size, creature comfort sedan.

tjgolden
03-04-2007, 05:53 PM
Curious why you chose the BMW if you wife isn't looking for sporty? Audi and Lexus would be on the top of my list if I was looking for a mid size, creature comfort sedan.

We already have a Lexus. She "always wanted a BMW". Anyway, it is a great manufacturer and it does't have to be sporty.

jagu
03-04-2007, 06:49 PM
If it's for your wife who does not like speed, then the only benefit of the sport package would be the comfort seats but you can get that as a stand alone option which I highly recommend.
Also, if speed is not a big concern, I think the 528 will be more than adequate.

tjgolden
03-04-2007, 06:59 PM
Also, if speed is not a big concern, I think the 528 will be more than adequate.

I agree, but I let her pick it out and she chose the 535i. Go figure! It's my job to pick packages and options.

BmW745On19's
03-04-2007, 07:07 PM
Hell yes, get it.

royz86
03-06-2007, 12:08 AM
you SHOULD... you'll appreciate the 20-way comfort seats AND the sport steering wheel... i regret myself for not getting sports package...

NASA43
03-06-2007, 05:32 AM
Absolutely get the Sport package. On the 535i, you will get the same staggered wheel config that's on the 07 550i. Plus as noted you get comfort seats, sport steering wheel, lowered suspension, black trim around the windows, active roll. :thumbup:

dkotanto
03-06-2007, 08:51 PM
My wife is the same way. I just got her a 530i with auto, Premium, NAV, Cold Weather packages and rear heated seats. She loves the car. As far as seats go, I drove the car for 2000 miles (yes, that is correct) in the last couple of weeks and all I can say is it was one of the most pleasant and comfortable rides I have ever done. The standard seats were very comfortable but I cannot compare to the multicontour seats as I've never sat on them.

jcatral14
03-07-2007, 10:56 AM
YES!
With the stuff that you get with the package, it's worth it.

MN2828
03-08-2007, 04:58 PM
To round out this thread, I ordered my 535i earlier this week. I ended up not getting the sport package but I did get the multicontour seats.

After reading all of your comments and speaking to several additional dealers, it looks like I would be replacing tires every year. I just know that having to take the car in once a year for tires would really tick me off and diminish my enjoyment of the car. So, I kept the extra $1,600 in my pocket. Kind of bummed about the shadow line trim though.

Thanks to everyone who responded. I appreciate all of your comments, experiences and opinions.

AzNMpower32
03-08-2007, 05:22 PM
To round out this thread, I ordered my 535i earlier this week. I ended up not getting the sport package but I did get the multicontour seats.

After reading all of your comments and speaking to several additional dealers, it looks like I would be replacing tires every year. I just know that having to take the car in once a year for tires would really tick me off and diminish my enjoyment of the car. So, I kept the extra $1,600 in my pocket. Kind of bummed about the shadow line trim though.

Thanks to everyone who responded. I appreciate all of your comments, experiences and opinions.

Congrats on the purchase, and welcome to the 'Fest! Either way with or w/o the sport, the 535i will still handle very well. I dunno, maybe you can buy the shadowline trim.........you used to be able to on the older BMWs but I'm not sure if there's anything for the E60.

dubseller
07-10-2008, 09:32 PM
I have the sports package on a '04 530i but I don't have the multi contour seats! I want them now!

Axeman
07-11-2008, 05:23 AM
+1 :thumbup:

+1 to the +1 :thumbup: :thumbup: If you are any type of a driving enthusiast (assumed so since you are posting on the board), you will regret it if you don't get it.

jmsod
07-11-2008, 06:06 AM
Don't worry about the tires. I am amazed by how many 5 I see without the sports package. I simply would never buy a BMW without the SP.
Good luck with your decision.

jmsod
07-11-2008, 06:09 AM

It will still be a great car.... ENJOY.
Do you drive 20+K miles /year? I drive 12-13K miles per year which means I will have to change the tires probably just once during my 3 year lease. A small price to pay for better looks and handling IMO.

BimmerRules!
07-11-2008, 06:16 AM
To the last four responses (from #29): you realize that you were posting on a thread that was last active more than year ago - March 07 - , right? :)

drizzy
07-12-2008, 12:52 PM
The one thing that MN2828 kept asking was about tire replacement and only a few of you even addressed the issue. Bottom line is that RUN FLATS SUCK. Don't replace them with run flats. Go to tirerack.com or another internet tire site and search around for the best tires at the best price. Get yourself a can of fix a flat and call it a day. Besides you have road side if it really gets bad. BMW and Porsche went to run flats to get rid of the wieght of a spare tire. Porsche got smart a year later and dumped them and replaced them with a can of fix a flat. Eventually BMW will get smart and dump them as well. You can't repare them at all! If you get a nail you spend $250 on a new tire. God forbid that happens while the matching tire is 1/2 gone cause now you are out $500.

jesimmons
07-12-2008, 01:09 PM
It will still be a great car.... ENJOY.

+1.. I got my 535i without sport, but did get the multi contour seats. So far no regrets. The non-sport 535i handles very well (and a huge step up in performance and handling from my 11 year old Volvo). However I must admit I didn't buy the 535i for back country winding road or track use, so the sport suspension wasn't as high on my priority list as NOT having RFT's.

I suspect it would have been a no brainer to get the SP had the RFT tire package NOT been part of it. I had made my mind up NOT to have RFT tires and no way was I going to pay extra to have them swapped out.

giantswin22
07-12-2008, 04:38 PM
i had a 2008 535i without sports package that was totaled nice car loved it. i replaced it with a 535i with the sports package. night and day difference in the car. great call on getting the seats, thats the biggest difference but the handling is also different. its like a different car. i would highly recommend the sports package

Kamdog
07-12-2008, 06:08 PM
My wife hates the comfort seats. She has not got the patience to get it exactly right, and she is always out of sync with it. Then she yells at me when I try to get her to fiddle with it enough to get it exact.

Mysticblue325i
07-12-2008, 06:18 PM
To the last four responses (from #29): you realize that you were posting on a thread that was last active more than year ago - March 07 - , right? :)
Ha ha, that's funny, I was just about to comment on that too.:)

BimmerRules!
07-13-2008, 08:58 AM
Ha ha, that's funny, I was just about to comment on that too.:)

And, the thread continues to have responses after my query! Go figure!! :dunno:

In a way, it would be good because prospective buyers still undecided about sports package can get some extra info. :)

jesimmons
07-13-2008, 09:14 AM
Ha... So when is BMW going to wake up and smell the roses and get rid of the RFT's. Then more people will get the SP... In the end its a win-win for BMW and the customer. :dunno:

TMQ
07-13-2008, 09:31 AM
Seems that RFTs will be a BMW thing for a while. However, on the 5 it isn't as bad/harsh as the 3, and you get a spare in the back.

I didn't get the sports package because the car was delivered in the middle of winter and swapping out the tires when the dealer was 200 miles away from home seemed a lot of hassle. However, I wish I had asked the dealer about getting all season tires instead, and maybe the $600 difference in tires could be negotiated. Two events lead me to believe the sports package is a must:

1. Susan Korman Cancer Drive: I tested a 5 with the sports package. (I also test a Z4 and 135i convertible)
2. I just went to the local BMWCCA car control clinic.

The 5 felt quite big in the CCC exercises. The sports suspension and ARS would have helped a lot. The steering wheel on the standard model is also too big - when you are frequently changing directions on a slalom course, the smaller/fatter sports steering wheel would make it easier. I love the M steering wheel on the 135i.

Of course, at least I had the sense to get the multi contour seats.