PDA

View Full Version : 2007 525i - High Battery Drain Warning Message

jepicone
02-28-2007, 04:02 PM
Hi, All:

I just bought a 2007 BMW 525i (on Jan 26, 2007). It has about 800 miles today on it as of today, Feb 28, 2007. I have been driving it Thursdays, Fridays and all weekend to keep the mileage on this BMW down for now (56 miles RT commute. I still have my old car.)

Anyway on Thursday, Jan. 22, when I had not driven it for 3 days, I had to re-set the clock (only dashes were being displayed). The next day I got my first "High Battery Drain" message in the morning and in the evening. Same message Saturday morning. So, I tried the old letting the engine run, idling it for 45 minutes. That night, no message. Sunday morning, the "High Battery Drain" message. Didn't drive it Monday. Tuesday, the "High Battery Drain" message appeared. Each time if I start and stop the engine once, the message doesn't come back. Didn't drive it today, Wednesday but will do so tomorrow,

The dealer said that not driving the car discharges the battery enough for this message to appear. So, if I go on a busines trip for 3-4 days, when I come back, the "High Battery Drain" message will be there. He also said, if I don't lock the car, the computer can't go to sleep so the battery will drain. This just sounds not normal to be. Even though the dealer is going to look at the car next week, I need to know: is this normal or. . .?

What concerns me is that car is running off a computer which is running off the battery. So, not enough of a charged battery = no computer = car doesn't go.

Sorry for the long-winded message. Anyone who has any info, please let me know.

BTW, I have iDrive and Xenon headlights but not the key where you can just touch the handle to open it.

Thanks.

John

vegastrashed
02-28-2007, 06:20 PM
This is not normal. As usual the dealer does not know what he is talking about. I don't drive my car for 5 days at a time, sometimes 2 weeks. I don't lock my car in my garage. I've never had the "High battery Drain" warning message. Your problem is software related. Show this to your dealer:
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

SI B 61 06 05
General Electrical Systems September 2005
Technical Service

This Service Information bulletin supersedes S.I. B61 06 05 dated August 2005.

designates changes to this revision

SUBJECT
"High Battery Drain" Message in CID

MODEL
E60/E61 (5 Series) with N52 engine.

SITUATION
A check control message "High battery drain, increased battery discharging while stopped, vehicle may not start" is shown in the CID (Central Information Display) when starting the car.

Fault code 2DED "Power management, closed circuit current monitoring" is stored in the MSV70 DME (Digital Motor Electronics).

The vehicle starts every time, and there are no other symptoms of low battery problems.

CAUSE
The closed circuit current momentarily exceeds its threshold value when the TCU wakes up to perform the "Stolen Vehicle Recovery" function. This should not cause a discharged battery.

CORRECTION
Do not replace parts. Reprogram the vehicle using CIP 19.01 or later. Refer to SI B09 05 01 (Coding, Coding and Individualization), Procedure B.

If the battery is low, then the customer may have an additional problem causing the battery to go down. In this case, carry out additional troubleshooting to identify and correct the root cause.

or this one

SI B 61 12 05
General Electrical Systems November 2005
Technical Service

This Service Information bulletin supersedes S.M. B61 203 05 dated April 1, 2005.

SUBJECT
Dead Battery Caused By MPM

MODEL
E60/E61 (5 Series), E63/E64 (6 Series) produced up to September 2005

CAUSE
An accessory plugged into the cigar lighter / power supply causes a back-feed of voltage into the vehicle electrical system when the ignition is switched off. This causes the MPM (Micro Power Module) to stay awake, and the vehicle battery to discharge.

Energy diagnosis identifies the MPM as the "sleep mode preventer".

CORRECTION
In case of customer complaint, verify that the customer uses the power supply for an accessory with an internal battery (cell phone with charger, MP3 player, radio equipment etc.) and that he leaves the accessory plugged in when the car is switched off.

To avoid a recurrence of the problem, reprogram the vehicle using CIP19.1, or later. Refer to SI B09 05 01 (Coding, Individualization and Programming) Procedure B.

WARRANTY INFORMATION
Covered under the terms of the BMW New Vehicle Limited Warranty.

Defect Code
Refer to KSD

Labor Operation:
Refer to KSD

Labor Allowance:
Refer to KSD

or this one

SI B 61 13 05
General Electrical Systems December 2005
Technical Service

This Service Information bulletin supersedes S.M. B61 202 05 dated March 22, 2005.

SUBJECT
Dead Battery - Perform Energy Diagnosis

MODEL
E60/E61 (5 Series), E63/E64 (6 Series), E65/E66 (7 Series) from 3/2004, E90/E91 (3 Series)

SITUATION
The car will not start, the battery is dead and no obvious cause could be detected.

CAUSE
Possible causes are:

Vehicle fault:

Battery fault/alternator fault

Vehicle is not entering sleep mode

Vehicle is constantly woken out of sleep mode

Closed-circuit current is too high

Operating fault:

Lights/hazard warning lamps left on for too long

Terminal R/15 left on for too long

Unfavorable driving profile (e.g. extremely short distances)

Vehicle parked for too long

PROCEDURE
If there is no obvious cause for the dead battery, Energy Diagnostics must be carried out using GT1/DISplus after the battery has been recharged or replaced. This is most important:

To ensure that the customer does not suffer a repeat battery problem

So that FASTA data can be used by BMW engineers to further improve the product.

After suffering a dead battery, "Energy Diagnosis" will automatically show up in the "Diagnostic Test Plan" after the completion of a "Short Test"

Note: The vehicle must have had a dead battery before Energy Diagnosis can be performed. Also, fault codes must not be deleted.

In the unusual case where Energy Diagnosis is not shown automatically, the test module can be accessed via the following path: Function selection / Complete Vehicle / Body / Power supply / Energy Diagnosis.

The objective of Energy Diagnosis is to determine the most likely cause of the battery discharge. After completion of Energy Diagnosis, carry out additional troubleshooting/repairs as recommended by the test module.

A functional description of Energy Diagnosis and terminal control, together with troubleshooting information, can be found in the Energy Diagnosis test module.

Additional troubleshooting tips can be found in SI B61 08 00 Closed Circuit Current Measurement.

crash8168
02-28-2007, 07:13 PM
This is not normal. As usual the dealer does not know what he is talking about. I don't drive my car for 5 days at a time, sometimes 2 weeks. I don't lock my car in my garage. I've never had the "High battery Drain" warning message. Your problem is software related. Show this to your dealer:
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

SI B 61 06 05
General Electrical Systems September 2005
Technical Service

This Service Information bulletin supersedes S.I. B61 06 05 dated August 2005.

designates changes to this revision

SUBJECT
"High Battery Drain" Message in CID

MODEL
E60/E61 (5 Series) with N52 engine.

SITUATION
A check control message "High battery drain, increased battery discharging while stopped, vehicle may not start" is shown in the CID (Central Information Display) when starting the car.

Fault code 2DED "Power management, closed circuit current monitoring" is stored in the MSV70 DME (Digital Motor Electronics).

The vehicle starts every time, and there are no other symptoms of low battery problems.

CAUSE
The closed circuit current momentarily exceeds its threshold value when the TCU wakes up to perform the "Stolen Vehicle Recovery" function. This should not cause a discharged battery.

CORRECTION
Do not replace parts. Reprogram the vehicle using CIP 19.01 or later. Refer to SI B09 05 01 (Coding, Coding and Individualization), Procedure B.

If the battery is low, then the customer may have an additional problem causing the battery to go down. In this case, carry out additional troubleshooting to identify and correct the root cause.

or this one

SI B 61 12 05
General Electrical Systems November 2005
Technical Service

This Service Information bulletin supersedes S.M. B61 203 05 dated April 1, 2005.

SUBJECT
Dead Battery Caused By MPM

MODEL
E60/E61 (5 Series), E63/E64 (6 Series) produced up to September 2005

CAUSE
An accessory plugged into the cigar lighter / power supply causes a back-feed of voltage into the vehicle electrical system when the ignition is switched off. This causes the MPM (Micro Power Module) to stay awake, and the vehicle battery to discharge.

Energy diagnosis identifies the MPM as the "sleep mode preventer".

CORRECTION
In case of customer complaint, verify that the customer uses the power supply for an accessory with an internal battery (cell phone with charger, MP3 player, radio equipment etc.) and that he leaves the accessory plugged in when the car is switched off.

To avoid a recurrence of the problem, reprogram the vehicle using CIP19.1, or later. Refer to SI B09 05 01 (Coding, Individualization and Programming) Procedure B.

WARRANTY INFORMATION
Covered under the terms of the BMW New Vehicle Limited Warranty.

Defect Code
Refer to KSD

Labor Operation:
Refer to KSD

Labor Allowance:
Refer to KSD

or this one

SI B 61 13 05
General Electrical Systems December 2005
Technical Service

This Service Information bulletin supersedes S.M. B61 202 05 dated March 22, 2005.

SUBJECT
Dead Battery - Perform Energy Diagnosis

MODEL
E60/E61 (5 Series), E63/E64 (6 Series), E65/E66 (7 Series) from 3/2004, E90/E91 (3 Series)

SITUATION
The car will not start, the battery is dead and no obvious cause could be detected.

CAUSE
Possible causes are:

Vehicle fault:

Battery fault/alternator fault

Vehicle is not entering sleep mode

Vehicle is constantly woken out of sleep mode

Closed-circuit current is too high

Operating fault:

Lights/hazard warning lamps left on for too long

Terminal R/15 left on for too long

Unfavorable driving profile (e.g. extremely short distances)

Vehicle parked for too long

PROCEDURE
If there is no obvious cause for the dead battery, Energy Diagnostics must be carried out using GT1/DISplus after the battery has been recharged or replaced. This is most important:

To ensure that the customer does not suffer a repeat battery problem

So that FASTA data can be used by BMW engineers to further improve the product.

After suffering a dead battery, "Energy Diagnosis" will automatically show up in the "Diagnostic Test Plan" after the completion of a "Short Test"

Note: The vehicle must have had a dead battery before Energy Diagnosis can be performed. Also, fault codes must not be deleted.

In the unusual case where Energy Diagnosis is not shown automatically, the test module can be accessed via the following path: Function selection / Complete Vehicle / Body / Power supply / Energy Diagnosis.

The objective of Energy Diagnosis is to determine the most likely cause of the battery discharge. After completion of Energy Diagnosis, carry out additional troubleshooting/repairs as recommended by the test module.

A functional description of Energy Diagnosis and terminal control, together with troubleshooting information, can be found in the Energy Diagnosis test module.

Additional troubleshooting tips can be found in SI B61 08 00 Closed Circuit Current Measurement.

his car should already be past version 19. i agree he as a problem though, something is waking the car up probably.

vegastrashed
02-28-2007, 08:48 PM
Of course, you're right. The latest Progman either 24 or 25. Something is indeed waking up the car and draining the battery. He should insist the dealership look into it and have it resolved.

jepicone
03-01-2007, 06:53 PM
Thank you both ! ! !

The dealer is going to look at it next week. I was charging my cell phone in the cigarette lighter but I stopped that last week when I started getting the "High Battery Drain" message. I hope that was not it. I mean, after all, I did that in my old car and had no problem.

John

XMN
03-01-2007, 06:56 PM
What dealership are you using, South Bay BMW in Torrance is very familiar with that problem if it is within your reach.

Be easy

Rick

jepicone
03-02-2007, 12:56 PM
Cool!

That's my dealer!!! In fact, this is where I bought it.

The problem is persisting to this day and I am sort of bummed about about this occuring less than 30 day of ownership.

However, they are supposed to come Tuesday, March 6, pick up my car and provide me with a loaner.

Thanks for letting me know that I have selected a knowledgeable dealer. That helps.

John

MSAMMY
03-04-2007, 08:58 PM
That's a weird problem and please lean on the dealer to fix it. My 550i is garaged for the winter (unlocked), only started twice in the past 3 months and I've never seen that message. Please post an update when your dealer diags the problem - we're all curious about this one! :eek:

jepicone
03-07-2007, 05:02 PM
OK. They said it was the Comfort Control software. They reprogrammed / re-installed / re-initialized the Comfort Control software. It look about 3 hours to complete.

If the software was not the problem then they were going to replace the Comfort Control hardware. I assume that is a chip.

They say the BMW factory recommends purchasing and using a trickler charger if you don't use the car for three days straight. I found out the cost is about $70 plus tax. They have one for non-mechanics like me that plugs into the interior DC power outlets (the cigarette lighter type outlets).

"They" are South Bay BMW located in Torrance, CA. Excellent customer service, so far.

John

w5lx
03-07-2007, 05:11 PM
OK. They said it was the Comfort Control software. They reprogrammed / re-installed / re-initialized the Comfort Control software. It look about 3 hours to complete.

If the software was not the problem then they were going to replace the Comfort Control hardware. I assume that is a chip.

They say the BMW factory recommends purchasing and using a trickler charger if you don't use the car for three days straight. I found out the cost is about $70 plus tax. They have one for non-mechanics like me that plugs into the interior DC power outlets (the cigarette lighter type outlets).

"They" are South Bay BMW located in Torrance, CA. Excellent customer service, so far.

John

That is amazing. I sometimes don't drive my car for 2-3 WEEKS with no problems like you describe. I'm on my 3nd BMW and have never required a charger every 3 days. What exactly is the "Comfort Control hardware?" Are you referring to Comfort Access or the heating/cooling system? This is the 1st problem of this type I have read about.

jepicone
03-07-2007, 06:29 PM
That is amazing. I sometimes don't drive my car for 2-3 WEEKS with no problems like you describe. I'm on my 3nd BMW and have never required a charger every 3 days. What exactly is the "Comfort Control hardware?" Are you referring to Comfort Access or the heating/cooling system? This is the 1st problem of this type I have read about.

They didn't specify what the "Comfort Control hardware" was other than it being a chip (and I had to ask). I assumed it was the heating and cooling but that is just my guess.
Here is what they wrote on the report (verbatim):

"Concern 51: Customer states veh. displays high battery drain check and advise.

Cause: Customer driving behavior

Correction: Recomment using trickle charger. See attached puma case. Checked faults. Found multiple undervoltage faults. Sent fasta data and puma case. Was told to advise customer to use a trickle charger"

Now that I look at it, whoever wrote the report seems to be blaming me as the case of the problem rather than even mentioning the internal "Comfort Control" hardware/software problem.

One more thing: the BMW has electronic monitors for oils, tire pressure, brake wear and you name it. The only one it doesn't have is an indicator for battery charge level. Why did they leave a battery charge level indicator out when all the car functions including the computer that runs the car runs off the battery?

Sorry to be so long-winded.

John

vegastrashed
03-07-2007, 10:44 PM
Absolute bs from the dealer. Trickle charger? There are a lot of people that don't drive their e60 for days or weeks and don't have the high battery drain problem.

The dealer is implying that as a result of you not driving the car on a daily basis is the reason for the problem. That is incorrect. Something is wrong with the car.

They didn't specify what the "Comfort Control hardware" was other than it being a chip (and I had to ask). I assumed it was the heating and cooling but that is just my guess.
Here is what they wrote on the report (verbatim):

"Concern 51: Customer states veh. displays high battery drain check and advise.

Cause: Customer driving behavior

Correction: Recomment using trickle charger. See attached puma case. Checked faults. Found multiple undervoltage faults. Sent fasta data and puma case. Was told to advise customer to use a trickle charger"

Now that I look at it, whoever wrote the report seems to be blaming me as the case of the problem rather than even mentioning the internal "Comfort Control" hardware/software problem.

One more thing: the BMW has electronic monitors for oils, tire pressure, brake wear and you name it. The only one it doesn't have is an indicator for battery charge level. Why did they leave a battery charge level indicator out when all the car functions including the computer that runs the car runs off the battery?

Sorry to be so long-winded.

John

waiting
03-08-2007, 04:27 AM
I couldn't agree more with jiio. They gotta be kidding. Where do you "plug" in a trickle charger when you leave your car at the airport for a few days? Get a life BMW. We aren't servants to your bad design. There is a problem with the sleep circuitry in this car.

Hold their feet to the fire if you continue to get this message.

jepicone
03-08-2007, 10:04 AM
jio and waiting:

You both must be right. All I did last night was drive my car from work to home (26 miles), locked it and closed the garage. This morning the SAME "High Battery Drain" error message appeared when I started the car. Obviously, I did nothing wrong -- so the dealer can't blame it on me this time!

So, the car gets one more trip back to the dealer.

w5lx
03-08-2007, 10:43 AM
I am not a mechanic nor an electrician, but I have expeienced a battery with a dead cell that would not hold a charge...it exhibited some of the same symtoms as yours. I would suggest they replace the battery as a starting point. If that doesn't work, you definately have something that is draining the battery rapidly. Even an open door or lightbulb would not drain the battery that fast. Please keep us informed of the results.