PDA

View Full Version : Metallic Tint and Radar Detectors

pres330xi
01-15-2003, 08:00 AM
I was curious to see if anybody has had metallic tint installed and had any issues with their radar detectors. After doing a little of research, I came across an article in Car and Driver where they claimed the metallic tint they tested severely reduced the radar detector's range.

http://www.caranddriver.com/xp/Caranddriver/features/1998/August/199808_feature_howdo.xml

Unfortunately, my tinter/xpel installer claims that non metallic tint will turn purple after a three years, and I plan on keeping the car for longer than that. Any thoughts/solutions? As of now, I'm holding off on the tint due to my previous investment in a V1.

Edit - link broken

F1Crazy
01-15-2003, 09:50 AM
Are you talking about metallic or metalized tint?
I think there is a difference, metallic tint being mirror like looking type of tint and I can see how it can interfere with radar detectors.
Metalized tints are the ones that don't use any dye and never turn purple and most have lifetime warranty. That type is most common good quality tint and it shouldn't cause any problems with your detector.
If you're still worried 3M makes dyed non-metalized tint called Colorstable and they say it'll never change color and it comes with lifetime warranty. That's the one i'll probably get for my car this spring.;)

AB
01-15-2003, 10:10 AM
Originally posted by pres330xi
I was curious to see if anybody has had metallic tint installed and had any issues with their radar detectors. After doing a little of research, I came across an article in Car and Driver where they claimed the metallic tint they tested severely reduced the radar detector's range.

Well, my car has a metallic tint, and I have a V1. I have noticed NO degradation of performance on the V1, as it warns me far in advance (both from the front and the rear).