PDA

View Full Version : E60 may hit the market in July 2003

Alex Baumann
01-15-2003, 07:59 AM
According to insider information, the upcoming 5 Series may hit the market in July and not, as expected, in September 2003 on the IAA in Frankfurt.

To the question the BMW Press Department didn't want to acknowledge it and said 'Well, the summer in Bayern starts in May and ends in September'

Mr. The Edge
01-15-2003, 08:02 AM
wow, that means production would start in June, huh?

Alex Baumann
01-15-2003, 08:03 AM
Originally posted by atyclb
wow, that means production would start in June, huh?

If they want to deliver the first cars to the dealers, yes, they need to start the production in June.

I know that (from reliable sources) that they have already started the test production. :eeps:

jzdinan540i
01-15-2003, 09:37 AM
I really doubt this will happen. I have been told by numerous BMW/NA people that the car has been pushed off indefenitly. Why? Well, for starters BMW actually brought in owners to voice opinions. Most weren't very happy. BMW also said that they weren't going to sell a car that wasn't leap and bounds over the current E39. Think about it, the other guys are still chasing the E39 and can't compete. BMW is probably a bit nervous about loosing the market share on the 5er.
Lastly, the new model is definitly a major step back and its unlikley that any of the photos or interior shots will make it to market.
Did you know the E39 was voted one of the 10 best cars ever made over seas?
How do you compete with that?

PropellerHead
01-15-2003, 09:44 AM
Woohooo!! Buggy 5's by June!

I cant wait to set my sites on a 2008/09 540(545?). Maybe by then, the track car will be another 2002- but an M5, not a '75 :bigpimp: :bigpimp:

Hey, we get to dream. And I'll be nearly 40. On second thought, maybe an MZ5? Ahhh, the ageless dreaming of those who have yet to age.

PhilH
01-15-2003, 09:50 AM
Originally posted by jzdinan540i
I really doubt this will happen. I have been told by numerous BMW/NA people that the car has been pushed off indefenitly...
Lastly, the new model is definitly a major step back and its unlikley that any of the photos or interior shots will make it to market.
Sounds like wishful thinking, but I hope you're right.

Mr. The Edge
01-15-2003, 09:53 AM
I tend to trust Mr B's information

:D

Jetfire
01-15-2003, 10:11 AM
I doubt the indefinite delay story as well. I can't wait to see the reviews of this puppy.

Alex Baumann
01-15-2003, 11:13 AM
I really doubt this will happen. I have been told by numerous BMW/NA people that the car has been pushed off indefenitly. Why? Well, for starters BMW actually brought in owners to voice opinions. Most weren't very happy. BMW also said that they weren't going to sell a car that wasn't leap and bounds over the current E39. Think about it, the other guys are still chasing the E39 and can't compete. BMW is probably a bit nervous about loosing the market share on the 5er.
Did you know the E39 was voted one of the 10 best cars ever made over seas?
How do you compete with that?

Pushed off indefinitely ? E60 is/was (officialy) announced to appear in Frankfurt IAA.

A bit nervous about loosing market share ? Since the launch of the new Mercedes E-Class, E39 lost 20% market share. This is more that 'a bit' nervous.

I know that the E39 was voted the best business class car in 2001. But that doesn't automatically means that BMW AG is not able to build a better one.

Finally, the development of the E60 is completed. There was an official presentation for the dealers back in December 2002.

Dr. Phil
01-15-2003, 11:20 AM
Originally posted by Alex Baumann
Finally, the development of the E60 is completed. There was an official presentation for the dealers back in December 2002.
And why have you yet to post pictures from said event :confused: :p Don't tell us you don't have any :angel: :D

Alex Baumann
01-15-2003, 11:22 AM
Originally posted by PM 325xiT
And why have you yet to post pictures from said event :confused: :p Don't tell us you don't have any :angel: :D

I swear that I have tried my best to bribe them, but no go :D

Dr. Phil
01-15-2003, 11:23 AM
Keep on them :angel: :thumbup:

shabbaman
01-15-2003, 11:42 AM
According to insider information, the upcoming 5 Series may hit the market in July and not, as expected, in September 2003 on the IAA in Frankfurt.
[hr]

Except for the Z3 convertible (which was a brand new category of car for BMW)
When was the last time that BMW Ever released a car in the summertime

PhilH
01-15-2003, 11:58 AM
Snip from an article in Autoweek, which was put on their website two days ago...

...The two biggest factors in BMW's big volume plans are the X3 sport wagon, which will debut in the U.S. around January 2004; and the 1 series, a new small car due in late 2004. BMW unveiled the xActivity concept vehicle, which is close to the X3 production car, at the Detroit auto show...

BMW also will introduce a redesigned 5 series, due in the United States around September, and a new 6 series coupe and convertible, due in the U.S. market in the spring of 2004...

Tom Purves, chairman of BMW (US) Holding Corp., said in another interview that BMW's U.S. sales could top 300,000, even before the 1 series reaches the United States, probably a few months after its European debut.

It seems the US launch is usually (almost always?) a couple months after the European launch, so if the E60 is "due in the United States around September" it should be out in Germany a few months before that.

http://www.autoweek.com/cat_content.mv?port_code=autoweek&cat_code=carnews&loc_code=index&content_code=07732734

bmw325
01-15-2003, 12:05 PM

Did you get the impression from dealers you talked to that the car is Bangled? To what degree? Is the interior definitely going to be a flat ugly expanse a la e65 and Buick?

Alex Baumann
01-15-2003, 12:09 PM
Originally posted by robg
Did you get the impression from dealers you talked to that the car is Bangled? To what degree? Is the interior definitely going to be a flat ugly expanse a la e65 and Buick?

They won't tell anything at the moment. It's strictly forbidden.

PhilH
01-15-2003, 12:18 PM
Ja. Verboten.

PhilH
01-15-2003, 12:38 PM
So, if the car is to go on sale in Europe in July, it almost seems it would it be at the Geneva show in March?!

http://www.geneva-palexpo.ch/site_repository/resources/SalonAutolowdef.jpg

http://www.geneva-palexpo.ch/en/Home/Manifestations/detail.php?event_id=34&year=2003

Mr. The Edge
01-15-2003, 12:41 PM
Originally posted by PhilH
So, if the car is to go on sale in Europe in July, it almost seems it would it be at the Geneva show in March?!

http://www.geneva-palexpo.ch/site_repository/resources/SalonAutolowdef.jpg

http://www.geneva-palexpo.ch/en/Home/Manifestations/detail.php?event_id=34&year=2003

yes. I read this on roadfly:

"AUTOCAR(I do not know exactly which week, I believe the Jan 1, 2003 edition) said the new E60 5 series will debut at Geneva in March. This magazine did a preview of all upcoming models for the 2003 season. According to the mag, a 500hp V-10 M5 will arrive in Europe late 2003 as a model year 2004."

Patrick
01-16-2003, 09:45 AM
Buy a new E39 while you still can. :eeps:

jzdinan540i
01-17-2003, 07:35 AM
The Detroit Auto Show indicated many things. First off, the new 5er wasn't anywhere to be seen because according to BMW they were arfraid the Bangle Butt would scare people away (Although I stand by my comments above, and believe BMW is scrambling to make the car more attractive). In fact, Autoweek made mention of this and how BMW is usually the show's number one booth has now gone into hiding.
BMW is on its heals, and its a shame. Its amazing the deals you can cut on the once hot BMW's. Mcoupes for 10K off List. E39 530's for 525 pricing. 63% residual's on X5's.
They are giving them away because no one is buying. Economy has something to do with this yes, but the new cars aren't helping. The Z4 looks like a Honda for CHrist Sakes.

Jetfire
01-17-2003, 08:00 AM
The Detroit Auto Show indicated many things. First off, the new 5er wasn't anywhere to be seen because according to BMW they were arfraid the Bangle Butt would scare people away (Although I stand by my comments above, and believe BMW is scrambling to make the car more attractive). In fact, Autoweek made mention of this and how BMW is usually the show's number one booth has now gone into hiding.
BMW is on its heals, and its a shame. Its amazing the deals you can cut on the once hot BMW's. Mcoupes for 10K off List. E39 530's for 525 pricing. 63% residual's on X5's.
They are giving them away because no one is buying. Economy has something to do with this yes, but the new cars aren't helping. The Z4 looks like a Honda for CHrist Sakes.

Not sure where you're getting your info re: Detroit, but BMW's booth has probably never been number one. And I never heard, not once, that BMW was planning to debut the E60 in Detroit. As a matter of fact, everything I'd heard until very recently suggested that the new 5 wasn't going to be made available until much later this year.

The last model year of the M Coupe was 2002 so it makes sense to find new ones being discounted today. I haven't shopped for an E39 or an X5 lately, but I suspect that the economy has more to do with it than anything else. "The new cars" shouldn't have any effect on X5 or E39 sales. And from what I can tell, the Z4 isn't hated by the public any more than the E65 outside of the fest.

jzdinan540i
01-17-2003, 08:36 AM
go read this weeks autoweek. BMW is one of the most popular booths-period.